ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Set(m)-applying 28 days prior to end of qualifying period

Only for queries regarding Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR). Please use the EU Settlement Scheme forum for queries about settled status under Appendix EU

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

andrea878
Newly Registered
South Africa

SET (m) ILR English language requirement

Post by andrea878 » Sat Feb 16, 2019 2:05 pm

hello,

I'm applying for ILR SET(m). I'd like some clarification on the english language requirement.

I have my university degree (Masters degree from University of Cape Town in South Africa), as well as a letter from my university confirming that the degree was taught in english. (These documents were accepted as evidence for the english language requirement when I applied for FLR in 2016)

Do I now need to also provide verification form the NARIC?

thank you

Andrea

bizman
Diamond Member
Mood:

Re: SET (m) ILR English language requirement

Post by bizman » Sat Feb 16, 2019 4:33 pm

A masters degree from university of Cape Town this is ok
Bizman

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Sat Feb 16, 2019 7:07 pm

bizman wrote:
Sat Feb 16, 2019 4:33 pm
Why do you say that. It is a foreign degree and needs NARIC red route.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

bizman
Diamond Member
Mood:

Post by bizman » Sat Feb 16, 2019 9:01 pm

I forgot to respond to second question. Yes he needs NARICS verification
Bizman

andrea878
Newly Registered
South Africa

Post by andrea878 » Sun Feb 17, 2019 12:15 pm

CR001 wrote:
Sat Feb 16, 2019 7:07 pm
bizman wrote:
Hi, My question is: Do I need to provide the NARIC verification if the degree alone (without NARIC verification) was previously accepted as part of my successful FLR application in 2016.

The reason I'm wondering is because the Home Office guidance states: A partner or parent applying for leave to enter or remain who has an academic qualification which was accepted as part of a successful previous application as a partner or parent is not required to provide further evidence of that academic qualification.

and:

"you do not need to see additional confirmation from NARIC where the:
• Home Office have previously accepted a degree qualification as meeting the requirements for an earlier application, and leave was granted"

bizman
Diamond Member
Mood:

Post by bizman » Mon Feb 18, 2019 9:20 am

That’s correct, quote that rule in a cover letter along with your application and tell them you have satisfied this in previous application
Bizman

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Mon Feb 18, 2019 9:28 am

You do of course risk being refused ILR due to not submitting NARIC for a foreign degree and losing the ILR fee (yes, there have been many refusals for this very reason). If ILR is refused, you then risk HO putting you on the FLR(FP) 10 year partner route and you will need to pay £1000 IHS for this (many have had this unfortunate experience in recent weeks).

For the sake of £150 for NARIC red route or the 10 minute B1 test, you risk losing a couple of thousand £££.

Personally, I am not a fan of taking risks with HO and would pay the £150 for NARIC or test.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

bizman
Diamond Member
Mood:

Post by bizman » Mon Feb 18, 2019 9:40 am

Though the rule is clear about this and I remember Marcnarth also used previous English test for his ILR application, however in rational thinking and taking utmost precautions with HO, what you said is valid. OP can just spend £150 and get the English language test sorted. It’s not a big deal. You should pass it easily.
Bizman

ramsprk

Post by ramsprk » Mon Feb 18, 2019 10:59 am

CR001 wrote:
Sat Feb 16, 2019 7:07 pm
bizman wrote:
Hi CR001,

If it is a Foreign does it really required to be a NARIC red route? I have my old NARIC certificates which i was used for my previous visa extension.

Please let me know?

Thakns
RP

andrea878
Newly Registered
South Africa

Post by andrea878 » Mon Feb 18, 2019 2:14 pm

CR001 wrote:
Mon Feb 18, 2019 9:28 am
You do of course risk being refused ILR due to not submitting NARIC for a foreign degree and losing the ILR fee (yes, there have been many refusals for this very reason). If ILR is refused, you then risk HO putting you on the FLR(FP) 10 year partner route and you will need to pay £1000 IHS for this (many have had this unfortunate experience in recent weeks).

For the sake of £150 for NARIC red route or the 10 minute B1 test, you risk losing a couple of thousand £££.

Personally, I am not a fan of taking risks with HO and would pay the £150 for NARIC or test.
Thanks, agreed - not going to risk it!

andrea878
Newly Registered
South Africa

ILR SET (M) Surname Discrepancy in Documents

Post by andrea878 » Fri Feb 22, 2019 9:29 am

hello,

I'm currently applying for ILR Set(M)

There is a surname discrepancy between my payslips and my bank statements and i'm concerned it may cause a problem.

Basically, for all official purposes (i.e bank accounts, utilities etc.) I use my family surname, which is still in my passport.
However for work and everyday purposes I use my married surname.

So, my payslips are currently made out to my married surname (Petra xxxxx yyyyyy) , which i use for work and everyday purposes, while my bank statements are still made out to my family surname (Petra xxxxxxx bbbbbbbb).

I've just not had the opportunity to swap my passport over to my married name as it requires requesting new residency card etc etc.

It is clearly evident that it is me - and I have marriage certificates etc to justify this.

Also, for my FLR application in 2016, i justified this with a simple cover letter explaining the situation.

Do you think i can do the same for this application?

Thanks!

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: ILR SET (M) Surname Discrepancy in Documents

Post by CR001 » Fri Feb 22, 2019 9:33 am

andrea878 wrote:
Fri Feb 22, 2019 9:29 am
hello,

I'm currently applying for ILR Set(M)

There is a surname discrepancy between my payslips and my bank statements and i'm concerned it may cause a problem.

Basically, for all official purposes (i.e bank accounts, utilities etc.) I use my family surname, which is still in my passport.
However for work and everyday purposes I use my married surname.

So, my payslips are currently made out to my married surname (Petra xxxxx yyyyyy) , which i use for work and everyday purposes, while my bank statements are still made out to my family surname (Petra xxxxxxx bbbbbbbb).

I've just not had the opportunity to swap my passport over to my married name as it requires requesting new residency card etc etc.

It is clearly evident that it is me - and I have marriage certificates etc to justify this.

Also, for my FLR application in 2016, i justified this with a simple cover letter explaining the situation.

Do you think i can do the same for this application?

Thanks!
Not an issue.
Char (CR001 not Casa)

andrea878
Newly Registered
South Africa

Set (m) - absence allowance

Post by andrea878 » Sun Feb 24, 2019 12:05 pm

Hello,

Does anybody know how many days 'absence' from the UK are allowed when applying for Set(m) / 5year route?

thanks

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: Set (m) - absence allowance

Post by CR001 » Sun Feb 24, 2019 12:07 pm

andrea878 wrote:
Sun Feb 24, 2019 12:05 pm
Hello,

Does anybody know how many days 'absence' from the UK are allowed when applying for Set(m) / 5year route?

thanks
There is no absence limit for Set M spouse visa holders.
Char (CR001 not Casa)

andrea878
Newly Registered
South Africa

Set(m)-applying 28 days prior to end of qualifying period

Post by andrea878 » Sun Feb 24, 2019 1:06 pm

Hi,

I understand there is a general rule that applies to all immigration applications, where you can apply 28 day before reaching the end of the qualifying period (60 months).

I cant seem to find any evidence that this applies specifically to SET(m) 5 year route applications.

Is there anywhere that specifically states this?
I dont want to risk applying too early if it doesnt apply to this category.

thanks

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: Set(m)-applying 28 days prior to end of qualifying period

Post by CR001 » Sun Feb 24, 2019 1:16 pm

Please desist from starting a new topic with each question you have. Keep ALL questions on your set m in ONE topic, this one, merged again!!
Char (CR001 not Casa)

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: Set(m)-applying 28 days prior to end of qualifying period

Post by CR001 » Sun Feb 24, 2019 1:17 pm

andrea878 wrote:
Sun Feb 24, 2019 1:06 pm
Hi,

I understand there is a general rule that applies to all immigration applications, where you can apply 28 day before reaching the end of the qualifying period (60 months).

I cant seem to find any evidence that this applies specifically to SET(m) 5 year route applications.

Is there anywhere that specifically states this?
I dont want to risk applying too early if it doesnt apply to this category.

thanks
It applies to all visa routes. Many have done it, myself included.

You are perhaps overthinking a little.
Char (CR001 not Casa)