ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Irish Citizenship Mother/father Present nationality

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

Nandarc
Newly Registered
Ireland

Irish Citizenship Mother/father Present nationality

Post by Nandarc » Fri Feb 22, 2019 1:46 pm

Hi this question might sound silly but I don't want to risk it... My parents are both born in Brazil but they have Irish citizenship. I'm currently applying for Irish nationality and citizenship myself,
In Section 8: Family Details
8.1 Write the full name of your father and mother and in each case their date of birth, the
place and country where they were born and their present nationality. Under PRESENT NATIONALITY, should I write Brazilian, Irish or Brazilian/Irish? :?:
Many thanks,

Nandarc
Newly Registered
Ireland

Citizenship: Social Welfare payment (IQA)

Post by Nandarc » Fri Feb 22, 2019 2:00 pm

Hi, I have been legally living In Ireland for the past 13 years and for one reason or another I felt the need to hold off on applying for citizenship, mostly because I was afraid It would be refused, this time is no different but I really want to go ahead with it.

Question: In the application Form 8 - 9.5 Have you received a Social Assistance
payment or other State support in the past 3 years?
I have never claimed Social Welfare in my own right, however my cohabiting partner have received an Increase as a Qualified Adult (IQA) for me for a couple of the 3 years, should my answer to this question be 'Yes'?
What are the odds I will get refused because of that?
If it gets refused, can they refuse to renew my Stamp 4 when It expires?

littlerr
Respected Guru
China

Re: Irish Citizenship Mother/father Present nationality

Post by littlerr » Fri Feb 22, 2019 2:48 pm

Can you not avail of FBR? Is one of your parent an Irish citizen when you were born?

If your parents have dual citizenship, of course just put both of them in.

I can’t answer the question about social benefit but i would suggest that you be upfront about it. Better disclose it yourself than waiting for INIS to find out. Good luck.

PasadenaTom
United States of America

Post by PasadenaTom » Fri Feb 22, 2019 10:26 pm

How did your parents get Irish citizenship? Foreign Birth Registration would a better option than naturalisation, as there are no questions about receiving social assistance, and no residency requirements (and no ceremonys to attend). Whether you can use that option depends on how your parents became Irish citizens.

If at least one of your grandparents was born in Ireland, you have a parent that is automatically a citizen. In that case, you can apply for Foreign Birth Registration (FBR) to claim Irish citizenship.

If your parents are naturalised Irish citizens, you can apply for Foreign Birth Registration IF they became citizens before you were born.

If your parents became citizens by Foreign Birth Registration themselves (most likely by having Irish grandparents), you can apply for Foreign Birth Registration - but only if at least one of your parents registered their birth before you were born.

PasadenaTom
United States of America

Post by PasadenaTom » Fri Feb 22, 2019 11:08 pm

FBR can also cost less. While the naturalisation application fee is "only" €175, it appears that when approved, you will also need to pay a €950 certification fee. for FBR, application plus certificate fees are €278. You may also need to pay for copies of documents (like birth certificates).