ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Foreign Birth Registration?

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

zippy12
Newly Registered

Re: Foreign Birth Registration?

Post by zippy12 » Fri Feb 22, 2019 2:31 pm

Hi danmur,

Unfortunately, I can't give you better news....
I submitted my passport application on 21st January, at Glasgow PO. It appeared on the online tracking system on the 25th January and gave an ETA issue date of 15th February. That date was reached last Friday, and the progress bar had reached the end. When I checked again over the next few days, the ETA date hadn't changed, but the progress bar had gone into reverse!! I checked earlier today, and the ETA date is still 15th February, and the progress bar is now sitting at about 80%.

I was told by the PO Clerk in Glasgow when I submitted my application that they were now going to Cork and that they were taking about 3 weeks (even first-time applications like mine - I checked!).

The DFA website states that the turnaround time for first-time applications from Great Britain is a minimum of 48 working days, which for me would be around the 3rd of April. However, the website also states that applications sent by Great Britain Passport Express, which mine was, should take about 13 working days. Which one is correct? - it's difficult to tell....

Fingers crossed that it might actually be somewhere in between.....

Let me know how it goes with your application?

I hope you have better luck!
Regards, zippy12
danmur wrote:
Tue Jan 15, 2019 9:36 pm
Hello Zippy12,

Sorry been away on holiday first time checking this in a few weeks.

Sent my passport application away on Saturday 9th February and it’s giving me an ETA issue date the second week in March.
Have you had any luck receiving yours yet?
[/quote]

Asdf1234
Newly Registered
Canada

Post by Asdf1234 » Fri Feb 22, 2019 3:22 pm

PasadenaTom wrote:
Wed Feb 20, 2019 5:04 pm
mayorob wrote:
Wed Feb 20, 2019 11:36 am

Fair enough, you guys have me questioning myself now! I would go to my Doctor but even that is no longer on the list on the FBR website!

Here is a screenshot from my form, generated last week:

I think it would be incredibly harsh if they rejected it considering this is exactly what it says, but as you guys say, probably not worth the risk if I can somehow find a lawyer or police officer...
I had no doubt that bank manager was on your application, because I could see that it was still listed on other official websites (like the San Francisco consulate and London embassy).

It was my impression that you had already mailed your application. If you haven't, your options might be
  • Send it as-is and hope they accept it.
  • Contact DFA, point out that your application says your witness is OK, and ask them to explain the discrepancy
  • Get a new witness whose profession is on the website list what they will accept
One thing I wonder about is the knowledge level of the person on the other end of your last webchat with them. They may have simply looked at the website, and not seeing "bank manager", just told you they wouldn't accept it. It is possible that they changed their policy, and won't accept that profession as a witness any longer. But maybe it's a mistake on the website? It may be a long and futile exercise. But you probably need someone at a manager/supervisor level to explain which witness list is authoritative.
I just talked to a webchat agent and asked about the recent changes to the witness list, etc. The agent said “Medical Doctor is still accepted.”

I confirmed that the agent was referring to FBR. I continued asking the agent some other stuff and the agent mentioned there are different requirements for different countries regarding the application process.

The agent referred me to the “Registering a Foreign Birth - Born Abroad” website. I informed the agent that this is the website that removed Medical Doctor from the list. The agent’s response was “Medical Doctor is still accepted.”

So, I have no idea haha.

PasadenaTom
United States of America

Post by PasadenaTom » Fri Feb 22, 2019 6:44 pm

Asdf1234 wrote:
Fri Feb 22, 2019 3:22 pm
...the agent mentioned there are different requirements for different countries regarding the application process.
If I remember correctly, there have been some earlier posts that confirm that there are some differences in requirements, depending on the country where the applicant lives.
Asdf1234 wrote:
... The agent’s response was “Medical Doctor is still accepted.”
Given the response you got on webchat, and the fact that "Medical Doctor" is printed on mayorob's application, they should honor that application...
Asdf1234 wrote:
So, I have no idea haha.
...but I wouldn't bet my life savings on it.

kmosfet
Newly Registered
Canada

Post by kmosfet » Fri Feb 22, 2019 7:23 pm

Asdf1234 wrote:
PasadenaTom wrote:
mayorob wrote:

Fair enough, you guys have me questioning myself now! I would go to my Doctor but even that is no longer on the list on the FBR website!

I think it would be incredibly harsh if they rejected it considering this is exactly what it says, but as you guys say, probably not worth the risk if I can somehow find a lawyer or police officer...
I had no doubt that bank manager was on your application, because I could see that it was still listed on other official websites (like the San Francisco consulate and London embassy).

It was my impression that you had already mailed your application. If you haven't, your options might be
  • Contact DFA, point out that your application says your witness is OK, and ask them to explain the discrepancy
  • Get a new witness whose profession is on the website list what they will accept
One thing I wonder about is the knowledge level of the person on the other end of your last webchat with them. They may have simply looked at the website, and not seeing "bank manager", just told you they wouldn't accept it. It is possible that they changed their policy, and won't accept that profession as a witness any longer. But maybe it's a mistake on the website? It may be a long and futile exercise. But you probably need someone at a manager/supervisor level to explain which witness list is authoritative.
I just talked to a webchat agent and asked about the recent changes to the witness list, etc. The agent said “Medical Doctor is still accepted.”

I confirmed that the agent was referring to FBR. I continued asking the agent some other stuff and the agent mentioned there are different requirements for different countries regarding the application process.

The agent referred me to the “Registering a Foreign Birth - Born Abroad” website. I informed the agent that this is the website that removed Medical Doctor from the list. The agent’s response was “Medical Doctor is still accepted.”

So, I have no idea haha.

Hey Asdf1234

I can see you're also Canadian. Would be super cool to keep up with someone else who's waiting for their FBR in my own country. I received my confirmation email Jan 10th. Let me know where you're at in the process or what issues that have come up for you.

I am curious if we are in different waiting queues per country. I was directed to send mine directly to Dublin and received a confirmation nearly a week later. It seems the people in Britain aren't having the same luck. Could that mean we might have a different waiting time?

Thanks

spiderplants

Post by spiderplants » Fri Feb 22, 2019 7:46 pm

kmosfet wrote:
Fri Feb 22, 2019 7:23 pm

It seems the people in Britain aren't having the same luck. Could that mean we might have a different waiting time?

Thanks
I sent mine to London in September and got my confirmation of receipt email a few days later. I wonder if I'll get another email from Dublin?

This thread has been noticeably devoid of any good news since the start of the year, at least. Posters used to be posting their timelines all the time.

Asdf1234
Newly Registered
Canada

Post by Asdf1234 » Fri Feb 22, 2019 8:11 pm

kmosfet wrote:
Asdf1234 wrote:
PasadenaTom wrote:
mayorob wrote:

So, I have no idea haha.

Hey Asdf1234

I can see you're also Canadian. Would be super cool to keep up with someone else who's waiting for their FBR in my own country. I received my confirmation email Jan 10th. Let me know where you're at in the process or what issues that have come up for you.

I am curious if we are in different waiting queues per country. I was directed to send mine directly to Dublin and received a confirmation nearly a week later. It seems the people in Britain aren't having the same luck. Could that mean we might have a different waiting time?

Thanks
I sent by application off with tracking on Dec 1, 2018 and tracking showed that it was received on Dec 6. I got an automated email from DFA later that day (Dec 6) which confirmed that they have received my application and supporting documentation and that I would be contacted if they needed anything else. I haven’t heard anything since.

On webchat today, I asked the agent for some general timeline information. I explained that I submitted my application in December and was wondering what month of applications they are currently on. The agent said I should check back around May for an update as my application will likely be in the queue for the next little while. The agent did not give me any information about what month they are on.

I will keep you posted on any updates, but it’s likely I won’t hear anything for at least a few more months.

Court2

Post by Court2 » Sat Feb 23, 2019 9:35 pm

Still claiming ‘5-6 months’ on the DFA website. Not very honest considering the real life experience and genuine delays of well over 6-9 months throughout this forum.

caferacer
Australia

Post by caferacer » Sun Feb 24, 2019 5:15 pm

Jusr revisited this forum, itsbeen a good while...My first thoughts reading some of the recent posts
mirrored my own frustrations at the wait,...*i think it was only 26 pages when i first applied), my application took 6 months just about to the day from sending my app to London last year...I had an email, i think after about 5 months to provide one more doc, which was damaged, no worries, they provided a web
link to the folks in Dublin to get this cert again, all good.

I was over the moon when the FBR cert rolled up, an email was received 3 weeks before this telling me im now Irish, which was very welcome.

I took the bus to Liverpool, and did the express 3 weeks PP application, i can only say how great this process was, the staff at the PO were very good, they sent me to get the right size photos, and also a local solicitor to get them witnessed, all close by, cost 5 or 10 quid i cant remember, but the solicitor knew the process inside out and even cut the photos for me, then back to the PO to submitt all, they baged it all up..3 weeks later, i had my Passport, via signed for...i was done with stressing out, over the previous 6 months, i knew now the PP was just a formality, so i didnt check any progress websites, 3 weeks was nothing...I work away
alot and am proud and very happy to pass over my Irish PP to immigration whereever i am.....Thx Grandad!...Getting my PP meant more to me than all my school and Uni certificates, it was an emotional day..all the best

Michael123
Member of Standing
United States of America

Post by Michael123 » Sun Feb 24, 2019 5:58 pm

caferacer wrote:
Sun Feb 24, 2019 5:15 pm
Jusr revisited this forum, itsbeen a good while...My first thoughts reading some of the recent posts
mirrored my own frustrations at the wait,...*i think it was only 26 pages when i first applied), my application took 6 months just about to the day from sending my app to London last year...I had an email, i think after about 5 months to provide one more doc, which was damaged, no worries, they provided a web

I was over the moon when the FBR cert rolled up, an email was received 3 weeks before this telling me im now Irish, which was very welcome.

I took the bus to Liverpool, and did the express 3 weeks PP application, i can only say how great this process was, the staff at the PO were very good, they sent me to get the right size photos, and also a local solicitor to get them witnessed, all close by, cost 5 or 10 quid i cant remember, but the solicitor knew the process inside out and even cut the photos for me, then back to the PO to submitt all, they baged it all up..3 weeks later, i had my Passport, via signed for...i was done with stressing out, over the previous 6 months, i knew now the PP was just a formality, so i didnt check any progress websites, 3 weeks was nothing...I work away
alot and am proud and very happy to pass over my Irish PP to immigration whereever i am.....Thx Grandad!...Getting my PP meant more to me than all my school and Uni certificates, it was an emotional day..all the best

When did you apply for the FBR?

Sulla
Member of Standing
Portugal

Post by Sulla » Mon Feb 25, 2019 12:19 am

Caferacer

Just revisited this forum, its been a good while...My first thoughts reading some of the recent posts
mirrored my own frustrations at the wait,...*i think it was only 26 pages when i first applied), my application took 6 months just about to the day from sending my app to London last year...I had an email, I think after about 5 months to provide one more doc, which was damaged, no worries, they provided a web

If you applied when this thread was at 26 pages long, then that puts your initial application in Mid-February 2018. Things have moved on quite a bit from that stage it seems, in terms of wait times. I will receive my FBR at about 7 months - if the assurances from the embassy are to believed. I had no document that needed to be replaced or explained.

Unfortunately, my wait time is far from the worst. Others are being told to expect far lengthier processing periods. It's a frustrating time for many.

PasadenaTom
United States of America

Post by PasadenaTom » Mon Feb 25, 2019 1:17 am

Caferacer appears to have submitted an application some time in November 2017, and was entered in the FBR on 9 May 2018.

mmm5892
Newly Registered
United States of America

Post by mmm5892 » Mon Feb 25, 2019 9:41 am

I currently have all my documentation completed and ready to submit my FBR...unfortunately I'm still waiting for my adoption certificate to be sent to me so I can include with the FBR application.

Does anyone know what the procedures are for submitting proof of residency? I'm currently away from home for awhile, and the person I left my documents with will send it when the adoption certificate arrives. The problem is that my proof of residency is from December. Given the lengthy processing times for the FBR, has anyone had any issues with their proof of residency "expiring" ?

Thanks in advance!

upliam
United States of America

Post by upliam » Mon Feb 25, 2019 2:45 pm

Court2 wrote:
Sat Feb 23, 2019 9:35 pm
Still claiming ‘5-6 months’ on the DFA website. Not very honest considering the real life experience and genuine delays of well over 6-9 months throughout this forum.
Last week I was informed by the DFA via WebChat "The current turnaround time is 8 to 9 Months Minimum".
They also said this timeline applies to "All Applications in the System".
Not welcome news for those of us on this forum waiting for approvals.

Court2

Post by Court2 » Mon Feb 25, 2019 4:13 pm

upliam wrote:
Mon Feb 25, 2019 2:45 pm
Court2 wrote:
Last week I was informed by the DFA via WebChat "The current turnaround time is 8 to 9 Months Minimum".
Somewhat disingenuous what the DFA write on their website (5-6 months) which appears based on 2018 which is evidently no where near as busy as the end of last year was and this year as Brexit nears.

The whole process of FBR citizenship by descent would benefit with a transformation to the same level of service as the passport applications. Even having a basic estimate of the current expected return time rather than applicants being kept in the dark. What’s the point in our application numbers aside from the DFA giving the stock answer “delay not determined, wait”.

Same applies to how some applicants are told “congrats you’re an Irish citizen” and others just receive a special delivery out of the blue. Appears that the latter is more common more often than not.

Michael123
Member of Standing
United States of America

Post by Michael123 » Mon Feb 25, 2019 7:06 pm

Asdf1234 wrote:
Fri Feb 22, 2019 8:11 pm
kmosfet wrote:
Asdf1234 wrote:
PasadenaTom wrote:

So, I have no idea haha.

Hey Asdf1234

Thanks
I sent by application off with tracking on Dec 1, 2018 and tracking showed that it was received on Dec 6. I got an automated email from DFA later that day (Dec 6) which confirmed that they have received my application and supporting documentation and that I would be contacted if they needed anything else. I haven’t heard anything since.

On webchat today, I asked the agent for some general timeline information. I explained that I submitted my application in December and was wondering what month of applications they are currently on. The agent said I should check back around May for an update as my application will likely be in the queue for the next little while. The agent did not give me any information about what month they are on.

I will keep you posted on any updates, but it’s likely I won’t hear anything for at least a few more months.
If you were told May, that’s definitely not true. May would place you around 5 months. I am over 6 months now. My application was recieved in Aug and I was told not to expect anything until May-June and I am 4 months ahead of you. They probably just didn’t want to hear you getting mad when they said August 2019

Michael123
Member of Standing
United States of America

Post by Michael123 » Mon Feb 25, 2019 7:07 pm

Asdf1234 wrote:
Fri Feb 22, 2019 8:11 pm
kmosfet wrote:
Asdf1234 wrote:
PasadenaTom wrote:

So, I have no idea haha.

Hey Asdf1234

Thanks

If you were told May, that’s definitely not true. May would place you around 5 months. I am over 6 months now. My application was recieved in Aug and I was told not to expect anything until May-June and I am 4 months ahead of you. They probably just didn’t want to hear you getting mad when they said August 2019

spike18
Newly Registered

Post by spike18 » Mon Feb 25, 2019 9:24 pm

Like many others, I have been following this forum with interest.

I submitted my application (and received the email confirming receipt) in early September, so I am approaching my six-month anniversary. I have read the accounts of increasingly inconsistent statements from the DFA with some concern.

However, what really concerns me is the lack of any recent posts confirming receipt of either the email confirming citizenship or receipt of an FBR certificate.

Although some delay resulting from the office handling FBR applications moving is understandable, the complete lack of any positive news at all is rather disquieting!

Michael123
Member of Standing
United States of America

Post by Michael123 » Mon Feb 25, 2019 9:30 pm

upliam wrote:
Mon Feb 25, 2019 2:45 pm
Court2 wrote:

That does not make sense to me! If I was in line at the store waiting to pay, 100 people walked in , how does that effect my place in line? Wouldn’t those people be behind me in line?

PasadenaTom
United States of America

Post by PasadenaTom » Mon Feb 25, 2019 11:12 pm

Michael123 wrote:
Mon Feb 25, 2019 9:30 pm
That does not make sense to me! If I was in line at the store waiting to pay, 100 people walked in , how does that effect my place in line? Wouldn’t those people be behind me in line?
Yes, those 100 people would be behind you. But unlike in a store, you don't know how many people joined the line ahead of you. If (1) the FBR certificates they are now issuing have been in-house for 8-9 months, (2) the flow of applications has remained constant, and (3) they haven't changed the number of staff available to process them, that estimate may remain until the flow drops off or they add staff to handle the increase.

I don't think that means you have to wait another 8-9 months, if that is your concern. I think it just means total wait time could be that long.

We don't really know how long it takes to process an individual application, once it actually has someone's attention at DFA, because we don't know what they do beyond checking that the required documents are present. Do they contact witnesses? Do they contact the places where birth/death/marriage certificates are issued? I would be surprised if they spent more than a couple of weeks on a straightforward application. Maybe I am wrong. But if I am correct, then most of the wait is "queue" time. It's possible (but not verifiable) that the queue had a large spike in the weeks before you applied. If that were the case, and volume stayed unusually high, it might take them quite a while to work off the backlog.

Not great news for you, I know. And, I've been looking forward to seeing you announce your citizenship. I think your application is a slam dunk, if someone can just look at it.

Michael123
Member of Standing
United States of America

Post by Michael123 » Tue Feb 26, 2019 12:07 am

PasadenaTom wrote:
Mon Feb 25, 2019 11:12 pm
Michael123 wrote:
Mon Feb 25, 2019 9:30 pm
Yes, those 100 people would be behind you. But unlike in a store, you don't know how many people joined the line ahead of you. If (1) the FBR certificates they are now issuing have been in-house for 8-9 months, (2) the flow of applications has remained constant, and (3) they haven't changed the number of staff available to process them, that estimate may remain until the flow drops off or they add staff to handle the increase.

I don't think that means you have to wait another 8-9 months, if that is your concern. I think it just means total wait time could be that long.

We don't really know how long it takes to process an individual application, once it actually has someone's attention at DFA, because we don't know what they do beyond checking that the required documents are present. Do they contact witnesses? Do they contact the places where birth/death/marriage certificates are issued? I would be surprised if they spent more than a couple of weeks on a straightforward application. Maybe I am wrong. But if I am correct, then most of the wait is "queue" time. It's possible (but not verifiable) that the queue had a large spike in the weeks before you applied. If that were the case, and volume stayed unusually high, it might take them quite a while to work off the backlog.

Not great news for you, I know. And, I've been looking forward to seeing you announce your citizenship. I think your application is a slam dunk, if someone can just look at it.
I do know that they do not contact the originating offive where the certificates are issued.

Spav and Sean both of their applications were received on 8/2, both were processed before Christmas, 1 received the FBR cert before Christmas and the other just after, both applicants are now waiting for thier passports (last I heard- maybe recieved by now). Those were recieved 2.5 weeks before mine, how can 2.5 weeks difference equal a 2+ month difference?

rdslight
Newly Registered

Post by rdslight » Tue Feb 26, 2019 1:20 pm

spike18 wrote:
Mon Feb 25, 2019 9:24 pm

I submitted my application (and received the email confirming receipt) in early September, so I am approaching my six-month anniversary. I have read the accounts of increasingly inconsistent statements from the DFA with some concern.

However, what really concerns me is the lack of any recent posts confirming receipt of either the email confirming citizenship or receipt of an FBR certificate.

Although some delay resulting from the office handling FBR applications moving is understandable, the complete lack of any positive news at all is rather disquieting!
Receipt email late July. Just called today to be told still awaiting management approval but not to worry as everything was in order documents wise. The chap estimated end of March for the certificate so looking like 8 months in total.

dublin3
- thin ice -

Post by dublin3 » Tue Feb 26, 2019 2:03 pm

rdslight wrote:
Tue Feb 26, 2019 1:20 pm
spike18 wrote:
Mon Feb 25, 2019 9:24 pm

Receipt email late July. Just called today to be told still awaiting management approval but not to worry as everything was in order documents wise. The chap estimated end of March for the certificate so looking like 8 months in total.
What phone number did you call as the number I have for FBR have a answering machine on. 0035314082555 if you have a different number then this kindly share so I can get an update.
Thanks

PasadenaTom
United States of America

Post by PasadenaTom » Tue Feb 26, 2019 4:30 pm

Michael123 wrote:
Tue Feb 26, 2019 12:07 am
Spav and Sean both of their applications were received on 8/2, both were processed before Christmas, 1 received the FBR cert before Christmas and the other just after, both applicants are now waiting for thier passports (last I heard- maybe recieved by now). Those were recieved 2.5 weeks before mine, how can 2.5 weeks difference equal a 2+ month difference?
I don't think any of us can fully explain that difference without an intimate knowledge of how they work, and what has transpired in terms of volume, staff levels, and staff assignments. I doubt we'll ever know. But we do know that volume is up, and processing efficiency has been affected by incomplete applications. Also, at some point (according to one of your posts last October), they lost some extra staffing that they had for FBR. Volume is up and processing speed and capacity are down. But why it did not affect Sean and Spav as much as it did to you is beyond me.

We also know that DFA handles passports. And passport application volumes have increased dramatically (so much so that Dublin took over processing of them from London). Could they be diverting staff to processing them? Only speculation. But I would expect that they would prioritize passports for existing citizens over FBR applicants.

But then again, maybe a couple of hundered expectant parents recently requested expedited FBR processing? :)

james_mcfc
Newly Registered

Post by james_mcfc » Tue Feb 26, 2019 5:43 pm

zippy12 wrote:
Fri Feb 22, 2019 2:31 pm
Hi danmur,

Unfortunately, I can't give you better news....
I submitted my passport application on 21st January, at Glasgow PO. It appeared on the online tracking system on the 25th January and gave an ETA issue date of 15th February. That date was reached last Friday, and the progress bar had reached the end. When I checked again over the next few days, the ETA date hadn't changed, but the progress bar had gone into reverse!! I checked earlier today, and the ETA date is still 15th February, and the progress bar is now sitting at about 80%.

I was told by the PO Clerk in Glasgow when I submitted my application that they were now going to Cork and that they were taking about 3 weeks (even first-time applications like mine - I checked!).

The DFA website states that the turnaround time for first-time applications from Great Britain is a minimum of 48 working days, which for me would be around the 3rd of April. However, the website also states that applications sent by Great Britain Passport Express, which mine was, should take about 13 working days. Which one is correct? - it's difficult to tell....

Fingers crossed that it might actually be somewhere in between.....

Let me know how it goes with your application?

I hope you have better luck!
Regards, zippy12
danmur wrote:
Tue Jan 15, 2019 9:36 pm

Hello Zippy12,

Sorry been away on holiday first time checking this in a few weeks.

Sent my passport application away on Saturday 9th February and it’s giving me an ETA issue date the second week in March.
Have you had any luck receiving yours yet?
Hi Zippy,

What is the status yours gives in the application tracker? I sent my passport application off using Passport Express in Liverpool on 6th feb and it was received on the 13th. I have a target issue date of 8th March but the status is still Processing Application. I don’t think the actual progress bar means anything other than the passage of time, so I’m paying more attention to the status itself.

James

PasadenaTom
United States of America

Post by PasadenaTom » Tue Feb 26, 2019 8:28 pm

Just a suggestion folks...

...But this discussion would be a lot easier to read if people weren't so liberal the quote button. The quote button is not a "Reply To" button. It is a way to add context to your post. But if what you say in your post does not relate to what you are quoting, leave that out. And even if it does relate, don't quote the whole thing unless you are responding to everything the other person said.

For example, if someone just wrote multiple paragraphs describing their application documentation struggles, and you notice they are from the same country as you, don't quote their post if all you want to do is ask them where they are located, as you just repeated everything they said for no reason.

This discussion thread has grown to 68 pages, and it takes a lot of time to navigate and find useful information. When I was waiting for my FBR, I liked to go back to older posts to see what others' timelines were, what DFA might have asked for additional documents, etc. I have no idea how many pages you have to go back to find the last 2-3 people who announced receipt of their FBR. But I am not inclined to look. It takes too much time.

I have my FBR. So this suggestion is for the benefit of those who don't.