ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Foreign Birth Registration?

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

Jaxx22
Finland

Re: Foreign Birth Registration?

Post by Jaxx22 » Wed Feb 27, 2019 2:12 pm

I posted my application off at the beginning of the month to the embassy, I have had no confirmation of receipt (I was also supposed to receive confirmation it had been collected from the local post office but didn't get that either!)

I don't know if I should contact the embassy and make sure they have it or just leave it for a while.

I had to send additional documents as I am applying from outside the UK which I still find odd because I just cannot understand the relevance so it is a little concerning that someone mentioned some other documents that have no relevance were asked for (that are not on the list on the embassy website or FBR)

I do agree with the comments of for the price of the application that there should be some way of tracking where it is in the system, especially with technology today and the fact that you can only do the application online.

From the recent posts it looks like it will take some time to process which isn't great, I know I should have applied earlier but I had to delay doing so because of moving abroad and then had to wait to get all the proofs of address.

To the person who asked about proof of residency expiring, I think if it was within the time scale of 6 months when you sent it then it is fine, it can't be helped if they don't get around to looking at it until after that time.

The other thing is that we will need to move most likely during the processing time of the application (I didn't want to delay it further by waiting because it could be months before we find the right property) so as my application was sent to the embassy - who would I inform of a change of address if this is indeed during the processing time? The embassy, FBR or both?

kmosfet
Newly Registered
Canada

Post by kmosfet » Wed Feb 27, 2019 4:34 pm

Jaxx22 wrote:
Wed Feb 27, 2019 2:12 pm
I posted my application off at the beginning of the month to the embassy, I have had no confirmation of receipt (I was also supposed to receive confirmation it had been collected from the local post office but didn't get that either!)

I don't know if I should contact the embassy and make sure they have it or just leave it for a while.

I had to send additional documents as I am applying from outside the UK which I still find odd because I just cannot understand the relevance so it is a little concerning that someone mentioned some other documents that have no relevance were asked for (that are not on the list on the embassy website or FBR)

I do agree with the comments of for the price of the application that there should be some way of tracking where it is in the system, especially with technology today and the fact that you can only do the application online.

From the recent posts it looks like it will take some time to process which isn't great, I know I should have applied earlier but I had to delay doing so because of moving abroad and then had to wait to get all the proofs of address.

To the person who asked about proof of residency expiring, I think if it was within the time scale of 6 months when you sent it then it is fine, it can't be helped if they don't get around to looking at it until after that time.

The other thing is that we will need to move most likely during the processing time of the application (I didn't want to delay it further by waiting because it could be months before we find the right property) so as my application was sent to the embassy - who would I inform of a change of address if this is indeed during the processing time? The embassy, FBR or both?
Hello,

I am in the process of moving as well. I may even move countries in the following months. I tried contacting the webchat but it requires an 11 digit passport number. The one I received is only 10 so it wasn't usable.

Let me know if you figure this out.

Thanks

spiderplants

Post by spiderplants » Wed Feb 27, 2019 4:48 pm

kmosfet wrote:
Wed Feb 27, 2019 4:34 pm

I tried contacting the webchat but it requires an 11 digit passport number. The one I received is only 10 so it wasn't usable.
I don't know if you're referring to a passport application or FBR but you can just contact them via the webchat link even without a number.

I did recently and was told the timeline for FBR is now 9 to 12 months but this is from date of original receipt in embassy, not when received in Dublin. And you should get an email if you're approved.

kmosfet
Newly Registered
Canada

Post by kmosfet » Wed Feb 27, 2019 4:58 pm

spiderplants wrote:
Wed Feb 27, 2019 4:48 pm
kmosfet wrote:
Wed Feb 27, 2019 4:34 pm

I tried contacting the webchat but it requires an 11 digit passport number. The one I received is only 10 so it wasn't usable.
I don't know if you're referring to a passport application or FBR but you can just contact them via the webchat link even without a number.

I did recently and was told the timeline for FBR is now 9 to 12 months but this is from date of original receipt in embassy, not when received in Dublin. And you should get an email if you're approved.
I tried this for FBR and it kept directing me to require a passport number. Even though I was clicking on the FBR webchat.

Could you provide me with the URL you used to connect to the webchat?

Thanks

spiderplants

Post by spiderplants » Wed Feb 27, 2019 5:02 pm

kmosfet wrote:
Wed Feb 27, 2019 4:58 pm

I tried this for FBR and it kept directing me to require a passport number. Even though I was clicking on the FBR webchat.

Thanks
It's the 'Have a question?' box on the right. But it's only open until 4. You go in a queue.

https://passporttracking.dfa.ie/

kmosfet
Newly Registered
Canada

Post by kmosfet » Wed Feb 27, 2019 5:10 pm

spiderplants wrote:
Wed Feb 27, 2019 5:02 pm
kmosfet wrote:
Wed Feb 27, 2019 4:58 pm

Thanks
It's the 'Have a question?' box on the right. But it's only open until 4. You go in a queue.

https://passporttracking.dfa.ie/
This is exactly where I went as well. Okay Its the time that messed me up. I am in EST and I should have been thinking Irish time haha :wink: :oops:

Thanks for helping.

zippy12
Newly Registered

Post by zippy12 » Thu Feb 28, 2019 4:32 pm

james_mcfc wrote:
Tue Feb 26, 2019 5:43 pm

Hi Zippy,

What is the status yours gives in the application tracker? I sent my passport application off using Passport Express in Liverpool on 6th feb and it was received on the 13th. I have a target issue date of 8th March but the status is still Processing Application. I don’t think the actual progress bar means anything other than the passage of time, so I’m paying more attention to the status itself.

James
Hi James,

I'm afraid the status is no more useful than the progress bar...

My application was received 25/1/19 - estimated issue date 15/2/19.

Since 15/2/19 to date, the status of my application has remained as "Processing Application", and the estimated issue date is unchanged.

I had a webchat with the DFA on 26/2/19. After checking my details, they said that there was a MINIMUM wait of 48 working days for 1st-time GB applicants, which correlates with the statement on waiting times on their website.

It would appear that their passport checking service just consists of a simple timer & progress bar which counts 3 weeks from the received date, which is the usual period taken to process uncomplicated applications and therefore is of no use to those of us who don't fit that profile.

48 days would mean that the earliest I mght receive my passport is the first week of April. :(

Zippy12

Jaxx22
Finland

Post by Jaxx22 » Fri Mar 01, 2019 8:22 am

That was my issue Kmosfet, I moved countries so thought it would be better to wait until I had already done so rather than move and then try to get everything sent to the correct country let alone address. Seems the delay in applying wasn't such a good plan with it now being even longer it seems to process anything. Same with moving again during the processing time, I really can't put that off for up to 12 months.

I still have had no acknowledgement of any kind - receipt of documents to the embassy, I don't know if they have them still or sent them straight to Ireland.

I think that is the worst thing about the application process is the lack of communication, especially as they keep hold of the documents throughout the process.

Court2

Post by Court2 » Fri Mar 01, 2019 1:40 pm

The political situation in the UK this week appears to have calmed with the prospect of 'no deal' reduced slightly in favour of an extended period of 'Article 50' and thus staying in the EU beyond the 29th March 2019.

Not that this will help any of us currently stuck in this queue despite as someone said earlier, if I join a queue as third in line then why should I be delayed by anyone joining the queue behind me, my place is still third.

Here's hoping the delay to Brexit will slow the application inbound rate and allow the DFA some time to catch up! This thread needs some good news. I myself am 10 days away from the 6 month mark, long ago gave up contacting the DFA as they have nothing constructive to add and can't provide accurate estimates. All seems to be guesswork which is a shame as I personally really enjoyed collecting all my certificates and this is now marred by the protracted delays and total void of information or communication from the DFA. :evil:

ben321
Newly Registered
Sweden

Post by ben321 » Fri Mar 01, 2019 2:17 pm

Hello,

Thought I would just write (i've been reading this thread for a while) that I am waiting since June for my FBR. So i'm over 8 months now. Contacted the office via web chat last week and they just said that I was in a queue and couldn't give any estimate. I just want the process to be over so I can stop obsessively checking the post every day.

mendelsfeeder
Newly Registered
Mood:
Ireland

Post by mendelsfeeder » Fri Mar 01, 2019 2:46 pm

Dear all,
I thought I should post my experience after following this thread for a while.
I just received my 'Congratulations you are now an Irish citizen' email.
My story is a little unusual and so may not be useful to many of you (and I'm sorry about jumping the queue), but I thought it may at least bring some hope, that the FBR office does seem to be fully operational and able to approve an FBR fairly quickly when needed.

I had an annoying timing issue with my FBR application, in that I needed to wait until Sept 2018 to apply (so that I had been using my new surname for a period of 2 years), but I also have a baby due this month (March 2019), so when I sent off my application I had pretty much 6 months to the day (assuming I didn't give birth early) to receive my citizenship in order for my unborn child to be eligible.

Timeline:
25 Sept 2018 - Application sent to London embassy (including note that I was pregnant)
2 Oct 2018 - Email from noreply@dfat.ie saying application received
7 Feb 2019 - Contacted FBR via webchat to enquire about progress. They had my application, but no note on my account that I was pregnant and had requested fast-tracking. The web agent gave me an email address to send my proof of pregnancy to. I sent my maternity exemption certificate that day. Was told that the agent would be back in touch soon.
28 Feb 2019 - went on webchat again to enquire about progress, agent said my application hadn't been checked yet but he would chase it up
At this point I feel like these enquiries don't really impact much and I'm pretty resigned to missing out on the opportunity for my child (due in 3 weeks) to become an Irish citizen (should they wish to in the future), then surprise this morning:
1 March 2019 - received the 'Congratulations you are now an Irish citizen' email.

So just over 5 months - but less than 1 month from sending them proof of my pregnancy.

Apparently the certificate (and return of documents) will take another 2-3 weeks. But I have been entered to the FBR before my child is born, so that's fine by me!

If anyone has genuine reasons for an urgent approval, I'd recommend using the webchat, asking to speak to an FBR agent and explaining the situation. They clearly have the ability to turn an application round in less than 24 hours where needed. And I know how frustrating the wait is, but I hope my experience is a good sign for all of you that things are becoming more streamlined and you will get your good news soon (as long as there aren't too many annoying people like me jumping the queue).

Good luck to you all. I'd go and celebrate with a Guinness now, if I was allowed to drink.......

Rbs3
Newly Registered

Post by Rbs3 » Fri Mar 01, 2019 4:52 pm

This is great news - congratulations! It’s good that they can take these things into account.
It’s also great news for everybody else as it shows that Balbriggan is up and running (finally!!).
I applied via London in late July, and have been at a final ‘management approval’ stage since at least Jan 7th (when I checked). I suspect that they have been committing resource to other things: Brexit preparations, passports, etc. I think I also read that they were training staff in February, so my guess is that they haven’t added anyone to the register these last few weeks... until now!
All the best with your remaining weeks of pregnancy.

PasadenaTom
United States of America

Post by PasadenaTom » Fri Mar 01, 2019 7:55 pm

mendelsfeeder wrote:
Fri Mar 01, 2019 2:46 pm
I just received my 'Congratulations you are now an Irish citizen' email.
Congratulations! And I join Rbs3 in wishing you and your baby the best as you await his or her arrival. Maybe your certificate will arrive on the same day. So that may be reason to have two bottles of Guiness at the ready.

ThePsychoToad
Newly Registered

Post by ThePsychoToad » Sat Mar 02, 2019 8:50 pm

I'm finally looking into getting on the FBR and had a quick question.

I have two grandparents who were born in Ireland. Their daughter (my mother) is a British citizen. She wasn't born in Ireland and I don't believe she was put on the FBR (she has now passed away).

What's thrown me is that when you go onto the application page on the DFA website it asks "Did Parent (through whom Irish citizenship is said to be derived) acquire Irish citizenship by virtue of… Birth to a Person Born in Ireland,Naturalisation, Post Nuptial Declaration, Foreign Births Registration or Adoption"

Am I eligible even though my mother was never an Irish citizen?

upliam
United States of America

Post by upliam » Sat Mar 02, 2019 9:40 pm

ThePsychoToad wrote:
Sat Mar 02, 2019 8:50 pm
the application page on the DFA website it asks "Did Parent (through whom Irish citizenship is said to be derived) acquire Irish citizenship by virtue of… Birth to a Person Born in Ireland,Naturalisation, Post Nuptial Declaration, Foreign Births Registration or Adoption"

Hi,
Your mother acquired her Irish Citizenship by "Birth to a Person Born in Ireland". She would have been considered an Irish Citizen and not required to apply through the FBR. You would be applying for a FBR through your Grandparents.
Hope this is helpful.
Good Luck on your FBR application!

ThePsychoToad
Newly Registered

Post by ThePsychoToad » Sat Mar 02, 2019 10:06 pm

upliam wrote:
Sat Mar 02, 2019 9:40 pm
ThePsychoToad wrote:
Sat Mar 02, 2019 8:50 pm
the application page on the DFA website it asks "Did Parent (through whom Irish citizenship is said to be derived) acquire Irish citizenship by virtue of… Birth to a Person Born in Ireland,Naturalisation, Post Nuptial Declaration, Foreign Births Registration or Adoption"

Hi,
Your mother acquired her Irish Citizenship by "Birth to a Person Born in Ireland". She would have been considered an Irish Citizen and not required to apply through the FBR. You would be applying for a FBR through your Grandparents.
Hope this is helpful.
Good Luck on your FBR application!
Ahh so my mother was automatically an Irish citizen regardless. Thanks!

Now I need to figure out if my grandparents ever renounced their Irish citizenship! My granddad was in the British Armed Forces for his entire career so its possible he did.

Rbs3
Newly Registered

Post by Rbs3 » Sun Mar 03, 2019 6:38 am

People only normally renounce citizenship in order to take up citizenship of another country which doesn’t allow dual citizenship. So in this case it is unlikely that citizenship was ever renounced as UK and Ireland both allow dual citizenship. I do not believe the armed forces would require it either.

If you have two grandparents that were Irish-born, you can use documents for either - you don’t have to do both. I would go with whichever one has the clearest and most consistent documentation, eg correct dates, spellings of surnames, etc. Each of the documents speak to one another across the three generations, so choose the grandparent whose documents achieve this the best.

Good luck!

mattskilondon
Newly Registered

Post by mattskilondon » Mon Mar 04, 2019 7:09 am

Now I need to figure out if my grandparents ever renounced their Irish citizenship! My granddad was in the British Armed Forces for his entire career so its possible he did.
My Irish grandfather was also in the British Army and did not renounce his Irish citizenship. I'm now a happy owner of an FBR certificate and an Irish passport. I'm sure you will be fine!

brawn401
Mood:
Ireland

Post by brawn401 » Mon Mar 04, 2019 11:04 am

A glimmer of hope maybe? I spoke to DFA last week and they said that there is now a note on my application saying it should be signed off by end of March.

That will be 8 months in total from sending application to (at least email) approval. Not counting my chickens yet though considering how long it has taken thus far

Aussie_MJ
Newly Registered
Australia

Post by Aussie_MJ » Mon Mar 04, 2019 11:21 am

Fingers crossed. Today makes six months since I submitted my application online. Still have not received any communication from Dublin to acknowledge that they have received my paperwork.

It's impacting on my job prospects as trying to move to Amsterdam so hoping its not too much longer :(

nic123
Newly Registered

Post by nic123 » Mon Mar 04, 2019 2:26 pm

Brawn 401

Well that's better news. My application sent in 25th June 2018 Been sent for approval November. Keep thinking must be soon!

accountname
Newly Registered

Post by accountname » Mon Mar 04, 2019 2:56 pm

Hi all,

Been following this for a little while now - started my application in October (through a grandfather from Laois).
The (slightly disjointed) timeline so far is:
28/10/18: Online application submitted & fee paid
24/11/18: Supporting documentation posted
26/11/18: Supporting documentation signed for
26/02/19: Receipt acknowledged by email

So fair enough, my bad - it took longer than I expected to get the last couple of documents in and I finally wound up mailing them almost a month after making the application. But it was three months after their receipt before I had any acknowledgement - if I hadn't used tracked post that would have been terrifying! Perhaps my timing was just unlucky with them opening the new office or something. Takes as long as it takes, I guess.

My question is: does anyone here have any inkling as to whether my queue position might be based on when I submitted the application? Or should I instead be expecting back-of-the-queue processing times starting from last week?

Kind of regretting not doing this years ago - probably first floated the idea around 2010 and admin inertia put it off until now, which is just about the worst possible moment thanks to the B-word rush! But of course, having done nothing about it for almost a decade, now that the process is under way I'm all excited and impatient! I'm due to visit in July, but it's probably best if I give up hope of that being with an Irish passport now...

upliam
United States of America

Post by upliam » Mon Mar 04, 2019 3:15 pm

accountname wrote:
Mon Mar 04, 2019 2:56 pm
Hi all,

My question is: does anyone here have any inkling as to whether my queue position might be based on when I submitted the application? Or should I instead be expecting back-of-the-queue processing times starting from last week?
Hello,
You might try contacting DFA through the WebChat and ask which date to base your processing time on. 3 months is a long delay to acknowledge your application. I was recently told by DFA the current processing time is 8 to 9 months minimum for all FBR applications in the system.
Good Luck to you!

Forestier1
Newly Registered

Post by Forestier1 » Mon Mar 04, 2019 7:14 pm

Completed my online application & paid my 278 euros yesterday.
Final screen was as below.
Posted my documents direct to Ballybriggan today.
Hopefully, the process will speed up now that UK applicants no longer have to send everything to the Irish Embassy in London.

“Foreign Birth Registration
The Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade processes applications for Foreign Birth Registration (citizenship by descent).
Foreign Birth Registration, by its nature, can be a detailed and complex process often involving official documentation related to three generations and issued by several jurisdictions. Along with an increase in the number of applications received, an increase of incomplete applications has also been seen. Approximately 50% of applications received are not complete. Applications requiring clarification or further documents take longer to process. In addition, these incomplete applications delay the processing of the complete applications.

Applications generally take 5-6 months to process from the time all the required documentation has been submitted to the Foreign Births Registration team. In 2018, 88% of applications for Foreign Birth Registration were processed within six months.

The Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade has responded to increased demand by creating a new, dedicated Foreign Birth Registration team, by reviewing and streamlining our processes, introducing improvements for efficiency and security. The new processes being introduced will create efficiencies to allow us to manage the increased volume of applications. These improvements will be rolled out in the coming weeks and months.

The Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade recently established a centralised Customer Service Hub to manage all queries related to foreign birth registration/ citizenship by descent, and passport applications. To improve our service to our customers, and to ensure that we are compliant with GDPR and Data Protection legislation, communication with our customers is now received via our LiveChat service and by phone instead of by email.

Our Embassy in London and Consulate General in Edinburgh no longer process Foreign Birth Registration, as these have been centralised to the Foreign Birth Registration team in Dublin. Queries regarding applications for Foreign Birth Registration should be directed to our Customer Service Hub, where they will be handled by telephone or LiveChat.

7 February 2019”

Aston13
Newly Registered
Norway

Post by Aston13 » Mon Mar 04, 2019 9:00 pm

Hey, everyone, first post for me on here, even though I have been trawling through these forums for a while.

I have been gathering everything for FBR for a while now, it involved tracking down my grandparent I have never met and dragging him to a notary to get his passport certified today :o .

I am finally on the last stage and can't wait to get my application sent. However, I am concerned about this part:
  • Three separate documents showing proof of residence e.g. utility bill, bank correspondence, government correspondence.
I have many letters from HMRC, pensions, SFE, employers etc. The concern is they are all 1-2+ years old. I have nothing newer than that and I can't find any further detail on dfe.ie. What date range for letters is typically accepted? Would newer letters be preferred or vice versa.

Cheers :D.