ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

EU National with South African Spouse

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

slovoman
Newly Registered
South Africa

EU National with South African Spouse

Post by slovoman » Thu Jul 19, 2018 11:12 am

Heya Folks

I'm looking for some advice after scouring this site and the internet for some information. Any help or advice would really be appreciated!

I am an EU national and my spouse holds a South African passport.
I intend for all of us to travel to Ireland together to settle permanently.
I work fully remotely for a company in the EU and can show proof funds for self-sufficiency.
I intend to exercise EU Treaty rights as either self-employed or as being self-sufficient.
I would like for us to travel together and to not spend any time apart.
We currently live in South Africa.

I understand that South Africans do not need to apply for a visa to enter Ireland for a short stay.

1. What documents do we need to show at the border at the airport so my wife is granted Permission to Stay and enter Ireland, given that we want to stay permanently ?
2. Do we need to book return flights or can we all book one way tickets ?

Thank you :)

max307
Mood:
Ireland

Re: EU National with South African Spouse

Post by max307 » Thu Jul 19, 2018 4:16 pm

I'm assuming you are not Irish citizen, if that's the case then follow the process in the following link once in the country.

http://inis.gov.ie/en/INIS/Pages/EU+Treaty+Rights

The only thing your wife needs to show at the point of entry is a valid passport, she’s not required to apply for a visa to Ireland. Since you are planning to travel together make sure you are carrying your marriage certificate (just in case...) and a certified translation to English if not in English. If the officer asks just explain your intention to apply under EU Treaty Rights for your wife to live with you in Ireland.

A one way ticket it’s fine but sometimes with airlines is cheaper to buy return even if you end up not using it.
I am not a lawyer or immigration counselor, all views expressed are my own, my comments do not constitute legal advice.

slovoman
Newly Registered
South Africa

Post by slovoman » Fri Jul 20, 2018 7:47 am

Great, sounds quite straight forward. Thank you for the info :D

jul1
Mood:
Ireland

Post by jul1 » Sat Jul 21, 2018 8:11 pm

slovoman wrote:
Fri Jul 20, 2018 7:47 am
Great, sounds quite straight forward. Thank you for the info :D
i would advise u to get a return ticket, cause in south africa they dont know anything about eu treaty rights, so at the airport they will expect ur wife to travel as a tourist who will return, its easier this way believe me, and hardly more expensive than a single ticket.

Usually the hardest to get is the visa to enter ireland, but in ur case that will be very simple, when ur here apply on the eu1 form.

WayneC81
Newly Registered
Ireland

Post by WayneC81 » Mon Jan 28, 2019 4:31 pm

Simple process as described above, I went through it with my wife in October.

Marriage certificate and passport were all that was required. I went with a return ticket just in case, was not much more expensive.

If you haven't visited Ireland before together, I suggest going to the airport a little earlier, as there is now a check through to Dublin that they need to do prior to your flight, to confirm you have been given clearance to travel. They take your Irish passport and your wife's SA passport for the better part of an hour, so you can't go through the gates to board etc.

Best of luck, was a very enjoyable experience actually.

Wayne

blastbass
Mood:
Germany

Post by blastbass » Thu Feb 28, 2019 1:41 pm

WayneC81 wrote:
Mon Jan 28, 2019 4:31 pm

Marriage certificate and passport were all that was required. I went with a return ticket just in case, was not much more expensive.

If you haven't visited Ireland before together, I suggest going to the airport a little earlier, as there is now a check through to Dublin that they need to do prior to your flight, to confirm you have been given clearance to travel. They take your Irish passport and your wife's SA passport for the better part of an hour, so you can't go through the gates to board etc.

Wayne
That sounds amazing. Do you have any legislation texts which confirms that?

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Thu Feb 28, 2019 1:56 pm

blastbass wrote:
Thu Feb 28, 2019 1:41 pm
WayneC81 wrote:
Mon Jan 28, 2019 4:31 pm

Wayne
That sounds amazing. Do you have any legislation texts which confirms that?
South African citizens do not need a pre-applied for visa to enter Ireland. They get one on arrival.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.