ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Visa / Travel permit for child from UK to China

Please post country topics not listed elsewhere.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

jane5
Newly Registered
Mood:

Visa / Travel permit for child from UK to China

Post by jane5 » Fri Mar 01, 2019 4:39 am

Hi,

I have a situation.

I am from china and married a british man. We have a 2 year old baby together born in the uk with british passport.

Our marrage hasn't been good and my husband wants a divorce.

I want to take our child to china for a month to visit her grandparents there however my husband says he will never allow her to go to china. Ive checked the situation and apparently china will not issue a visa to a child who is classed as a chinese citizen. (But she has a british passport i hear you ask!) Well yes. But according to the chinese goverment a child born to a chinese citizen (even if not in china) is chinese.

So the only way is to request a 'travel permit' for the child (different to a visa - looks like a passport)

However in order to get a travel permit both parents need to attend the visa office and I need written permission from my husband for it (which he wont give). She will need this travel document to go to and from china until she is 16.

So I feel stuck. If we divorce is my husband right in what he says? that I will never be allowed to take my child to china until she is 16 as:

a) the Chinese government wont give her a visa as they see her as Chinese and wont issue a visa to a Chinese citizen.

b) I cant get a travel document as my husband wont give his consent for it at the Chinese embassy.

Is this right?

Or is there any way such as after the divorce and I get main custody of the child would the Chinese embassy still require my husbands permission to give the travel document?

Is there any solutions to this?

Im thinking one way could be to renounce her Chinese citizenship so that the china government would see her as truly british and issue a visa. but this seems extreme and hard to do without the child been in china first.

Or perhaps I could renounce my Chinese citizenship (im eligible to apply for a british passport now but have been holding off as currently on a ILR (indefinite leave to remain) so don't have to do it yet but can if I want. This would mean my child would not be classed as Chinese as both parents would be british and she would be able to get a Chinese visa. But this will cause future problems for me in going back to china to look after my parents.

What do you think?

At curre