ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Child born outside UK apply Citizenship

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

alagesan
Newly Registered

Child born outside UK apply Citizenship

Post by alagesan » Fri Mar 01, 2019 1:08 pm

Hi,

Thanks all for your support, i'm in dilemma which Visa should apply, Can some one please help me?

My Son born in India Mar 2015 when i was in ILR Visa and he came with my wife to UK in Dependent Visa.

He is about to finish 2 years in UK May 2019 , and i have got my citizenship 8 months back.

now i'm confused whether i can apply Citizenship for my son or should i go Extending the Dependent Visa for another 3 years with my wife

some threads says i can go for Citizenship and some says i have to go for Extend, i'm bit confused.

Can someone please advise on this?

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: Child born outside UK apply Citizenship

Post by CR001 » Fri Mar 01, 2019 1:53 pm

now i'm confused whether i can apply Citizenship for my son
No.
or should i go Extending the Dependent Visa for another 3 years with my wife
Yes. He will qualify for ILR when your wife does.
some threads says i can go for Citizenship and some says i have to go for Extend, i'm bit confused.
A child born abroad can register as British once they hold ILR and EITHER parent is also applying for citizenship or is already British and the other parent holds ILR too.

The advice you received in December 2016 has not changed.

british-citizenship/child-citizenship-t ... l#p1434645
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Fri Mar 01, 2019 1:54 pm

Children born abroad are expected to follow the immigration path of the less-privileged parent until ILR and also to have ILR themselves before applying for registration as a British citizen. At least one parent should be a British citizen and the other parent should be on ILR.

If the child was born in the UK, s/he would have automatically been a British citizen.

EDIT: Overtaken by CR001.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

alagesan
Newly Registered

Post by alagesan » Tue Mar 05, 2019 11:06 am

Thanks for all Update.

Based on your suggestion i have to go extension.

Thanks