ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Experiences using new UKVCAS for naturalisation/citizenship applications

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: Experiences using new UKVCAS for naturalisation/citizenship applications

Post by CR001 » Fri Feb 22, 2019 2:55 pm

Daisy99 wrote:
Fri Feb 22, 2019 2:51 pm
Can you tell me,please?
I am going to apply for citizenship.Which one is the quickest way to learn the result?
Is it better to apply for passport and citizeship at the same time?
Thank you very much for the replies.
There is no longer a joint citizenship and passport application scheme. There is no way to speed up the process unfortunately. Some take a few weeks/couple of months, others take up to or more than 6 months.

You should also start your own topic with your questions about applying. This topic/thread is only for experiences using the new system, not for application questions.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

Daisy99
Newly Registered

Post by Daisy99 » Fri Feb 22, 2019 3:20 pm

Thank you very much.Sorry for the wrong topic.

bookerw100
Member of Standing

Post by bookerw100 » Fri Feb 22, 2019 4:34 pm

for first passport , if you apply using post office, I hear the application might be a bit quicker?

but I read somewhere that if you apply using post office you have to send your current foreign passport too. Is that right?

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Fri Feb 22, 2019 5:28 pm

bookerw100 wrote:
Fri Feb 22, 2019 4:34 pm
for first passport , if you apply using post office, I hear the application might be a bit quicker?

but I read somewhere that if you apply using post office you have to send your current foreign passport too. Is that right?
Whether you apply online or use the post office, you still have to send your passport and naturalisation certificate. There is no ukcvas type service for passport applications
Char (CR001 not Casa)
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

Nerazzuri

Post by Nerazzuri » Fri Feb 22, 2019 6:12 pm

bookerw100 wrote:

You could look at the passport timeline thread to get a sense of the timescales. 17 days seems enough (assuming you submit your application immediately after the ceremony, and have your referee prepared to log in to verify your passport photo). There is no guarantee though.

You could call our council and ask if they can arrange a private ceremony sooner (at your expense, typically £100 to £120).

jgreen6123
BANNED
Christmas Island

Post by jgreen6123 » Fri Feb 22, 2019 6:37 pm

bookerw100 wrote:
Fri Feb 22, 2019 2:32 pm
CR001 wrote:
Fri Feb 22, 2019 2:18 pm
bookerw100 wrote:
Fri Feb 22, 2019 2:16 pm
CR001 wrote:
Fri Feb 22, 2019 2:02 pm

Don't expect any response from HO. They don't care. Your ILR is completely superceded the day you become British.

No one has every reported on the forum getting a £1000 fine for not returning their BRP, but I guess there is always a first time. Note also that for your passport, you have to send your original Naturalisation certificate anyway, so you won't even have that if your passport is delayed.
hmm I see what you mean. I wonder what will happen if someone who has attended ceremony shows up at the border with their ILR. Technically they can't stop you from entering as you are already british but they might fine you I guess...
If you apply for your passport on the same day as your ceremony, you might well receive it in time. If you have booked a group ceremony, perhaps you could get a sooner date if you opt for the private ceremony which costs extra.
thanks for your input CR001.

man this is just a good forum not just the knowledge but just a place where you can come discuss, rant etc People who have all gone through these processes connect on a certain level ;)
I don’t see you being denied boarding abroad if you present your residence card which is otherwise in date. They won’t know that it’s not valid.

bookerw100
Member of Standing

Post by bookerw100 » Fri Feb 22, 2019 10:05 pm

CR001 wrote:
Fri Feb 22, 2019 5:28 pm
bookerw100 wrote:

Whether you apply online or use the post office, you still have to send your passport and naturalisation certificate. There is no ukcvas type service for passport applications
Aah okay. So do they return the previous passport when they deliver the British passport ?

bookerw100
Member of Standing

Post by bookerw100 » Fri Feb 22, 2019 10:05 pm

jgreen6123 wrote:
Fri Feb 22, 2019 6:37 pm
bookerw100 wrote:
Fri Feb 22, 2019 2:32 pm
CR001 wrote:
Fri Feb 22, 2019 2:18 pm
bookerw100 wrote:
Fri Feb 22, 2019 2:16 pm

hmm I see what you mean. I wonder what will happen if someone who has attended ceremony shows up at the border with their ILR. Technically they can't stop you from entering as you are already british but they might fine you I guess...
If you apply for your passport on the same day as your ceremony, you might well receive it in time. If you have booked a group ceremony, perhaps you could get a sooner date if you opt for the private ceremony which costs extra.
thanks for your input CR001.

man this is just a good forum not just the knowledge but just a place where you can come discuss, rant etc People who have all gone through these processes connect on a certain level ;)
I don’t see you being denied boarding abroad if you present your residence card which is otherwise in date. They won’t know that it’s not valid.
Yes , however one might get fined when they show up at the uk border

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Sat Feb 23, 2019 8:24 am

bookerw100 wrote:
Fri Feb 22, 2019 10:05 pm
CR001 wrote:
bookerw100 wrote:

Aah okay. So do they return the previous passport when they deliver the British passport ?
1. You really should have asked all these passport questions in your own topic and not in this experience of New system one!! You have taken it off topic now.

2. Yes you get your foreign passport back.
Char (CR001 not Casa)

jgreen6123
BANNED
Christmas Island

Post by jgreen6123 » Sat Feb 23, 2019 4:17 pm

bookerw100 wrote:
CR001 wrote:
bookerw100 wrote:

OMG, sometimes I'm not sure to cry or laugh when I read some of the questions. What do you think, what authority HM Passport Office has to withdraw your foreign passport?

ignition0
Newly Registered
Spain

Post by ignition0 » Sat Feb 23, 2019 8:40 pm

Good afternoon.

Do I need to send the documents somewhere after the UKVCAS?

I saw some people in the "timeline" of naturalisation stating when they sent the documents after the biometrics with the online form.

My "Further actions - current step" hasn't change yet, but I only did the UKVCAS biometrics on Thursday.

Really odd because they gave me a paper with "what next" about my VISA... well, this isn't a VISA.

But the guy didn't look like he had any idea at all. He didnt even check my documents besides asking "did you scan everything"? and make a scan of my passport (all pages).

Regards

hai123
Newly Registered
India

Post by hai123 » Sat Feb 23, 2019 9:42 pm

Hi

Quick advice needed.

I have filled in online application form (AN) and to support Proof of living in the UK I’m assuming passport needs to be scanned and submitted.

However could you please clarify whether I need to scan all stamped pages of passport (to show entry and exit) covering last 5 years?
Question 2. Two years ago, I have renewed my passport. Do I need to submit my old passport copy as well?

Please clarify.

johnhkg
Hong Kong

Post by johnhkg » Sun Feb 24, 2019 9:29 am

ignition0 wrote:
Sat Feb 23, 2019 8:40 pm
Good afternoon.

Do I need to send the documents somewhere after the UKVCAS?

Regards
No

johnhkg
Hong Kong

Post by johnhkg » Sun Feb 24, 2019 9:30 am

hai123 wrote:
Sat Feb 23, 2019 9:42 pm
Hi

Quick advice needed.

I have filled in online application form (AN) and to support Proof of living in the UK I’m assuming passport needs to be scanned and submitted.

However could you please clarify whether I need to scan all stamped pages of passport (to show entry and exit) covering last 5 years?
Question 2. Two years ago, I have renewed my passport. Do I need to submit my old passport copy as well?

Please clarify.
answered in the other thread where you asked the same question

bookerw100
Member of Standing

Post by bookerw100 » Sun Feb 24, 2019 10:35 am

jgreen6123 wrote:
Sat Feb 23, 2019 4:17 pm
bookerw100 wrote:
CR001 wrote:
bookerw100 wrote:

OMG, sometimes I'm not sure to cry or laugh when I read some of the questions. What do you think, what authority HM Passport Office has to withdraw your foreign passport?
That makes the two of us then - not sure to cry or laugh when people don’t read or understand the question properly. Of course HMPO won’t withdraw the foreign passport. The question is about delivery of the foreign passport whether it’s sent with the British passport or separately.
If you don’t have anything useful to post, I suggest you keep your unhelpful comments to yourself.

johnhkg
Hong Kong

Post by johnhkg » Sun Feb 24, 2019 12:13 pm

bookerw100 wrote:
Sun Feb 24, 2019 10:35 am
jgreen6123 wrote:
Sat Feb 23, 2019 4:17 pm
bookerw100 wrote:
CR001 wrote:

That makes the two of us then - not sure to cry or laugh when people don’t read or understand the question properly. Of course HMPO won’t withdraw the foreign passport. The question is about delivery of the foreign passport whether it’s sent with the British passport or separately.
If you don’t have anything useful to post, I suggest you keep your unhelpful comments to yourself.
Seconded.

soulseek
Newly Registered
Pakistan

Post by soulseek » Wed Feb 27, 2019 12:40 pm

CR001 wrote:
Fri Feb 15, 2019 2:51 pm
beedle123 wrote:
Fri Feb 15, 2019 2:45 pm
This is NOT a timeline topic. Please only post here with experience of the new system. Timelines must be posted in the November timeline only topic please.
i see a lot of msgs referring to this november timeline but as im new here wanted to ask what that is and where can i see posts on that topic?

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Wed Feb 27, 2019 12:41 pm

soulseek wrote:
Wed Feb 27, 2019 12:40 pm
CR001 wrote:
beedle123 wrote:
This is NOT a timeline topic. Please only post here with experience of the new system. Timelines must be posted in the November timeline only topic please.
i see a lot of msgs referring to this november timeline but as im new here wanted to ask what that is and where can i see posts on that topic?
Perhaps start reading from the beginning of this topic to understand the delay of all those who rushed to use a new system that caused delays :!: :!:
Char (CR001 not Casa)

soulseek
Newly Registered
Pakistan

Post by soulseek » Thu Feb 28, 2019 12:33 pm

CR001 wrote:
Wed Feb 27, 2019 12:41 pm
soulseek wrote:
CR001 wrote:
beedle123 wrote:
Perhaps start reading from the beginning of this topic to understand the delay of all those who rushed to use a new system that caused delays :!: :!:
perhaps a summary would have helped ... anyways, i understand you just moderate the website and dont like answering questions :?: :?: ... as for my timeline:

applied 21.01.19 online UKVCAS
biometrics in croydon 30.01.19
citizenship certificate and letter received 27.02.19 (date on letter 21.02.19)

happy times :) - as for those saying the new system is slower than the other ... NONSENSE ... my friend applied in december using the old system and it took his application 4 weeks and i applied in january using the new system and it took me 4 weeks ... all the best

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Thu Feb 28, 2019 1:44 pm

soulseek wrote:
Thu Feb 28, 2019 12:33 pm
CR001 wrote:
Wed Feb 27, 2019 12:41 pm
soulseek wrote:
CR001 wrote:

perhaps a summary would have helped ... anyways, i understand you just moderate the website and dont like answering questions :?: :?: ... as for my timeline:

applied 21.01.19 online UKVCAS
biometrics in croydon 30.01.19
citizenship certificate and letter received 27.02.19 (date on letter 21.02.19)

happy times :) - as for those saying the new system is slower than the other ... NONSENSE ... my friend applied in december using the old system and it took his application 4 weeks and i applied in january using the new system and it took me 4 weeks ... all the best
It is usually useful to state what application route you have applied for. If you received a certificate in the post, then it appears to be an MN1 application, possibly for a UK born child, which has a different processing time usually to adult Naturalisation applications, which this topic is mostly about.
Char (CR001 not Casa)

hai123
Newly Registered
India

Post by hai123 » Fri Mar 01, 2019 11:53 pm

Hi while going through the guideline, it says we have to submit relevant documents to prove English language requirements and der is a question in paper application form as well. However I couldn’t find this question in online application.

Pls let me know whether I have missed somewhere in online application or is this not required as part of new system?

johnhkg
Hong Kong

Post by johnhkg » Sat Mar 02, 2019 8:07 am

hai123 wrote:
Fri Mar 01, 2019 11:53 pm
Hi while going through the guideline, it says we have to submit relevant documents to prove English language requirements and der is a question in paper application form as well. However I couldn’t find this question in online application.

Pls let me know whether I have missed somewhere in online application or is this not required as part of new system?
It is a bit unclear, I agree. Near the beginning of the application you are asked if you have passed the Life in UK test. Then right at the very end of the online application process you get asked about English Language. The online form will ask several questions. E.g. Do you have a degree taught in English? Have you passed an approved English Language test?

Just answer the questions, then when you finish the online process will generate a personalised list of the documents you need to provide.

hai123
Newly Registered
India

Post by hai123 » Sat Mar 02, 2019 9:59 am

johnhkg wrote:
Sat Mar 02, 2019 8:07 am
hai123 wrote:
Fri Mar 01, 2019 11:53 pm

It is a bit unclear, I agree. Near the beginning of the application you are asked if you have passed the Life in UK test. Then right at the very end of the online application process you get asked about English Language. The online form will ask several questions. E.g. Do you have a degree taught in English? Have you passed an approved English Language test?

Just answer the questions, then when you finish the online process will generate a personalised list of the documents you need to provide.
Thanks for ur reply. I hve answered all the questions and checklist document has been generated. However I couldnt find question on English language requirement.

Anyone could u pls check ur online application / checklist and let me know whether this Q is der?

Davin
Pakistan

Post by Davin » Sat Mar 02, 2019 2:57 pm

UKVCAS Application experience:

I submitted my online application few days ago and attended UKVCAS appointment yesterday ( 01/03/2019). Appointment time was 15.30 but I was called for Biometrics at about 17.00. It was really busy. I went for free appointment.

Before appointment:

I uploaded scanned copies of my passports (current and expired and all pages)

Degree and transcript (scanned copy uploaded)

DVLA (scanned copy uploaded)

ILR BRP (scanned copy uploaded)

2 x Signed reference forms (scanned copy uploaded)

Life in UK certificate (scanned copy uploaded)

At UKVCAS centre they took my biometrics (FREE – No charges?)

I am director of limited company and work as a contractor but I didn’t upload any additional docs. Only provided company details and UTR number on application for. Scanned copies I uploaded were not attested at all, I guess it should be OK?

They scanned all pages of my current passports ( I think they always scan all pages of current passport even if you have already uploaded it. I told them I have already uploaded it but they said they need to do it anyway)

They did not even look at any other documents. I asked them if they need to see original documents which I uploaded and they said they don’t need to see anything (Strange)

They asked me if I wanted to upload any additional documents and then confirmed if I was happy for documents to be submitted.

They said standard time is up to 6 months but most applicant were getting response within 6 to 8 weeks.

hai123
Newly Registered
India

Post by hai123 » Sat Mar 02, 2019 8:06 pm

Davin wrote:
Sat Mar 02, 2019 2:57 pm
UKVCAS Application experience:

I submitted my online application few days ago and attended UKVCAS appointment yesterday ( 01/03/2019). Appointment time was 15.30 but I was called for Biometrics at about 17.00. It was really busy. I went for free appointment.

Before appointment:

I uploaded scanned copies of my passports (current and expired and all pages)

Degree and transcript (scanned copy uploaded)

DVLA (scanned copy uploaded)

ILR BRP (scanned copy uploaded)

2 x Signed reference forms (scanned copy uploaded)

Life in UK certificate (scanned copy uploaded)

At UKVCAS centre they took my biometrics (FREE – No charges?)

I am director of limited company and work as a contractor but I didn’t upload any additional docs. Only provided company details and UTR number on application for. Scanned copies I uploaded were not attested at all, I guess it should be OK?

They scanned all pages of my current passports ( I think they always scan all pages of current passport even if you have already uploaded it. I told them I have already uploaded it but they said they need to do it anyway)

They did not even look at any other documents. I asked them if they need to see original documents which I uploaded and they said they don’t need to see anything (Strange)

They asked me if I wanted to upload any additional documents and then confirmed if I was happy for documents to be submitted.

They said standard time is up to 6 months but most applicant were getting response within 6 to 8 weeks.
Hi, u said u have uploaded Degree transcripts. Could u pls confirm is der any question on this in online application. Reason being, I have filled in online application and generated checklist, However I couldnt find question on English language requirement.