ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

British Citizenship – Good Character Requirement FAQs

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: British Citizenship – Good Character Requirement FAQs

Post by CR001 » Tue Feb 12, 2019 10:03 am

Sonu21 wrote:
Tue Feb 12, 2019 12:49 am
Question on behalf of a friend for British citizenship
He have few convictions
1) on (02/01/2014)

Drink and drive (ban and fine)

2) on 10/03/2016

a) fraud by false Representation
b) driving without insurance
c) taxi touting

Driving ban, fine+100hour Community service

My question is what is best time to apply for citizenship? TIA
Please continue in the topic you already started on 10th Feb instead of tagging a duplicate post in this thread.

british-citizenship/british-citizenship ... l#p1740487
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

trueblue1981
Newly Registered

Post by trueblue1981 » Tue Feb 12, 2019 11:04 am

trueblue1981 wrote:
Mon Feb 04, 2019 4:33 pm
AnotherUUID wrote:
Wed Jan 30, 2019 2:01 pm
trueblue1981 wrote:
Wed Jan 30, 2019 11:16 am
Thank you for this clarity, it is much needed at times of doubt. I prepared a detailed letter and attached all the relevant documents and the decision of the county court and uploaded it to the UKVCAS portal for submitting documents.
No problem.

However, since you've already had your appointment at UKVCAS they may have already sent out your application and supporting documents to the HO. I would highly suggest that you get in touch with the UKVCAS centre that you attended and ask them specifically how to make application updates/changes. Their process wrt updates may be different and, due to the more human effort involved, it may take more time (something you want to reduce as much as possible) before HO actually receive the update. Despite the UKVCAS portal still being open, uploading additional documents to it may or may not guarantee that they will send these updates to HO.

Disclaimer: I personally did not use UKVCAS services for my application, so UKVCAS experienced members may provide a bit more input as to subsequent application updates. In my case (online + existing service) I sent both of my out-of-application updates via Royal Mail directly to HO/UKVI in Liverpool so I definitely knew that they had received them.
Thanks again. You are definitely right, so I sent an inquiry to the UKVCAS (new service) through their website and asked them specifically for confirmation that the additional document currently uploaded and showing under my name in their system is sent to HO as well. They still have not replied. Will update once they reply.
Update:
I received an email response to my inquiry from UKVCAS who informed me to get in touch with UKVI on 0300 123 2241 to check that the document is received by them. I called the number and they said that you don't need to send any document and HO will get in touch if they need any document from you. I asked them again to give me an address or an email address so that I can send my additional documents to them and after putting me on hold and checking again, the person once again said that only send documents if HO gets in touch with me.
Nevertheless, I am thinking of sending the additional documents through the post to the following address in AN Guide just to cover myself:
Department 1
UKVI
The Capital
New Hall Place
Liverpool
L3 9PP

Let me know what you think.

AnotherUUID

Post by AnotherUUID » Wed Feb 13, 2019 12:50 pm

@trueblue1981,

I think it's good that you're considering posting the update directly to UKVI, that's what I would personally do as well to avoid any further delays. However, make sure you explicitly mention in your covering letter that your application was done through UKVCAS and that they told you get in touch with UKVI directly, as per the email you received.

The reason for this is that I personally cannot confirm that the address UKVCAS offices use to send out applications to UKVI is the same as for other applications. The address in Liverpool is likely to be the same, but there are different departments that receive the applications. So they'll need to know where to forward it if it arrives at the incorrect department.

For example, paper applications are posted to Department 1, as observed by yourself. I personally had to post my supporting documents (online, non-UKVCAS) to Department 4, and I received my approval letter along with the supporting documents from Department 71 (mentioned in the return address).

On a side note, I find the UKVCAS reply you got rather disappointing given that they are the intermediary and it is their responsibility to be handling your application. If I were in your shoes, after posting the update to the application to UKVI I would also put more pressure on UKVCAS, or at least file a comment/complaint on your experience with the new service and how it can be improved. IMO it's completely inappropriate for them to be telling you essentially "you sort it out with UKVI we've done our part". If you have to deal directly with UKVI for certain aspects (e.g. updates to application) I feel it is UKVCAS' responsibility to at least tell you exactly how to do that and where to post any correspondence if necessary.

irelavv
Newly Registered
Bulgaria

Post by irelavv » Sat Mar 02, 2019 7:49 pm

Hello everyone.

I am applying for citizenship soon.

I satisfy all requirements except one: good character.

In 2014 I used to share a flat with flatmates who did not pay their bills. I always payed my share.

The two utility companies sent letters demanding payment and later debt agencies demanded payment.

I checked TrustOnline and I do not have a CCJ. I do not intend to set up token payments for someone else's unpaid bills.

I have proof from one company I paid my share but they still implied that all tenants are jointly responsible, meaning I can be held accountable for this debt.

I am uploading pictures from the companies, debt agency and proof of my payment.

What should I do, please help me?

I do not want to tell HO about this because they might not find out since it is not criminal offence and my credit record is clean. However, if I tell them would they interpret it as "where a person deliberately and recklessly builds up debts and there is no evidence of a serious intention to pay them off, the application will normally be refused" ?

johnhkg
Hong Kong

Post by johnhkg » Sun Mar 03, 2019 9:29 am

irelavv wrote:
Sat Mar 02, 2019 7:49 pm
Hello everyone.

I am applying for citizenship soon.

I satisfy all requirements except one: good character.

In 2014 I used to share a flat with flatmates who did not pay their bills. I always payed my share.

The two utility companies sent letters demanding payment and later debt agencies demanded payment.

I checked TrustOnline and I do not have a CCJ. I do not intend to set up token payments for someone else's unpaid bills.

I have proof from one company I paid my share but they still implied that all tenants are jointly responsible, meaning I can be held accountable for this debt.

I am uploading pictures from the companies, debt agency and proof of my payment.

What should I do, please help me?

I do not want to tell HO about this because they might not find out since it is not criminal offence and my credit record is clean. However, if I tell them would they interpret it as "where a person deliberately and recklessly builds up debts and there is no evidence of a serious intention to pay them off, the application will normally be refused" ?
Believe me, I know how you feel about such things. I agree with you that this is "probably" not a matter that would come to the attention of UKVI without you mentioning it. I faced a similar dilemma and decided that, after applying and suffering anxiety over my situation, decided to send a letter to UKVI explaining what happened. My view (now) is this. If this is a matter that UKVI would take into consideration when assessing your good character, it is better that you tell them rather than allowing them to find out by themselves and (maybe) assume you were trying to conceal the facts. On the other hand, if you tell UKVI about an event which they do not take into consideration, then they will ignore it.