ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

ILR for dependant of British Citizen

Only for queries regarding Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR). Please use the EU Settlement Scheme forum for queries about settled status under Appendix EU

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

swadhwani
India

ILR for dependant of British Citizen

Post by swadhwani » Sun Mar 03, 2019 7:45 pm

Hello All,

I came to UK in 2011 on Tier 2 General. My wife joined me in the UK as Tier 2 dependant in March, 2013. I got ILR and later British citizenship in 2016/2017 respectively. My wife, on the other hand continued extending her dependant visa. She has now completed 5 years in the UK, and is eligible for ILR.

My understanding is that she will be applying for ILR as Tier 2 dependant (as that's category of her current visa), and not as dependant of British Citizen. Please can someone confirm this.

Secondly, I noticed that new online ILR form is not asking for travel history. The question is only focusing on any country where you have lived. What does "living in another country" really mean. Please can someone help me understand this. thanks in advance.

CULLINAN
Respected Guru
Pakistan

Re: ILR for dependant of British Citizen

Post by CULLINAN » Sun Mar 03, 2019 7:58 pm

swadhwani wrote:
Sun Mar 03, 2019 7:45 pm
Hello All,

I came to UK in 2011 on Tier 2 General. My wife joined me in the UK as Tier 2 dependant in March, 2013. I got ILR and later British citizenship in 2016/2017 respectively. My wife, on the other hand continued extending her dependant visa. She has now completed 5 years in the UK, and is eligible for ILR.

My understanding is that she will be applying for ILR as Tier 2 dependant (as that's category of her current visa), and not as dependant of British Citizen. Please can someone confirm this.

Secondly, I noticed that new online ILR form is not asking for travel history. The question is only focusing on any country where you have lived. What does "living in another country" really mean. Please can someone help me understand this. thanks in advance.

It means if you have lived in any other country e.g for work, study etc not shorts tourist visits

Did you get your ILR on 5 year Tier 2 basis??
Personal opinion only, not to be mistaken for legal advice. Please DO NOT PM me for immigration advice. Love for All, Hatred for None.

swadhwani
India

Post by swadhwani » Sun Mar 03, 2019 8:02 pm

Yes

CULLINAN
Respected Guru
Pakistan

Post by CULLINAN » Sun Mar 03, 2019 8:02 pm

swadhwani wrote:
Sun Mar 03, 2019 8:02 pm
Yes
Thats great then. Above highlighed is correct.

For PBS dependents there is no limit or requirement for absences if the visa was granted before Jan 2018.
Last edited by CULLINAN on Sun Mar 03, 2019 8:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Personal opinion only, not to be mistaken for legal advice. Please DO NOT PM me for immigration advice. Love for All, Hatred for None.

swadhwani
India

Post by swadhwani » Sun Mar 03, 2019 8:03 pm

awesome, thanks.

CULLINAN
Respected Guru
Pakistan

Post by CULLINAN » Sun Mar 03, 2019 8:05 pm

swadhwani wrote:
Sun Mar 03, 2019 8:03 pm
awesome, thanks.
Since you have BC now, once she gets ILR as Tier 2 dependent first, then straight away she can apply for BC (she does not have to wait 12 months on ILR for BC because of spouse of a BC)

CULLINAN
Respected Guru
Pakistan

Post by CULLINAN » Sun Mar 03, 2019 8:11 pm

Btw if her initial visa was issued in March 2013 wasnt she eligible to apply since March 2018?? or was that a typo error and her initial visa was granted in March 2014?

swadhwani
India

Post by swadhwani » Sun Mar 03, 2019 8:35 pm

Yes, she was eligible but we got busy and had no need to apply earlier. Perhaps should have done. Do you know how much it cost now a days For ILR?

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Sun Mar 03, 2019 8:41 pm

swadhwani wrote:
Sun Mar 03, 2019 8:35 pm
Do you know how much it cost now a days For ILR?
£2,389 for ILR and then £1,330 for naturalisation.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

CULLINAN
Respected Guru
Pakistan

Post by CULLINAN » Sun Mar 03, 2019 8:52 pm

swadhwani wrote:
Sun Mar 03, 2019 8:35 pm
Yes, she was eligible but we got busy and had no need to apply earlier. Perhaps should have done. Do you know how much it cost now a days For ILR?
Hope so you know she needs to take the LIUK and meet the English Requirements for ILR.

swadhwani
India

Post by swadhwani » Sun Mar 03, 2019 8:53 pm

Yes, I am aware. She got both these certificates so we just need to apply now. thanks a ton