ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

English language requirement for Naturalization & Speeding Ticket

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

O_Relly

English language requirement for Naturalization & Speeding Ticket

Post by O_Relly » Sat Mar 09, 2019 12:13 pm

Dear IB Team,

My background:
  • I got my ILR in Tier 1 General category in January 2016.
  • I used my overseas Master's degree taught in English as evidence for English language requirement.
  • I used Point Based Calculator (defunt now, but used to exist and was accepted then) that listed my degree and university.
  • I don't have a UK NARIC certificate.
  • I got a speeding ticket in August 2018 and have paid a fine of £100 and have 3 points added to my UK driving license.
Naturalisation requires me to satisfy English language qualification about B1 or above and I cannot use the PBS calculator and neither do I have UK NARIC certificate.

Now I have two options:
  • Apply for UK NARIC. This requires a letter from my university as evidence that language of instruction as English. I don't have this and don't want to go down this route.
  • Sit a B1 English test in an approved test centre.
Questions:
1. I am OK with sitting this B1 English test. Am I correct in this understanding and there is no way to circumvent this step? For eg., My Knowledge Of Life & Language (KOLL) certificate which I passed before my ILR in January 2016 would not suffice?
2. I would require to declare the speeding ticket in my online naturalisation application. Correct?

Would greatly appreciate input on the above.

Best regards,
OR

PS: I did read the pinned FAQ -> british-citizenship/faqs-english-langua ... 98118.html

and used the forum's search facility and also google and still was unable to find a clear answer. Apologies if this has been answered before.
Cheers,
OR

johnhkg
Hong Kong

Re: English language requirement for Naturalization & Speeding Ticket

Post by johnhkg » Sat Mar 09, 2019 12:34 pm

I suggest you take the B1 English test, it's quick and easy (for you I think) and costs about the same as getting your degree certified

declare the speeding ticket

O_Relly

Post by O_Relly » Sat Mar 09, 2019 12:50 pm

johnhkg wrote:
Sat Mar 09, 2019 12:34 pm
I suggest you take the B1 English test, it's quick and easy (for you I think) and costs about the same as getting your degree certified

declare the speeding ticket
Thanks John. It should be quick and easy. I am really looking at saving 2 hours on a weekday, if that is an option. :-)
Cheers,
OR

O_Relly

Post by O_Relly » Sun Mar 10, 2019 8:38 am

Ok, notes on the IELTS SELT B1 test required for settlement or naturalisation:
  • The next B1 test is available is on the 23rd March and I have to travel to Machester, which is a 3.5 hrs journey from where I am at.
  • They will take 13 days to provide the test result.
  • They will only tell me 3 days in prior what time the test is to be scheduled, it doesn't help as I am unable to plan my commute in advance.
  • I'v booked it.
I am looking at sample tests and test material and it looks very minimal as to what is on the British Council site. Searching on Amazon for material, there are numerous books to pick from and I cant identify which is the latest 2019 edition if there is one.

Any pointers from folks who have taken it and what material they used and what it was like would be very useful.

PS: There goes my goal of getting the application in before Brexit :-)
PS1: If anyone can tell me (preferably with evidence) that I don't need this and my Life In UK certificate would suffice, that would make my life simpler in so many levels. But hey ho...
Cheers,
OR

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Sun Mar 10, 2019 8:53 am

LIUK test is NOT sufficient to meet the English requirement.

There is NOTHING to 'study' or read for the English test.

You also get a provisional pass notification on the day and can use that for your application with the SELT number etc.

Not sure where you are based, but did you look at availability at Trinity weblink for a test, perhaps sooner??

Not sure why you believe BREXIT will affect your citizenship application :?: :?:
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

O_Relly

Post by O_Relly » Sun Mar 10, 2019 9:22 am

[quote=CR001 post_id=1753284 time=1552208009 user_id=70994]

Thanks CR001 for the quick response. I am unable to find evidence in the AN guidance or anywhere in the UKVI site as far as I have searched which spells this out. Please, can you provide a link that backs up this statement?

Really? Are you speaking from personal experience?

The majority who sit this test are non-native English speakers and therefore require to take the test in the first instance and I would imagine they would require to study and prepare themselves to sit a test that involves Speaking, Listening, Reading and Writing skills, although B1 doesn't require Reading and Writing.

And why are there official IELTS books and material all over Amazon specifically for the IELTS B1?

All, I am looking for is to understand what to expect (preferably from someone with personal experience, or knowledge in the area), and to take some mock and sample tests, which perhaps a book can give me prior to sitting the test.

You also get a provisional pass notification on the day and can use that for your application with the SELT number etc.

Thanks, I didn't know this and it is not stated in any of the information / registration e-mails that I have received from the British Council thus far. I will check.

Not sure where you are based, but did you look at availability at Trinity weblink for a test, perhaps sooner??
That is not an option for me as I am up North and it is further out from where I am.

Not sure why you believe BREXIT will affect your citizenship application :?: :?:

Hang on a minute. I never said that and I don't believe it will. It was just a side note in a lighter vein to say that it was a goal that I had set for myself.
Cheers,
OR

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Sun Mar 10, 2019 9:30 am

CR001 wrote:
Sun Mar 10, 2019 8:53 am
Thanks CR001 for the quick response. I am unable to find evidence in the AN guidance or anywhere in the UKVI site as far as I have searched which spells this out. Please, can you provide a link that backs up this statement?
https://www.gov.uk/apply-citizenship-in ... -to-remain
You must also:

prove your knowledge of English, Welsh or Scottish Gaelic
have passed the life in the UK test

Really? Are you speaking from personal experience?
The majority who sit this test are non-native English speakers and therefore require to take the test in the first instance and I would imagine they would require to study and prepare themselves to sit a test that involves Speaking, Listening, Reading and Writing skills, although B1 doesn't require Reading and Writing.

As you appear to be fairly fluent in English, given the way you post in English, there is nothing that needs to be studied. It is literally just a 10/20 minute test.

Thanks, I didn't know this and it is not stated in any of the information / registration e-mails that I have received from the British Council thus far. I will check.

Presumably you have booked your test an an HO approved test provider listed on the HO list?
Char (CR001 not Casa)
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Sun Mar 10, 2019 9:36 am

Not sure what your current nationality is, usually useful to state if asking about English tests as some nationalities are exempt, but I am guessing as you needed to prove English for ILR, you are likely not from an exempt country.
Char (CR001 not Casa)

O_Relly

Post by O_Relly » Sun Mar 10, 2019 10:14 am

Thanks CR001. Not exempt and yes from HO approved test provider listed here:

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.u ... ebsite.pdf
Cheers,
OR

johnhkg
Hong Kong

Post by johnhkg » Sun Mar 10, 2019 11:32 am

I took my test with Trinity (my nearest centre was Hammersmith in London - a two-hour trip on the train/tube). The test took about five minutes, one to one with the examiner. Discuss for five minutes on one of your chosen subjects, then five minutes on one subject from a short list provided by Trinity. Look at their website. They provide videos of three successful candidates. Watching these will reassure you that the level required is actually quite basic.

https://www.trinitycollege.com/site/?id=3220

O_Relly

Post by O_Relly » Sun Mar 10, 2019 1:10 pm

Thanks John! Really appreciate this...!

I went through the link provided and had a re-look and re-read the FAQ carefully, and I realised I could take the Trinity College GCSE B1 test in Glasgow, for next Tuesday the 12th March. I have now booked that.

Have now requested for a refund of the IELTS Consortium SELT B1 booked in Manchester for 23rd March.

The key difference I realise now (for everyone else's benefit) is Trinity college is for UK only whereas IELTS Consortium (British Council) is for UK and Overseas. Clearly covered in the FAQ document.

I somehow seem to have missed that Trinity college London was an option in Glasgow. And this works for me.

Also, I looked at the example videos of what it is like and looks fairly basic.

Cheers!
Cheers,
OR

O_Relly

Post by O_Relly » Tue Mar 12, 2019 6:45 pm

Ok, update. Passed the test today with two A's. Was very basic and a little silly to be honest.

The registration lady agreed it was a bit pointless for some after all because they apparently also get South African nationals sitting the test many of whom's first language is English.

Apparently, South Africa is not an exempt country, because they have multiple languages.

On a side note, British Council, it turns out will only partially refund me it seems . 75% only and can take up to 4 weeks. :roll:

Anyway, glad this one is out of the way now.

Cheers.
Cheers,
OR