ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

SPOUSE VISA UK - financial requirements

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé/e | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

Bibi1234
Newly Registered
Canada

SPOUSE VISA UK - financial requirements

Post by Bibi1234 » Sat Mar 09, 2019 9:46 pm

Hello, I am a Canadian married to a British citizen. I am applying under the spouse visa. I am a bit confused and would like some help. I am having troubles with the financial requirements. My husband is a self employed in the UK. His gross income for 17/18 tax year was 25000 pounds, but after expenses and tax deductions his profit is 17757 pounds. What does the home office consider to be gross income? the profit or the gross since the gross income has to be 18600 pounds. Will this visa be refused under the financial requirements? Should we wait and apply after April 5 and give his SA302 for 18/19 tax year as it will be significantly higher than 17/18? please help!

Casa

Re: SPOUSE VISA UK - financial requirements

Post by Casa » Sat Mar 09, 2019 10:21 pm

The amount to meet the £18,600 p.a income level under self-employment is the nett figure after allowable business expenses have been deducted. In other words, the amount on which HMRC calculate for tax due.
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

wahi66
BANNED

Post by wahi66 » Sat Mar 09, 2019 11:30 pm

better to wait until 5 april and do the fresh self Assessment to make your income status more recent and updated but having said this there is no harm to apply on the last years self assessment 17/18 as long as you qualify financial requirement which in your case i think you do.

your husband income will be gross income before any tax has been deducted. So in other words take all the business expenses out and whatever rest is his income.

Bibi1234
Newly Registered
Canada

Post by Bibi1234 » Sun Mar 10, 2019 4:30 am

thank you for your reply. I have searched about this so much and I keep seeing that the profit from self employment is what they will look at and not the total gross, that is why I was confused and afraid that it might get refused. Will it help if we submit 18/19 invoices with the 17/18 tax return to show a higher and continuous income?

Bibi1234
Newly Registered
Canada

Post by Bibi1234 » Sun Mar 10, 2019 4:40 am

I also have a question about the accommodation. We met when I was on Tier5 visa in the UK. We moved in together in 2016, but with only my name on the contract. I am now back in Canada, and he continues to live there, but the renting agreement is still under my name. Is this going to be a problem when it comes time to submit the rental property agreement and accommodation report as his name is not in the contract but mine is?

seagul
Diamond Member
Mood:

Post by seagul » Sun Mar 10, 2019 4:54 am

Bibi1234 wrote:
Sun Mar 10, 2019 4:40 am
I also have a question about the accommodation. We met when I was on Tier5 visa in the UK. We moved in together in 2016, but with only my name on the contract. I am now back in Canada, and he continues to live there, but the renting agreement is still under my name. Is this going to be a problem when it comes time to submit the rental property agreement and accommodation report as his name is not in the contract but mine is?
More likely there will be no issue even if your name alone is on the tenancy agreement as long as it will still have some time to expire at the time of application. However you might need property inspection report if you are sharing your property with other non-related adults otherwise not.
The opinion expressed as above is neither a professional advice nor contesting/competing to other member's opinion/advice.

Casa

Post by Casa » Sun Mar 10, 2019 11:13 am

wahi66 wrote:
Sat Mar 09, 2019 11:30 pm

your husband income will be gross income before any tax has been deducted. So in other words take all the business expenses out and whatever rest is his income.
The above will confuse the OP as your advice is contradictory :!:

I have already explained that for self-employment, it is the nett amount after allowable business expenses have been deducted from the gross earnings.

A letter from the landlord agreeing to your husband living in the property will also be required.
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

Bibi1234
Newly Registered
Canada

Post by Bibi1234 » Sun Mar 10, 2019 5:59 pm

thank you for your reply.
So is it best to wait and submit the 18/19 tax return as income was much higher this year?

Casa

Post by Casa » Sun Mar 10, 2019 6:48 pm

Bibi1234 wrote:
Sun Mar 10, 2019 5:59 pm
thank you for your reply.
So is it best to wait and submit the 18/19 tax return as income was much higher this year?
In my honest opinion, yes.
(Casa, not CR001)

Bibi1234
Newly Registered
Canada

Post by Bibi1234 » Sun Mar 10, 2019 7:43 pm

thank you for your quick reply. I think I will wait :)

seagul
Diamond Member
Mood:

Post by seagul » Sun Mar 10, 2019 8:18 pm

And if by chance either or both of you jointly have the 6 months old savings of at least £62500 anywhere in world then you can straight away meet the financial requirement without self employment.
The opinion expressed as above is neither a professional advice nor contesting/competing to other member's opinion/advice.