ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

stay in India

Please post country topics not listed elsewhere.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

khayatipurav
Newly Registered
Mood:
India

stay in India

Post by khayatipurav » Mon Mar 11, 2019 12:34 pm

Hi,

I am a British passport holder and now living in India with my two kids. born in India, 2013 and 2016. I had their nationality done as British by descent from me first place. I was not aware that my kids have to have a visa to stay in India as their father is Indian passport holder and born in India too. They have not travelled out of India yet.I was not informed or any message was done for us when we were having B passport to have a Indian visa for born in India child.

with my last visit to UK in December,I queried to immigration officer and he said I should get their OCI card. fair enough.. I applied, now they(OCI)said that you have to have an Indian visa and pay a penalty of $500 each.. than I filled this application for both my kids and submitted it. finally ,I managed to get connected with a supporting officer and he advised some awhere the same.

He did advise that being minor kids they can go for Indian passport as well. upto the age of 16-18 and then they can choose as per their choice. Now I am more confused where can i go for this.
I was reading through your blogs and do realise that this may be more helpful for my query.

Please advise whether my kids can opt for this dual passport as they already have British passport. and if yes than where we apply .

regards,

Pooja

secret.simon

Re: stay in India

Post by secret.simon » Tue Mar 12, 2019 4:01 am

khayatipurav wrote:
Mon Mar 11, 2019 12:34 pm
e did advise that being minor kids they can go for Indian passport as well. upto the age of 16-18 and then they can choose as per their choice.
Not if they have already got a British passport. If they get a British passport, they automatically lose their Indian citizenship under Indian law.

As regards the other requirements, I will move the thread to the Other Countries forum for others with more knowledge of Indian legal requirements to comment on the OCI and other related matters.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.