ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Documentation for Foreign Birth Registration does not exist

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

BigVern
Newly Registered
Hong Kong

Documentation for Foreign Birth Registration does not exist

Post by BigVern » Tue Mar 12, 2019 1:12 pm

Hi I’m looking for a bit of help- I believe I have the right to Irish Citizenship through my Irish born grandfather. However the documentation requires my fathers death certificate which is simply non-existent. My father died very young in South Africa in 1983 and my then devastated mother did not keep his death certificate - there is no record of his death in Johannesburg where records were pretty sketchy at the time - I am not sure what the death certificate of my father proves with respect to Foreign Birth Registration but is there a way to get the FBR without it ? BigVern

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: Documentation for Foreign Birth Registration does not exist

Post by CR001 » Tue Mar 12, 2019 1:44 pm

there is no record of his death in Johannesburg where records were pretty sketchy at the time
Are you sure?? If you have his ID number, Home Affairs should be able to print it out while you wait. His death cert will likely state what his nationality is, my Irish G/grandfathers does.

I have death records of my Irish great grandfather who died in SA dated 1887 and my other UK born family who died in SA pre 1980.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

BigVern
Newly Registered
Hong Kong

Post by BigVern » Tue Mar 12, 2019 2:09 pm

I have made an application through the South African Embassy but simply nothing and no idea and no record of any id number. I was 16 at the time.

BigVern
Newly Registered
Hong Kong

Post by BigVern » Tue Mar 12, 2019 2:11 pm

... and my father was British born as Irish rights are from grandfather so still not sure why his death certificate is necessary

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Tue Mar 12, 2019 2:25 pm

When I get home later, I will dig out the name of the SA archive place I used in Cape Town (small fee to pay) but well worth it, and send you the details.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

BigVern
Newly Registered
Hong Kong

Post by BigVern » Tue Mar 12, 2019 2:51 pm

That would be very kind

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Tue Mar 12, 2019 3:13 pm

This is the website I used.

http://www.ancestor.co.za/

They had my great grandfather both paternal and maternal, grand father and other info about my mother that we didn't even know existed.

Everything was emailed to me with accessible links to the documents and they were very helpful.
Char (CR001 not Casa)

BigVern
Newly Registered
Hong Kong

Post by BigVern » Wed Mar 13, 2019 5:48 am

Thanks but there is nothing there- to put this in context, my father moved to South Africa in 1982 and we ( me, my mum and two siblings) and he died very suddenly about 3 months after we arrived. The family then immediately moved back to the UK ( within a week of his death) and so no administration was ever carried out- we have no records as everything was handled by consuls and funeral directors and my mother now 80 has no recollection of anything in relation to this period- certainly no documents. Even the funeral records are sketchy ( buried in Hendon cemetery in North London)

Suspect I am going to have to find a way to work without the death certificate