ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Foreign Birth Registration?

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

accountname
Newly Registered

Re: Foreign Birth Registration?

Post by accountname » Tue Mar 12, 2019 2:36 pm

Mori68 wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2019 2:25 pm
Does that mean six months from now, or November??
Ah, I'm not the only one then!

Michael123
Member of Standing
United States of America

Post by Michael123 » Tue Mar 12, 2019 4:58 pm

Mori68 wrote:
First time post

Submitted application to London embassy on November 4th. Delivery via Royal Mail confirmed 4th November.

Received this email from DFAT today:

“Your application and supporting documentation for your application for Foreign Birth Registration has now been received. Applications can take up to 6 months to process and we will be in touch with you should we require any additional documentation or clarifications.”

From now. Basiclly take todays date, add 6 months and then you can continue to wait... Im at 7 next week.

danmur
Newly Registered

Post by danmur » Tue Mar 12, 2019 7:01 pm

zippy12 wrote:
Mon Mar 11, 2019 2:36 pm
danmur wrote:
Tue Jan 15, 2019 9:36 pm
Hello zippy,

Checked today and it said printing and my issue date is this Monday 11th March! I’m not too sure how much longer this process should take - did you have any luck?

Hi danmur,
I'm delighted to say that my passport arrived this morning! When my passport had reached "dispatched" status on 6/3/19, I was given an ANPOST tracking number. However, this was never recognised by the ANPOST website tracking service. As it would have been handed to Royal Mail at some point, I even tried putting the tracking number into their system, but it wasn't recognised there either.

All was revealed when the postie delivered it this morning, and I saw that it had a sticker on the mailing bag which read "No signature required" So not a very secure service!
Hopefully yours won't be too far behind.
Best wishes,
zippy
[/quote

Dispatched today 👍🏻👍🏻 Hopefully get it before Friday!!

Malahide
Newly Registered
United States of America

irregular names

Post by Malahide » Tue Mar 12, 2019 7:11 pm

I'm applying for FBRs for my two children based on my mother being born in Ireland. I submitted the forms, etc., in October and got word that everything had been received.

Here's my question: how many of you had irregularities in how names were spelled? My mom was born in 1938 and her handwritten birth certificate has her last name starting with "Mac" and her middle name as "Brigi??". (The last letter is illegible - d or t?) Subsequent documentation (Irish passport/US marriage certificate) for her has "Mc" instead of "Mac" and a "d" on her middle name. I filled out forms as best I could according to the documentation.

Is this standard fare that won't throw the staff at DFA? Or should I expect to provide clarification? I don't know how I would do that...

Michael123
Member of Standing
United States of America

Re: irregular names

Post by Michael123 » Tue Mar 12, 2019 8:28 pm

Malahide wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2019 7:11 pm
I'm applying for FBRs for my two children based on my mother being born in Ireland. I submitted the forms, etc., in October and got word that everything had been received.

Here's my question: how many of you had irregularities in how names were spelled? My mom was born in 1938 and her handwritten birth certificate has her last name starting with "Mac" and her middle name as "Brigi??". (The last letter is illegible - d or t?) Subsequent documentation (Irish passport/US marriage certificate) for her has "Mc" instead of "Mac" and a "d" on her middle name. I filled out forms as best I could according to the documentation.

Is this standard fare that won't throw the staff at DFA? Or should I expect to provide clarification? I don't know how I would do that...
You can enter the correct middle name in the online application before sending it.

Michael123
Member of Standing
United States of America

Post by Michael123 » Tue Mar 12, 2019 8:29 pm

Has anyone received the new designed FBR certificate that was mentioned previously?

Mori68
Newly Registered
Ireland

Post by Mori68 » Tue Mar 12, 2019 9:27 pm

Michael123 wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2019 4:58 pm
Mori68 wrote:
First time post

Submitted application to London embassy on November 4th. Delivery via Royal Mail confirmed 4th November.

“Your application and supporting documentation for your application for Foreign Birth Registration has now been received. Applications can take up to 6 months to process and we will be in touch with you should we require any additional documentation or clarifications.”

From now. Basiclly take todays date, add 6 months and then you can continue to wait... Im at 7 next week.
So you reckon ten months plus, from my submission date? That’s a pain.

Michael123
Member of Standing
United States of America

Post by Michael123 » Tue Mar 12, 2019 10:20 pm

Mori68 wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2019 9:27 pm
[quote=Michael123 post_id=<a href="tel:1754363">1754363</a> time=<a href="tel:1552409915">1552409915</a> user_id=201133]
[quote=Mori68 post_id=<a href="tel:1754280">1754280</a> time=<a href="tel:1552400727">1552400727</a> user_id=214369]
First time post

[/quote]

So you reckon ten months plus, from my submission date? That’s a pain.
[/quote]

I applied in August, the time was about 4 months and DFA was quoting 6.. last inquiry, I was told Aug or Sept, thats 12-13 but I think they might be randomly picking numbers as all the times that others post are all inconsistent. I hope to have it by the time my youngest son gratuates from college, he is now 12 years old

james_mcfc
Newly Registered

Post by james_mcfc » Tue Mar 12, 2019 10:41 pm

So it seems my journey is at an end as today my Irish passport arrived!

For those wondering I thought it might be useful to give my full timeline from start to finish.

17/07/2018 Application submitted online (No. ***424)
25/07/2018 Documents received by London Embassy
16/11/2018 Response received to my email to the FBR team stating application had been put forward for approval
27/11/2018 Application approved and entered into FBR
22/01/2019 FBR certificate received with returned supporting documents.
06/02/2019 Passport application submitted using the Passport Express service in Liverpool
13/02/2019 Application received in Dublin and appeared on tracker as ‘processing’
07/03/2019 Passport printed
08/03/2019 Passport posted
12/03/2019 Passport received

So overall it was a little under 8 months for me from submitting the FBR application to having the passport in hand. It was definitely sped up by using Passport Express so if anyone can get to Liverpool or Glasgow to use it, it’s highly recommended and worth the £10 extra it costs.

So that’ll be all from me, good luck to everyone waiting!

upliam
United States of America

Post by upliam » Tue Mar 12, 2019 11:04 pm

james_mcfc wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2019 10:41 pm
So it seems my journey is at an end as today my Irish passport arrived!

Overall it was a little under 8 months for me from submitting the FBR application to having the passport in hand. It was definitely sped up by using Passport Express so if anyone can get to Liverpool or Glasgow to use it, it’s highly recommended and worth the £10 extra it costs.
CONGRATULATIONS James!! Good Luck to You!!

Sulla
Member of Standing
Portugal

Post by Sulla » Tue Mar 12, 2019 11:59 pm

Malahide

Small variations and inconsistencies between certificates will not have an adverse influence. The DFA look at the overall evidence supplied by all the documents as a body. If one document uses "Mac" and another "Mc" or even if there are differences in middle names, it will not matter. I should qualify this by saying that as long as there is general consistency throughout the document set, a few outliers won't disrupt matters. If there are a multitude of incongruous names and dates, then things are likely to be more troublesome.

I asked about this at the embassy when I submitted the application. I also had the Mc / Mac issue as well as a middle name which appeared for my father on his marriage /divorce certificates as well as his current ID, but not on his birth certificate. I was told it won't be an issue at all. It wasn't.

Zippy / James_mcfc

Warm congratulations on the receipt of your passports. It is good to see some people posting positive news around here for a change. We have not had much of that lately.

Michael123
Member of Standing
United States of America

Post by Michael123 » Wed Mar 13, 2019 4:01 am

My Grandmothers marriage certificate lists both her mother and father as John

DanaMarie
Ireland

Post by DanaMarie » Wed Mar 13, 2019 8:36 am

Michael123 wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2019 4:01 am
My Grandmothers marriage certificate lists both her mother and father as John
All of this is making me feel better! My father's birth certificate lists his (at the time)11 year old brother as his father. My father and my grandfather and my grandmother and great grandmother each had the same name as the other. I guess we'll see what happens when they finally get around to reviewing my docs!

Sulla
Member of Standing
Portugal

Post by Sulla » Wed Mar 13, 2019 9:04 am

If anyone has more numerous or serious conflicts of details within their documentation for FBR, then there are a couple of things that could be done prior to submission to potentially avoid delays.

1) Contact the issuing records office about correcting the information in an entry they have. It will be necessary to supply them with other certificates or evidence showing an error or omission. If the evidence is sufficient, a correction will be made and you can order the corrected certificate and use that for your FBR application.

2)Prepare a sworn affidavit (statutory declaration) describing and explaining inconsistent elements in the records you have supplied. To be valid, this should be signed in the presence of a commissioner of oaths / notary public and certified by them. Please note, the DFA do not accept such affidavits as an alternative to missing documents - I was told that very clearly by both the agent I hired and the embassy staff. They should only be used to explain issues within documents supplied or other matters pertinent to your application. This affidavit should be included with your paper FBR application when you submit.

tom_bcfc
Newly Registered

Post by tom_bcfc » Wed Mar 13, 2019 12:35 pm

It's no wonder theres lengthy delays if on the applications print on section E it clearly states medical doctors can witness an application yet 8 months down the line people are told they can no longer witness, and are told to resubmit evidence. You would think they would change the forms to avoid this. Save everyone a lot of time, and money.

tom_bcfc
Newly Registered

Post by tom_bcfc » Wed Mar 13, 2019 12:44 pm

Mori68 wrote:
First time post

I recieved that email yesterday but I only sent off my form to ballbriggan last week. So I'd imagine the London embassy has only just sent your application to Dublin this week and it's been in a cupboard gathering dust somewhere until the ballbriggan office opened. 6 to 12 months from now I'm expecting

brawn401
Mood:
Ireland

Post by brawn401 » Wed Mar 13, 2019 1:24 pm

So today is a good day.

Received email confirmation that I am now an Irish Citizen.

My timelines are as follows:
Application sent: 30 Jun 2018
Acknowledgement of receipt at London Embassy: 2nd July 2018
Sent for approval: 9th December 2018
Email confirmation of Irish citizenship: 13th March 2019

So that is 257 days in total, just over 8 months.

Let’s hope this means the backlog is also clearing for all of you who have applied so far. Good luck to all.

They advised in the email that the certificate delivery would take 2-3 weeks

🇨🇮!

Jaxx22
Finland

Post by Jaxx22 » Wed Mar 13, 2019 3:32 pm

tom_bcfc wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2019 12:35 pm
It's no wonder theres lengthy delays if on the applications print on section E it clearly states medical doctors can witness an application yet 8 months down the line people are told they can no longer witness, and are told to resubmit evidence. You would think they would change the forms to avoid this. Save everyone a lot of time, and money.
Agreed, there are far too many discrepancies for the application with the website saying one thing, the form another. I think too that they have made this part of it very difficult and limited, how many people know someone of those professions or even someone who knows someone in those professions. I realise this is to try and deter people from applying.

I went with the list that was on the embassy website as that was who I had to send my application through anyway which stated difference requirements anyway.

I have now received a notification from the post office that my documents were collected by the embassy, that took a month but a different company altogether but I assume that my application is just sitting on a desk at the embassy waiting to be sent as I have heard nothing else.

The timescale for me as I have said before as I need to move to a larger property and getting everything sent to the correct address, with what I am reading about how things are dealt with I do lack a bit of confidence in a new address being noted and everything being sent correctly but that said I don't want to delay things and let the perfect place go because of waiting for the application to be dealt with.

Congratulations to those who have received their passports. Hopefully those who have recently been added to the FBR will get their certificates soon.

zippy12
Newly Registered

Post by zippy12 » Wed Mar 13, 2019 3:34 pm

james_mcfc wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2019 10:41 pm
So that’ll be all from me, good luck to everyone waiting!
Congratulations and Happy St. Patrick's Day!
Zippy

zippy12
Newly Registered

Post by zippy12 » Wed Mar 13, 2019 3:37 pm

danmur wrote:
Tue Jan 15, 2019 9:36 pm

Dispatched today 👍🏻👍🏻 Hopefully get it before Friday!!
Congratulations! and Happy St. Patrick's Day!
Zippy signing out!

Court2

Post by Court2 » Wed Mar 13, 2019 5:00 pm

brawn401 wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2019 1:24 pm
So today is a good day.

Let’s hope this means the backlog is also clearing for all of you who have applied so far. Good luck to all.

🇨🇮!
Did you receive an email to state your application had been 'sent for approval'?

I received an email several days before you (early December 2018) saying my application was at an 'advanced stage'. Still waiting. :cry:

nic123
Newly Registered

Post by nic123 » Wed Mar 13, 2019 7:36 pm

[quote=brawn401 post_id=1754698 time=1552483492 user_id=202761]
So today is a good day.

CONGRATULATIONS!!!

Nice to hear the system is working now. Hopefully not too long for me (25th June 2018).

Sulla
Member of Standing
Portugal

Post by Sulla » Thu Mar 14, 2019 12:08 am

Tom_bcfc

Has there actually been a case that you are aware of in which someone submitted an FBR application witnessed by a medical doctor and it was subsequently refused due to this policy change? I don't recall reading of that on this board. I do remember some discussion of if it would be accepted as the old form and updated website said different things. However, I don't think there has been a refusal to acknowledge the validity of a witness from a profession stated on the old application form made prior to the policy change, but before physical submission.

Brawn

Congratulations of making it through this long process. I'm at 9 weeks after being added to the FBR now. I also know (from the embassy) that the certificate has been printed some time ago. Still waiting on receipt. I hope yours makes it to you more swiftly.

nic123
Newly Registered

Post by nic123 » Thu Mar 14, 2019 6:41 am

tom_bcfc

I hope not! nearly 9 months for me & my doctor witnessed mine. I was told in January that all my documents were in order. That would be unfair after all this time.

theonlyh
Newly Registered

Post by theonlyh » Thu Mar 14, 2019 11:49 am

Court2 wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2019 5:00 pm
brawn401 wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2019 1:24 pm
So today is a good day.

🇨🇮!
Did you receive an email to state your application had been 'sent for approval'?

I received an email several days before you (early December 2018) saying my application was at an 'advanced stage'. Still waiting. :cry:

Mine was sent for approval on 6th December 2018 and I haven't had the email yet boooooo