ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Applying first time for benefits

Questions and discussions about claiming benefits while living and working in the UK

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

naveediiqbal
Pakistan

Applying first time for benefits

Post by naveediiqbal » Thu Mar 14, 2019 1:25 pm

Hi, i have obtained ILR a while ago and have not yet applied for any benefits. I have 3 children all under 10. Two of them. Born here and registered as British citizen. I am. Wondering if some one kind enough can guie me what benefits i can apply and what is the process for those. Many thanks in advance for your help.

JB007
- thin ice -

Re: Applying first time for benefits

Post by JB007 » Fri Mar 15, 2019 8:54 am

naveediiqbal wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2019 1:25 pm
Hi, i have obtained ILR a while ago and have not yet applied for any benefits. I have 3 children all under 10. Two of them. Born here and registered as British citizen. I am. Wondering if some one kind enough can guie me what benefits i can apply and what is the process for those. Many thanks in advance for your help.
Use a calculator to see if you are allowed to have benefits if your income is low. Be aware that the calulation is based on both the parents being allowed to have UK benefits.
https://www.entitledto.co.uk/benefits-c ... effd1b3250

If your partner os not allowed UK benefits, visit the CAB and ask them to advise you.
https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/about ... ns-advice/

Universal Credt replaces the 6 low income benefits and has stricter rules and is nothing like the Tax Credits benefit used to be.
Here is more about what both parents will have to do to continue to get the Universal Credit benefit.
https://www.gov.uk/universal-credit/you ... sibilities
Last edited by JB007 on Fri Mar 15, 2019 8:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

naveediiqbal
Pakistan

Post by naveediiqbal » Fri Mar 15, 2019 8:57 am

Many thanks, will check these links. I heard many people get child benefits but couldnt found any good guidance on that. I hope the links you provided will help.

JB007
- thin ice -

Post by JB007 » Fri Mar 15, 2019 9:01 am

naveediiqbal wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2019 8:57 am
I heard many people get child benefits but couldnt found any good guidance on that.
CB has a salary cap. If you are over that cap, you can pay more into your pension to reduce your earnings. Look on the internet for articles on how to do that.

https://www.gov.uk/child-benefit

Claim only in your name if your partner is subject to immigration control.

JB007
- thin ice -

Post by JB007 » Fri Mar 15, 2019 9:09 am

If you are supporting your family (not claiming low income benefits) and your partner can claim UK benefits and isn't working/not working enough hours to pay National Insurance Contributions, - put the Child Benefit in their name as that benefit gives a credit towards a UK state pension.

naveediiqbal
Pakistan

Post by naveediiqbal » Fri Mar 15, 2019 9:14 am

Many mant thanks

JB007
- thin ice -

Post by JB007 » Fri Mar 15, 2019 9:45 am

And if your partner is staying at home to look after your children as you keep your family, look into getting a pension for her. You can't pay much into that if they don't work, but the government will still put into that too for her, so it's free money for her old age and she can build on that when she starts working again.

If you earn over 100k, look into putting more into your pension to reduce your annual earnings.

JB007
- thin ice -

Post by JB007 » Fri Mar 15, 2019 10:11 am

JB007 wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2019 9:45 am
If you earn over 100k, look into putting more into your pension to reduce your annual earnings.
I should have put, to reduce your taxable income.