ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

EEA national not allowed to fly to UK from Portugal

Use this section for any queries concerning the EU Settlement Scheme, for applicants holding pre-settled and settled status.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

KBconnection
Newly Registered
Mood:
Portugal

EEA national not allowed to fly to UK from Portugal

Post by KBconnection » Mon Mar 18, 2019 4:11 pm

Hello,

My family and I have lived in UK for over 5 years and hold a Portuguese nationality - we are original from Brazil. We went to Brazil briefly in January and on our way back upon our departure from Portugal (connection) to UK we were barred by immigration officers saying we have no right to enter the UK - which is shocking. They did not give me a written reason or anything I can prove. I have a 6 years old child who is currently missing school - we asked the school in Manchester permission to take him on holiday - which was granted. I have not funds to pay a solicitor. The officials simply did not let me embark. I am now in Portugal with my baby and my child, my child is missing school and I have no funds. They are clearly breaking the law by not allowing us, EEA nationals, to return to UK - Where we reside! Pay Council taxes etc. I wanted to know which authority I should contact ? Shall I send a letter to the Home Office or Tribunal? I have all my documents and proof I reside in the UK. Please let me know, any help would be highly appreciated!

sfljiaf

Re: EEA national not allowed to fly to UK from Portugal

Post by sfljiaf » Mon Mar 18, 2019 4:42 pm

Just to check, did you show them your Portuguese passports, or your Brazilian ones?

KBconnection
Newly Registered
Mood:
Portugal

Post by KBconnection » Mon Mar 18, 2019 7:10 pm

Hello, Portuguese - The passports have written on it that they were issued in Manchester UK. They acted in bad faith. I have a family in UK. I am with my two kids stranded and helpless. I have got letters from the school - Husband that is in UK received it - asking about my child attendance - He may likely have to repeat the entire academic year. Do you know how can I start a procedure as matter of urgency ? Which authority should I contact ? They made me lose my flight - bookings etc. On my portuguese passport clearly states: Nationality:Portuguese.

Punguru82

Post by Punguru82 » Mon Mar 18, 2019 7:42 pm

have you got a dual nationality? - That is scary . I guess every one should apply for pre or settled status before travelling abroad, or DCPR. Try see if you can apply one of these while you there.

sfljiaf

Post by sfljiaf » Mon Mar 18, 2019 8:01 pm

I don't think that place of issue of the passports would make any difference. But if the passports show you're Portuguese I don't understand why they wouldn't let you board. Did they tell you any reason at all? Who exactly was it that told you? Someone from the airline? Or immigration?

Bear in mind that I'm really also just guessing here. Perhaps some of the more experienced forum members can weigh in with more information.

NatCam
Georgia

Post by NatCam » Mon Mar 18, 2019 8:14 pm

Absolutely shockiing. You must have some idea as to why it happened.

KBconnection
Newly Registered
Mood:
Portugal

Post by KBconnection » Mon Mar 18, 2019 8:39 pm

Hello guys, They simply refused on the spot (The Immigration officers) - They did not let me board and my kids and I lost the flight - We tried speaking to the airline but they couldn't help us! Shall I send a complain to a tribunal or home office in the UK? My child needs to attend his school and I need to get on with my life. I have been in and out of UK before without any issues! There's absolutely nothing written from the officers. They were pretty hostile! I just need to know which authority to contact on this regard. Thank you so mucH!

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Mon Mar 18, 2019 8:45 pm

They did not let me board and my kids and I lost the flight
So you were denied boarding in Portugal by the Portuguese immigration??? So nothing to do with HO in the UK then.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

KBconnection
Newly Registered
Mood:
Portugal

Post by KBconnection » Mon Mar 18, 2019 8:51 pm

UK immigration officers in Portugal.

sfljiaf

Post by sfljiaf » Mon Mar 18, 2019 9:01 pm

Are you sure it was UK immigration officials? I don't think they would usually be in Portugal.

kamoe

Post by kamoe » Mon Mar 18, 2019 9:07 pm

KBconnection wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2019 8:39 pm
They simply refused on the spot (The Immigration officers) - They did not let me board and my kids and I lost the flight - We tried speaking to the airline but they couldn't help us!
You are going to need to describe the scene in detail. Where exactly in the airport did this happen, and in which airport?

I understand overseas UK immigration officers are only found in juxtaposed controls and I'm not sure this is the case anywhere in Portugal??? :?: Maybe this was not immigration officials but another authority?

As someone else expressed above, there might be other circumstances that might have prevented you from having the actual right to leave Portugal with your kids? (For example, where I'm from, you can't get your kids out of the country if you don't have the express written and notarized permission of both parents).
My posts express what I believe are the facts, based on the best of my knowledge, about the topics discussed in this forum. They do not constitute immigration advice.

Punguru82

Post by Punguru82 » Mon Mar 18, 2019 9:13 pm

KBconnection wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2019 8:39 pm
Hello guys, They simply refused on the spot (The Immigration officers) - They did not let me board and my kids and I lost the flight - We tried speaking to the airline but they couldn't help us! Shall I send a complain to a tribunal or home office in the UK? My child needs to attend his school and I need to get on with my life. I have been in and out of UK before without any issues! There's absolutely nothing written from the officers. They were pretty hostile! I just need to know which authority to contact on this regard. Thank you so mucH!
How did you obtain the Portuguese nationality or passport?!

NatCam
Georgia

Post by NatCam » Mon Mar 18, 2019 9:25 pm

So, you checked in, were boarding the plane and some officials stopped you? Can you tell us more?
How do you know it was British border control? (can't be, in my opinion).

Punguru82

Post by Punguru82 » Mon Mar 18, 2019 9:40 pm

It is a consent issue, nothing to do with Migration. All you have to do is to get your other half to go to notary office and give consent to travel with your child. Kids under 18 if travelling with single parent must obtain consent from other half notaries by solicitor with stamped consent from Notary. Then get him to post it to you and also attach the copy to your email. If it’s immigration issues just spill the beans on here on the details of confrontation at the airport with the officers and will get help

KBconnection
Newly Registered
Mood:
Portugal

Post by KBconnection » Mon Mar 18, 2019 10:17 pm

H, thanks for all the replies. I am on maternity leave and decided to travel with my both daughters while my husband is in the UK. He has fully given consent for travelling etc so I do not think this might be the issue. My 6 years old attends a primary school in Manchester which we also have asked for absence permission and was granted. I was away for a month and duo to return to the UK on the 10th March. On boarding the flight to the UK I was confronted by the UK home officer telling me I have no rights to return to the UK. I fully explained and (obviously) showed I am an EEA national who is exercising treaty right in the UK however the officers simply denied us from boarding the plane. I am utterly shocked, I am here stranded on Portugal no funds to pay for another ticket or a solicitor to solve this issue. This situation seems unreal but in all honesty this is reality! I just need to know the contact of authorities so my husband can get in touch as a matter of urgency. The solicitor we got wants to charge over £1500 for a simple letter! I am truly shocked.

Casa

Post by Casa » Tue Mar 19, 2019 12:30 am

In order to make a complaint, you first need to confirm who refused you boarding the flight. I agree with the previous comments; UK Border officials don't operate from airports in Portugal. :idea:
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

wahi66
BANNED

Post by wahi66 » Tue Mar 19, 2019 12:48 am

KBconnection wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2019 10:17 pm
H, thanks for all the replies. I am on maternity leave and decided to travel with my both daughters while my husband is in the UK. He has fully given consent for travelling etc so I do not think this might be the issue. My 6 years old attends a primary school in Manchester which we also have asked for absence permission and was granted. I was away for a month and duo to return to the UK on the 10th March. On boarding the flight to the UK I was confronted by the UK home officer telling me I have no rights to return to the UK. I fully explained and (obviously) showed I am an EEA national who is exercising treaty right in the UK however the officers simply denied us from boarding the plane. I am utterly shocked, I am here stranded on Portugal no funds to pay for another ticket or a solicitor to solve this issue. This situation seems unreal but in all honesty this is reality! I just need to know the contact of authorities so my husband can get in touch as a matter of urgency. The solicitor we got wants to charge over £1500 for a simple letter! I am truly shocked.
something is not right and missing because it does not make any sense. may be you are hiding some inportant information to share.
usually if any authority stops you from travelling from anywhere, they will give you written reason for letting you travel. you should have insisted for the written refusal to fly. anyhow, why don't you go back and ask your Portuguese airport authority to find out the reason for you after all they are there to help their nationals. try to get hold on to UK officials as well.

or if you want to get out the mess then go to Paris or any other country and then fly back in UK. its costly but might will safe time and stress.

NatCam
Georgia

Post by NatCam » Tue Mar 19, 2019 7:06 am

@KBconnection Which airline was it and when did it happen?

kamoe

Post by kamoe » Tue Mar 19, 2019 10:00 am

KBconnection wrote:
I am on maternity leave and decided to travel with my both daughters while my husband is in the UK. He has fully given consent for travelling etc so I do not think this might be the issue.
How has he given consent? Your story is still very vague, so we are only guessing here, but if this is a matter of authority to travel with minors, very likely him just saying "you can go" won't do. Again, this might or might not be the issue, but in some circumstances one parent alone isn't usually allowed to take kids out of the country. Not saying this is the case, but trying to help throw some light in all possible scenarios.
My 6 years old attends a primary school in Manchester which we also have asked for absence permission and was granted. I was away for a month and duo to return to the UK on the 10th March.
I would say this is next to irrelevant. Even if you were just going on holiday to the UK, with a Portuguese passport you would not normally be questioned or asked to provide evidence of your residence on boarding a flight.
On boarding the flight to the UK I was confronted by the UK home officer telling me I have no rights to return to the UK.
As some one else has said. This just does not make any sense.

Were you already at the gate?, i.g. you already had a boarding pass and you already passed security screening? And you say these people simply showed up there? it really does not sound like UK immigration force, but rather a local authority, like border police (you might have an idea why this is the case, or, there might have been a massive misunderstanding and they were awaiting someone else, e.g. someone with your same name and last name or physical description?).
I fully explained and (obviously) showed I am an EEA national who is exercising treaty right in the UK however the officers simply denied us from boarding the plane. I am utterly shocked, I am here stranded on Portugal no funds to pay for another ticket or a solicitor to solve this issue. This situation seems unreal but in all honesty this is reality! I just need to know the contact of authorities so my husband can get in touch as a matter of urgency. The solicitor we got wants to charge over £1500 for a simple letter! I am truly shocked.
If these mysterious officers were indeed at the gate, then the airline staff should be able to tell you who they were, why they were there, and why they prevented you from boarding the plane. I would start by contacting the airline explaining in detail what happened, where at the airport, and at exactly what time (flight date and number). You say they couldn't do anything to help, but they should be able to tell you why.
My posts express what I believe are the facts, based on the best of my knowledge, about the topics discussed in this forum. They do not constitute immigration advice.

mamalicious187
Gibraltar

Post by mamalicious187 » Tue Mar 19, 2019 10:23 am

KBconnection wrote:
This story seems so incredible

Punguru82

Post by Punguru82 » Tue Mar 19, 2019 1:26 pm

The Authority can only do that if there is evidence of concealed substances or narcotic substances or criminal offences, have you been detained? This will stop you enter the UK even if you have rights to and case can be handled in Portugal , if is nothing related to this tells us more. Why cant your husband come and get the kids ? in Portugal back to the UK. Have you got pre settled status or settled status already or DCPR?

NatCam
Georgia

Post by NatCam » Tue Mar 19, 2019 5:30 pm

@Punguru82 - there are dozens of flights from Faro and Lisbon to Manchester these days.There is no UK border control there, yet she insists that she was stopped by UK immigration (and according to her she had been "in and out" so many times, so she should know).
Jet2 is so very cheap - yet her husband cannot fly over and sort this mess out? Either she was flagged because for her own doings or somebody doesn't want her to go (come) back. I don't think she will appear on this cite again.
She is asked to give details and she repeats the same story. I would like to know at what point she was stopped from boarding; I would like to know why is it that the lawyer she mentioned knows (apparently) to whom to address a "complaint, but she doesn't. 1500£ for a "simple letter"?? Bs.

kamoe

Post by kamoe » Tue Mar 19, 2019 9:41 pm

Punguru82 wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2019 7:42 pm
I guess every one should apply for pre or settled status before travelling abroad, or DCPR. Try see if you can apply one of these while you there.
Paranoia. Brexit has not even happened, and even if and when it does, EU nationals will still be legally allowed in the UK for short visits, no need for Settled Status or Permanent Residence to get past an airport gate.

kamoe

Post by kamoe » Tue Mar 19, 2019 9:46 pm

NatCam wrote:
Tue Mar 19, 2019 5:30 pm
Jet2 is so very cheap - yet her husband cannot fly over and sort this mess out?
Why would the husband be in a better position to sort out the mess?

Casa

Post by Casa » Tue Mar 19, 2019 10:42 pm

There's little point in continuing this discussion, when the OP is no longer choosing to respond. :idea:
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.