ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Foreign Birth Registration?

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

Larran2019
Newly Registered

Re: Foreign Birth Registration?

Post by Larran2019 » Thu Mar 14, 2019 1:56 pm

tom_bcfc wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2019 12:44 pm
Mori68 wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2019 2:25 pm
First time post

Submitted application to London embassy on November 4th. Delivery via Royal Mail confirmed 4th November.

Received this email from DFAT today:

“Your application and supporting documentation for your application for Foreign Birth Registration has now been received. Applications can take up to 6 months to process and we will be in touch with you should we require any additional documentation or clarifications.”

Does that mean six months from now, or November??
I recieved that email yesterday but I only sent off my form to ballbriggan last week. So I'd imagine the London embassy has only just sent your application to Dublin this week and it's been in a cupboard gathering dust somewhere until the ballbriggan office opened. 6 to 12 months from now I'm expecting
I'm the same - I sent mine to London in December when they were still accepting them and then received an email from Dublin mid-February when it was presumably opened. I used the chat to chase them early February and was told any applications received from August-December hadn't been opened due to the move over to Dublin. Presumably the six months starts from the confirmation email as if they hadn't been opened they wouldn't have any idea they'd even received them... sigh :|

spiderplants

Post by spiderplants » Thu Mar 14, 2019 2:19 pm

spiderplants wrote:
Wed Feb 27, 2019 4:48 pm

From a weeks ago when I used the webchat and specifically asked about these things.

...was told the timeline for FBR is now 9 to 12 months but this is from date of original receipt in embassy not when received in Dublin. And you should get an email if you're approved.

Michael123
Member of Standing
United States of America

Post by Michael123 » Thu Mar 14, 2019 5:00 pm

I am one week shy of 7 months (Aug 21,2018) since my application was recieved in Dublin (Direct to Dublin from USA, No embassy envolvement) no Email yet. Another user has not recieved his FBR certificate after being added to the FBR over 2 months ago. So even after being added to the FBR, it will be another 2+ month wait to even begin the passport process.

brawn401
Mood:
Ireland

Post by brawn401 » Thu Mar 14, 2019 5:06 pm

Sulla

Thanks for the congratulations! One can only hope that now they have the new FBR templates sorted, yours will be printed and winging its way to you soon.

Nic123

Thanks! And hold in there. Fingers crossed it’s not too long for you now!

Court2

No I didn’t get any email informing me that the application was sent for approval in December. I called the DFA a month or so ago and asked them if there was any update, and they informed me on the phone that it had been sent for approval

Sulla
Member of Standing
Portugal

Post by Sulla » Thu Mar 14, 2019 11:38 pm

Michael

It could be 2+ months between being added to the register and actual delivery. However, that does not necessarily mean it will be. I am sure we can all acknowledge that there is a certain degree of randomness inherent in this process. Based on previous experiences (Sean / Spav) I had anticipated 2-4 weeks. Brawn was told within 3 weeks. You might just get lucky.

While our situation is undesirable and definitely a source of angst, I can only imagine the stress that people in the UK who actually need an EU passport for their career are going through.

Wims
Newly Registered

Post by Wims » Fri Mar 15, 2019 10:40 am

Hi there,

have been viewing this board for a while with interest while waiting for my boys' FBR applications to go through and thought I would pass on the update I received today

My timeline is as follows:
Application sent: 21 September 2018
Acknowledgement of receipt at London Embassy: 24th September 2018

Given our 6 months is nearly up I called up today for an update and was told that they are now processing applications from July 2018 meaning the September 2018 applications will likely be processed in another couple of months, no guarantee of that of course but might be a useful guide for others,

all the best

Jaxx22
Finland

Post by Jaxx22 » Fri Mar 15, 2019 11:47 am

Sulla wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2019 11:38 pm

While our situation is undesirable and definitely a source of angst, I can only imagine the stress that people in the UK who actually need an EU passport for their career are going through.
I am not in the UK but in an EU country so to stay an EU citizen for me is very relative and will keep things easy, obviously having to delay the application didn't help.

Wims

They are only just processing applications from July? I think if they have that much of a backlog then they need to hire even more staff, Those people if it should take the stated 6 months should have the certificates in their hands by now!

I think that they really need to look into how they process this because clearly something isn't working as it should.

Sulla
Member of Standing
Portugal

Post by Sulla » Fri Mar 15, 2019 12:15 pm

Jaxx22

My application was submitted on August 14th and it has been fully processed - up to and including printing the physical FBR certificate. It's just the postage part that I am dealing with now. Moreover, two U.S. applicants (Sean and Spav) applied in early August and received their FBR certificates in December 2018. They probably have their passports by now.

The DFA may be processing some or perhaps mainly applications from July, but they have not only been doing that. There are clearly some major questions about the sequence in which applications are processed. It does not seem to be solely based on the submission date. Geography may be a factor, but that's also problematic to pin down. If I was asked 6 months prior about this, I would definitely have declared that U.S. direct to Dublin applications were dealt with more rapidly. However, (as Michael and Upliam can attest) that is plainly no longer the case. The process is a black box. We have no real insight into their work mechanisms, which adds to the frustration.

The reference to July applications could refer to transfer of the backlog from the London embassy. It may be that the priority for the DFA now is to work through that . This would make sense as it is likely to be more economically influential in the event of a no deal Brexit - hopefully now off the table. If most staffing resources are being dedicated to plowing through that vast collection of applications, then it could account for the dramatic slowdown U.S. applicant processing times. Actually, when I say U.S. it might be broader than that and extend to everywhere that is not the U.K. I am not saying that this is positively the case, just that it is within the realm of possibility.

mayorob
Newly Registered

Post by mayorob » Fri Mar 15, 2019 2:05 pm

tom_bcfc wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2019 12:35 pm
It's no wonder theres lengthy delays if on the applications print on section E it clearly states medical doctors can witness an application yet 8 months down the line people are told they can no longer witness, and are told to resubmit evidence. You would think they would change the forms to avoid this. Save everyone a lot of time, and money.
This is clearly a proper miscommunication. I paid for my FBR application a month or so ago, and 'Medical Doctor' and 'Bank Manager' are still clearly listed on the form. Because these professions were then taken off of the website, I contacted the webchat, and they said if Doctor/Bank Manager is listed on my form, then I will definitely be okay. But your posts and seemingly others seems to contradict that.

I've only sent mine today so I'm expecting a long wait!

ross12222999
Newly Registered

Post by ross12222999 » Fri Mar 15, 2019 3:18 pm

Hi all,

I just found this board as I received my email today from London embassy that my application has been received... my timeline so far:
  • Sent application on 3 October 2018
  • Email received saying application received 10 March 2019
Is this some kind of record? Has anyone else waited 5 MONTHS for them to open the letter??

I'm going to cry.

DanaMarie
Ireland

Post by DanaMarie » Fri Mar 15, 2019 4:37 pm

ross12222999 wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2019 3:18 pm

Is this some kind of record? Has anyone else waited 5 MONTHS for them to open the letter??

I'm going to cry.
Yep unfortunately you are in good company. If you read back a few pages you'll see that's not uncommon right now especially having submitted through the London embassy. Apparently there have been a large number of applications in boxes as the DFA office moved locations and they seem to be slowly working through those boxes in the last couple of weeks. Kick back, put your feet up and join us all for a whiskey!

sean015
Newly Registered
United States of America

Post by sean015 » Fri Mar 15, 2019 5:04 pm

Sulla wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2019 12:15 pm
Jaxx22

My application was submitted on August 14th and it has been fully processed - up to and including printing the physical FBR certificate. It's just the postage part that I am dealing with now. Moreover, two U.S. applicants (Sean and Spav) applied in early August and received their FBR certificates in December 2018. They probably have their passports by now.
Sulla,

I actually physically received my FBR certificate in early January but I was entered in the FBR in mid December.
I am still waiting on the passport with an estimated date of March 20, but I am anticipating that it will take somewhat longer than that. I think someone who applied on January 25 just received theirs this week and mine was sent in on February 11, so perhaps I will have a similar wait.

I still can't believe how long it is taking some people like yourself and Michael123; it seems very unfair and random at the moment!

Laurie9434

Post by Laurie9434 » Sat Mar 16, 2019 2:32 am

It’s 7 months today since I received the email stating that my application and supporting documents had been received in Dublin.... THAT. IS. ALL.

Wims
Newly Registered

Post by Wims » Sat Mar 16, 2019 6:47 am

Sulla wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2019 12:15 pm
Jaxx22

The reference to July applications could refer to transfer of the backlog from the London embassy. It may be that the priority for the DFA now is to work through that . This would make sense as it is likely to be more economically influential in the event of a no deal Brexit - hopefully now off the table. If most staffing resources are being dedicated to plowing through that vast collection of applications, then it could account for the dramatic slowdown U.S. applicant processing times. Actually, when I say U.S. it might be broader than that and extend to everywhere that is not the U.K. I am not saying that this is positively the case, just that it is within the realm of possibility.
He very well may have just been referring to the applications from London, he also described the move from Dublin to Balbriggan as having an impact (did everything just stop for a period of time?) and since the move he said no longer has sight of where applications are just that he could see they were processing July applications now and expected that mine (being a September application) would take a couple of months move depending on the number of applications,

The wait wouldn’t be half as bad if they returned your supporting documents after they’ve verified them but nevermind,

It does all feel a little bit random but fingers crossed it’s just a matter of time

have a good weekend all

Sulla
Member of Standing
Portugal

Post by Sulla » Sat Mar 16, 2019 7:12 am

Sean

Thanks for the correction. I went through the process from application to FBR entry always 2-3 weeks behind you. That makes perfect sense as you applied earlier and I went through an embassy which adds an additional layer. I would have been delighted to have received my FBR certificate 2-3 weeks after you. Depressingly, I will shortly be entering week 10.

According the embassy (who are very efficient and responsive) the DFA restructuring is responsible for this delay. However, even they can't seem to get their heads around why it has taken so long for the postal phase. It has been printed for almost a month now and was supposed to be posted in the first week of March.

I will submit my Irish passport application the day I receive the FBR certificate - or the next day if it arrives in the afternoon. As anticipated, I have to go to the embassy in person to hand it over. 2.5 hours on the high speed train await me. The embassy is currently quoting 6 weeks processing time for passports.

Wims

I too want my supporting documents back. I need those more than I need the FBR certificate. I am anxious to get to Turkey and start the process there and I require some of them for that.

Mori68
Newly Registered
Ireland

Post by Mori68 » Sat Mar 16, 2019 11:44 am

Mori68 wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2019 2:25 pm
First time post

Submitted application to London embassy on November 4th. Delivery via Royal Mail confirmed 4th November.

Received this email from DFAT today:

“Your application and supporting documentation for your application for Foreign Birth Registration has now been received. Applications can take up to 6 months to process and we will be in touch with you should we require any additional documentation or clarifications.”

Does that mean six months from now, or November??
Update

Got this email yesterday:

“As previously advised, your application is queued for processing from 9/11/2018. However, because of the large volume of applications received, I’m afraid I cannot provide an indication of when your application will be processed. If further information or clarification is needed, a member of our team will contact you.”

So hopefully further on than I initially thought. Still not holding my breath, mind.

Sulla
Member of Standing
Portugal

Post by Sulla » Sat Mar 16, 2019 12:17 pm

Mori

"As previously advised...."

Nothing remotely passive-aggressive in that phrase. Perhaps all the requests for updates have this individual a mite vexed? How perplexing that applicants might contact him/her and actually expect some degree of customer service in relation to their rather expensive FBR process.

In my estimation, contacting the DFA is pretty fruitless. Every time Michael calls, they seem to tack on another month or two to his projected wait time. The London embassy appears to be cut from the same cloth.

Court2

Post by Court2 » Sat Mar 16, 2019 3:23 pm

Sulla,

Did you have any reply following your complaint?

6 month stage has passed for me, despite email of receipt in London in September and then another saying 'advanced stage' in December. Clearly, both emails were meaningless. I have had no response to my complaint as of yet but if I receive nothing by end of this month I will be asking for my documents to be returned immediately.

Cannot imagine other countries' citizenship processes are this fraught and incredibly poorly serviced.

Sulla
Member of Standing
Portugal

Post by Sulla » Sun Mar 17, 2019 12:07 am

Court2

On March 8th, I received the original request for more information on my complaint so that she could investigate. Since then, nothing further. If I don't hear anything in the coming week, then I will contact her again. If there has been no response by the end of March, then I will just proceed to the ombudsman phase. Then they cannot argue that they were not given a reasonable time to respond.

As for your application, I think it would be unwise to withdraw. We have not heard of the DFA losing documents on this board, so concern on that front may be unnecessary. I think everyone should stick it out and get what they paid for. If they receive slow or sloppy service along the way, complain about it, don't give up.

upliam
United States of America

Post by upliam » Sun Mar 17, 2019 9:56 pm

Wishing Everyone a HAPPY ST. PATRICK's DAY!!!
The Application process is longer than we expected, but with a Little Irish Luck we will all be Certified Irish Citizens by next St. Patrick's Day....and the Guinness will taste even better! :mrgreen:
Cheers!

Laurie9434

Post by Laurie9434 » Mon Mar 18, 2019 4:39 am

Happy St. Patrick’s Day to ye all. A glorious day to be an Irishman for sure!! May the luck of the Irish be with ye all! And a little prayer to Saint Patrick..”dude, can ye help the people at the FBR office just a tad it’s gone past 7 months, thank you kindly!”

Michael123
Member of Standing
United States of America

Post by Michael123 » Mon Mar 18, 2019 5:11 pm

^^^^^^^^ AMEN!!! ^^^^^^^^^^

Laurie, I am anxiously awaiting your email as well, I am about a week behind you (Aug 21) and Liam is a day behind me (Aug 22).

In addition, may St Anthony find Sulla’s certificate!! Seems like we need all the saints to help us with this!! 😝

Laurie9434

Post by Laurie9434 » Mon Mar 18, 2019 8:49 pm

Michael123 wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2019 5:11 pm

Laurie, I am anxiously awaiting your email as well, I am about a week behind you (Aug 21) and Liam is a day behind me (Aug 22).

In addition, may St Anthony find Sulla’s certificate!! Seems like we need all the saints to help us with this!! 😝
Hi Michael!
I will pass on any info I receive. Maybe, I’ll get some from the agency I used. And yes! “St Anthony, St Anthony please come around, Sulla’s certificate is lost and needs to be found”. St. Anthony has found a couple dozen things for my family... including a contact lens in a field of grass, so fingers crossed!!

Michael123
Member of Standing
United States of America

Post by Michael123 » Mon Mar 18, 2019 9:03 pm

Laurie9434 wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2019 8:49 pm
Michael123 wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2019 5:11 pm

Hi Michael!
I will pass on any info I receive. Maybe, I’ll get some from the agency I used. And yes! “St Anthony, St Anthony please come around, Sulla’s certificate is lost and needs to be found”. St. Anthony has found a couple dozen things for my family... including a contact lens in a field of grass, so fingers crossed!!
Where are you located? I am in Boston,MA USA

Sulla
Member of Standing
Portugal

Post by Sulla » Mon Mar 18, 2019 11:43 pm

Thank you for the invocation of Saint Anthony. At this juncture, any assistance is appreciated.

I will be quite honest, I had absolutely no clue who this Saint was and had to Google it. Suffice it to say that I am not exactly steeped in the traditions of Catholicism.

I still await delivery of the FBR certificate.