ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

NTL - transfer of ILR stamp to new passport

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

bhavna

NTL - transfer of ILR stamp to new passport

Post by bhavna » Wed Feb 09, 2005 11:02 am

Dear Board members,

Has somebody recently been to home office for this - transfer of ILR stamp into new passport or applied by post. Could you please share the experience as to what documents you were asked to produce?

Thanks

John

Post by John » Wed Feb 09, 2005 11:09 am

Hi, isn't that totally clear from the application form?

If you don't yet have the form go to :-

Application Forms

-: and then download a form NTL.
John

bhavna

Post by bhavna » Wed Feb 09, 2005 11:26 am

hi john,

As per the form old/new passport and letter from home office should be sufficient. But section 4 is a bit confusing as to documents required to prove that you have been continously residing in UK to prove that ILR status has been maintained. I think this is actually quite evident from the passport itself. Why they have referred to some extra documentation to prove that (for example employer letter, council tax bills etc)?

My question is that in practice do they actually want to see these extra documents?

Regards

John

Post by John » Wed Feb 09, 2005 11:36 am

Hi, the form is an 11 page PDF. Go to page 9 of 11. Look at Section 4 there, in particular the third bullet point.

Isn't that clear?
John

tt

Post by tt » Sat Mar 19, 2005 2:01 pm

I can see how the point that John thinks is perfectly clear may not in fact be so. But on my reading, to have an ILE/ILR sticker placed in the new passport, you would need only to fill out the NTL Form with GBP250 and present just the previous passport with the "indefinite leave to enter" stamp or original ILE/ILR sticker, to prove the ILE/ILR status.
"Ideally" for the HO, you would need to show all passports leading from and including the original passport with the ILE/ILR sticker, but that doesn't seem to be in practice necessary?
Only if the previous passport shows that you have not been in the UK in the last two years would you need to show further evidence of residency (pay slips etc). So you don't need to show anything more than passports and Form NTL and money unless you have the 2 year + absence.

???

John

Post by John » Sat Mar 19, 2005 8:13 pm

tt, I think the point is this. It may not be clear from the old, now expired, passport whether you have been in the UK in the last two years. Where that is the case then they ask for the further evidence.

For example, on entry into the UK the passport was not stamped by the immigration officer. In other words, there is no proof in the passport as to when the person actually entered the UK. So further evidence might be required.

Is this possible? A (non-EEA) passport not stamped on entry to the UK? Well it happened to my wife. We took a trip to the continent and on getting to France the Schengen visa was not stamped ... and neither was the UK visa on getting back to Dover. In case this caused a problem I got an email from the shipping line confirming the sailings for which she had booked in. In fact the lack of stamps in the passport caused no problem on the subsequent naturalisation application.
John

tt

Post by tt » Sun Mar 20, 2005 11:24 am

Is it so that the fee for the Form NTL renewal will be increased from GBP250 to GBP500 on 1 April, 2005?

Which is a reliable immig company that would take the Form NTL, GBP250/500 and previous passport/s (since this seems all you need to submit - see above) for you as agent to HO and do the whole thing for you? How much notice would you/it need to give HO/ company, or is this the kind of thing (absolutely straightforward) that the company could do in a day without notice? How much would the company expect?

Many thanks..

John

Post by John » Sun Mar 20, 2005 3:40 pm

tt, as regards transfer of visa from old passport to new passport, the current fee for postal applications is £155 and that is going up to £160 as from 1st April 2005. For "in person" applications at a PEO the current £250 fee to going up to £500.

I am not at all sure you can use an agent for an "in person" application. But all this begs the question, why not just apply by post? Of course use Special Delivery, cost about £4, to post the application, and also you could enclose a prepaid self-addressed Special Delivery envelope for the return of passports etc.. About £8 is of course a lot less than the difference between £155 and £250 ... or between £160 and £500!

If there any reason why applying by post would be a problem to you?
John

tt

Post by tt » Sun Mar 20, 2005 4:22 pm

Can't you use an agent to deal with HO in-person (which I thought would include someone dealing with HO in person (whether it's you or not) as distinct from by post)? I thought it was possible for things that would not need discretion, eg the transfer of ILE/ILR sticker to new passport via Form NTL.
If I'm to catch the 1 April "deadline", and I need to be out of the country before than, then in-person is necessary. But I can't spend a day there..So hence the need. or desire to use an agent.
(BTW, How long would the transfer take by Special Delivery Post from time of posting to time of receiving passport back. I'm going to be hopping in and out of the UK a bit for a while and wouldn't want to be forced to wait weeks inside the UK during this period.)