ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Residence Card without previous EEA Family Permit

Use this section for any queries concerning the EU Settlement Scheme, for applicants holding pre-settled and settled status.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

Mxandconfused
Newly Registered
Mood:
Mexico

Residence Card without previous EEA Family Permit

Post by Mxandconfused » Tue Mar 19, 2019 9:00 pm

Hi,
I'm Mexican and my partner is Polish, we will get married in Poland in two months time, I've visited many times in the UK without any issues, but after the wedding we would like for me to stay for the rest of the year while he finishes his studies (PhD). I would like an opinion on what is better to do, if I should apply for an EEAFM after the wedding in Poland or if I should after the wedding go to the UK and enter a a tourist as I've never had any problems and then apply for a Residence card? I've read somewhere that applying for a residence card shouldn't represent an issue as by then I would be a wife of a EEA national. I just wanna do the right thing so I will have peace of mind during the time I'd like to be in the UK with him. Thank you so much! :lol:

kamoe

Re: Residence Card without previous EEA Family Permit

Post by kamoe » Tue Mar 19, 2019 9:56 pm

Mxandconfused wrote:
Tue Mar 19, 2019 9:00 pm
I would like an opinion on what is better to do, if I should apply for an EEAFM after the wedding in Poland or if I should after the wedding go to the UK and enter a a tourist as I've never had any problems and then apply for a Residence card? I've read somewhere that applying for a residence card shouldn't represent an issue as by then I would be a wife of a EEA national.
In this forum we know only too well the case of people who assumed they will have no problem whatsoever by relying on their automatic rights as the spouse of EU nationals, preferring a stamp on arrival to a Family Permit, only to find themselves stuck abroad or unable to rent.

While it's true that you might be able to get in and stay legally in the UK, you might find difficulty finding employment or renting accommodation with only your marriage certificate, while you await your Residence Card or Pre-Settled status card. It is too soon to know the processing times of any of these two after Brexit, so a safe option is to arrive with a Family Permit.
My posts express what I believe are the facts, based on the best of my knowledge, about the topics discussed in this forum. They do not constitute immigration advice.