ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Family permit for a visit to the UK.

Use this section for any queries concerning the EU Settlement Scheme, for applicants holding pre-settled and settled status.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

Daisies
Ireland

Family permit for a visit to the UK.

Post by Daisies » Mon Mar 18, 2019 9:50 pm

Background: I'm Irish, my husband is Malawian. We initially applied for an EU FP to live together in the UK and it was approved. We lived there for 5 months but in the interim I got my dream job in Ireland so we applied for his spouse Visa for Ireland and he now has a residence permit for Ireland for 3 years.

My query is, if we want to visit friends in the UK for a weekend or so, from doing the "what visa you need" quiz on the UK Gov website it seems to direct me to a FP. I thought this permit was for people intending to live in the UK? It seems to say he can apply for it and if it is granted he can use it multiple times over the 6 months. Would there be any issue with applying for multiple FP?
If not, do we just apply for a standard visitors visa? Do the fees apply for a spouse of an EU national?

kamoe

Re: Family permit for a visit to the UK.

Post by kamoe » Tue Mar 19, 2019 12:20 pm

Daisies wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2019 9:50 pm
My query is, if we want to visit friends in the UK for a weekend or so, from doing the "what visa you need" quiz on the UK Gov website it seems to direct me to a FP.
What did you answer to each question? Using answers based on your case, I got a different answer.

Provided you have an Article 10 residence Card, which is what I think you have as Irish residence Permit, then you won't need a visa: https://www.gov.uk/check-uk-visa/y/mala ... sm/yes/yes
My posts express what I believe are the facts, based on the best of my knowledge, about the topics discussed in this forum. They do not constitute immigration advice.

Daisies
Ireland

Post by Daisies » Tue Mar 19, 2019 1:53 pm

I didn't know what an article 10 residence card was answered no to that question.
It seems the article 10 residency card is for those exercising treat rights in another country so it would not apply to my partners IRP as I am Irish and we are in Ireland.

kamoe

Post by kamoe » Tue Mar 19, 2019 2:03 pm

Daisies wrote:
Tue Mar 19, 2019 1:53 pm
I didn't know what an article 10 residence card was answered no to that question.
It seems the article 10 residency card is for those exercising treat rights in another country so it would not apply to my partners IRP as I am Irish and we are in Ireland.
Actually, I'm sorry. I forgot to notice you are Irish,. If you are Irish living in Ireland, then your spouse's permit is probably not an Article 10 card. It would be if you were not Irish and you were exercising treaty rights in Ireland. Sorry for the confusion.

That being said, I'm sorry to say that correcting the answers I do get to the same point as you do, and I am as confused as you are, as it was also my understanding thet Family Permits were to allow entry with the prospects of staying, not just visiting.

Anyone else can clarify?
My posts express what I believe are the facts, based on the best of my knowledge, about the topics discussed in this forum. They do not constitute immigration advice.

Daisies
Ireland

Post by Daisies » Tue Mar 19, 2019 9:32 pm

Hopefully someone can clarify as it is confusing.

kamoe

Post by kamoe » Wed Mar 20, 2019 7:35 pm

After digging for a bit, and not finding anything that indicates the contrary, I come to the conclusion that you can indeed apply for a Family Permit just for visiting the UK, on the basis that you are accompanying your husband on a visit, even if he's not residing in the UK. Even though some language in the Family Permit guidance leads to believe it is meant only for people intending to reside in the UK, in all good faith, I think it is also meant to serve as a visit permit.

Fist, that's what the "Do you need a visa" tells you to do. Second, it's listed as one of the options for "Visiting" family or friends in the UK: https://www.gov.uk/visit-uk-holiday-family-friends

And third, after looking carefully at the requirements for a Family Permit, the only things you need to prove in your case is that you are married, that your relationship is genuine, and that you are both visiting the UK within the 6 months after your application (page 11): https://assets.publishing.service.gov.u ... 2_0EXT.pdf

Good luck.