ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Divorced universal credit

Questions and discussions about claiming benefits while living and working in the UK

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

SundayNight
Newly Registered

Divorced universal credit

Post by SundayNight » Mon Mar 18, 2019 1:17 am

I am a British citizen of Lebanese origins, I have been in the UK for 6 years and four months ago I got divorced, I have an overseas degree and in order to qualify it I have to pass certain exams, it took long because my husband wanted me to stay dependent on him, since the divorce I moved out and I used my own personal savings which at the time were around £9200 to rent this place, I am reading for my exams and practising at home, have been looking for a part time job to support myself, i was told I couldn't claim job seekers allowance until i get my national insurance number which i received yesterday morning, am I eligible for universal credit? I don't have children and I am not disabled, my savings are below £5000 now I am stressing too much I spend hours everyday on indeed, reed, totaljobs, Glassdoor, cv library looking for a 16-20 hours per week job and i haven't gotten any luck yet, am I qualified to receive universal credit? When I rented I told the lettings the truth that i had those savings and i am looking for a job and a friend of mine is my guarantor, will they ask me to leave if I claimed benefits now? I know it's easier to go to the beauru and ask but when I went there five months ago before the divorce they didn't help much.
I'd appreciate any help or guidance.
Thank you.

Casa

Re: Divorced universal credit

Post by Casa » Mon Mar 18, 2019 2:19 am

As this isn't an immigration issue, your local Citizens Advice Bureau (CAB) will be in a better position to advise you regarding Universal Credit.
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

JB007
- thin ice -

Diverced universal credit (2)

Post by JB007 » Mon Mar 18, 2019 11:38 am

So sorry to open up this up, but the CAB are very busy and rely on volunteers. SundayNight, as you are now a British citizen and you don't have anybody subject to immigation control/ an EEA citizen with you, put in a claim for Universal Credit and they will tell you if you can have anything.
https://www.gov.uk/universal-credit/how-to-claim

SundayNight
Newly Registered

Re: Diverced universal credit (2)

Post by SundayNight » Wed Mar 20, 2019 8:45 pm

JB007 wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2019 11:38 am
So sorry to open up this up, but the CAB are very busy and rely on volunteers. SundayNight, as you are now a British citizen and you don't have anybody subject to immigation control/ an EEA citizen with you, put in a claim for Universal Credit and they will tell you if you can have anything.
https://www.gov.uk/universal-credit/how-to-claim
I truly appreciate your reply and I am sorry I had no idea I wasn't supposed to post it here.