ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Maintain PR as a BC

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

simone101
Newly Registered

Maintain PR as a BC

Post by simone101 » Tue Mar 19, 2019 5:43 pm

Hi, I have a dual nationality BC and Italian, I was born in Italy and got my BC when I moved to the UK at 22. I was in the UK for 4 years and then I moved to Spain.

I saw reading documents of the HO that if you are outside of the UK for more than 2 years you would lose your permanent residency. Those same documents make an example of people that have dual citizenship by naturalization and I can't find anything that mentions if that would apply for my case too.

I am interested in this because it seems to me that PR is needed to to apply for a FP via Surinder Singh to move back to the UK with my non-eea wife.

Any sort of help or info on this would be greatly appreciated.

zimba
Mood:

Re: Maintain PR as a BC

Post by zimba » Thu Mar 21, 2019 3:22 am

That only applies to non-EU nationals who hold indefinite leave to remain (ILR). They will lose ILR status if absent form the UK for more than 2 years. That does not apply to a British citizen as British citizens have right of abode in the UK and are not subject to immigration control.

Your non-EEA wife can come to the UK either under EEA regulation or UK immigration rules under family visa. Given that UK may leave the EU soon, I suggest not to go through the EEA regulation route to avoid the Brexit complications.
Advice is given based on my personal research and experience only. Do NOT contact me via private message for immigration advice