ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Removing Lawyer from BC and Registration Application

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

erodigie
Newly Registered
Nigeria

Removing Lawyer from BC and Registration Application

Post by erodigie » Thu Mar 21, 2019 6:08 am

Good morning all.

I sent in 2 applications to the Home Office in January 2019 - one to register my daughter as a British Citizen in and the second was my application for British Citizenship.

I used the postal route and also used a lawyer because my daughters visa had expired in December 2018 and I had put in an application on hold while I was still waiting for a decision on my ILR application at the time. I wanted to keep it consistent as there was currently an application for her in the system and also to ensure that I am able to get the previous application fees back.

Unfortunately, the lawyer has not handled my application as expected and this has delayed the whole application process by more than a month. After the application fee was taken from my account around the middle of February, I prompted him several times that we should have first received an payment acknowledgment and also letter for biometrics (I know this because I closely follow the timeline for BC and registration applications generously made available for us on this website). Most times he would ignore me and at a point, after several weeks, I sent a few emails to the Home Office to request for acknowledgement.

Home Office responded to me immediately and sent me an acknowledgement. Also on Tuesday 19th, the lawyer contacted me to say they had just received my letter for biometrics. He sent a picture of the letter and it was dated 11th of March and the letter stated that I had 10 working days from the date of that letter to submit my biometrics details, meaning I had to do it by the 22nd. The letter also stated that they had sent a previous one which gave me 15 working days to which I never responded nor gave any reasons for not doing it. I asked the lawyer to post the letter to me urgently or at least send me a scanned copy so that I can go to the Post Office and get it done immediately. The letter was only eventually posted yesterday. I am yet to receive it and today is Thursday. I don't even know if I can meet the Friday deadline.

I am very disappointed and would like to deal with the Home Office directly. My question is... how do I remove the lawyer from my case please? Would the Home Office accept an email from me to deal with me directly and send all future correspondence to me?

Please advise.

Thank you.

R-graphite
Mood:

Re: Removing Lawyer from BC and Registration Application

Post by R-graphite » Thu Mar 21, 2019 8:32 am

Terrible to hear about this negligence from your lawyer! I am not sure if there is a structured process to remove him from your case (hopefuly someone else could help in this forum) but If there isn’t, I would write to the Home Office a formal letter/email requesting his removal from the case.
I am not legally qualified, all my answers are from personal experience or readings. Please seek legal advice and don’t take my opinion as one.

Youngobi
Newly Registered
Mood:
Nigeria

Post by Youngobi » Thu Mar 21, 2019 9:44 am

erodigie wrote:
Thu Mar 21, 2019 6:08 am
Good morning all.

I sent in 2 applications to the Home Office in January 2019 - one to register my daughter as a British Citizen in and the second was my application for British Citizenship.

I used the postal route and also used a lawyer because my daughters visa had expired in December 2018 and I had put in an application on hold while I was still waiting for a decision on my ILR application at the time. I wanted to keep it consistent as there was currently an application for her in the system and also to ensure that I am able to get the previous application fees back.

Unfortunately, the lawyer has not handled my application as expected and this has delayed the whole application process by more than a month. After the application fee was taken from my account around the middle of February, I prompted him several times that we should have first received an payment acknowledgment and also letter for biometrics (I know this because I closely follow the timeline for BC and registration applications generously made available for us on this website). Most times he would ignore me and at a point, after several weeks, I sent a few emails to the Home Office to request for acknowledgement.

Home Office responded to me immediately and sent me an acknowledgement. Also on Tuesday 19th, the lawyer contacted me to say they had just received my letter for biometrics. He sent a picture of the letter and it was dated 11th of March and the letter stated that I had 10 working days from the date of that letter to submit my biometrics details, meaning I had to do it by the 22nd. The letter also stated that they had sent a previous one which gave me 15 working days to which I never responded nor gave any reasons for not doing it. I asked the lawyer to post the letter to me urgently or at least send me a scanned copy so that I can go to the Post Office and get it done immediately. The letter was only eventually posted yesterday. I am yet to receive it and today is Thursday. I don't even know if I can meet the Friday deadline.

I am very disappointed and would like to deal with the Home Office directly. My question is... how do I remove the lawyer from my case please? Would the Home Office accept an email from me to deal with me directly and send all future correspondence to me?

Please advise.

Thank you.
I was on a very similar boat with my lawyer, Like R-graphite said there is no structural way of dismissing your lawyer from your case. However, what you can do is write to HO, But this may complicate/Pro-long your decision. You will meet the deadline if you summit your Biometric today or tomorrow. If you do not meet the deadline, then I’d suggest you write to HO stating your situation and contact your lawyer for a refund for not meeting deadlines.

My lawyer tried a similar thing, I went to his office and said I will not pay for the remaining amount until you dealt with my case properly. This put fear in his heart and had no choice but to pay close attention to my situation. Lawyers don’t care about you at all, so you have to communicate with them in a very discipline manner.

erodigie
Newly Registered
Nigeria

Post by erodigie » Thu Mar 21, 2019 9:45 am

Thank you R-graphite for responding and for your advise.

Are there any other suggestions please, as I really want to do something about this today. Till now I don’t have the biometrics letter and tomorrow is meant to be the deadline for this second chance that i was given.

erodigie
Newly Registered
Nigeria

Post by erodigie » Thu Mar 21, 2019 9:49 am

Thank you Youngobi.

I don’t have the letter at the moment. I am now based in London while he is in Scotland. In fact at the moment I think he is out of the country so I can’t really go to the office.

Would it be best to call, email or to send a written letter to the Home Office?

Youngobi
Newly Registered
Mood:
Nigeria

Post by Youngobi » Thu Mar 21, 2019 10:37 am

erodigie wrote:
Thu Mar 21, 2019 9:49 am
Thank you Youngobi.

I don’t have the letter at the moment. I am now based in London while he is in Scotland. In fact at the moment I think he is out of the country so I can’t really go to the office.

Would it be best to call, email or to send a written letter to the Home Office?
If he sent the letter by 1st class you should receive it the next day dependent on when he sent it. Send a Letter to Ho as well as an email stating your situation. This way you have maximum attention on your case. you should never let any lawyer you are unable to meet face2face handle such an important case. Good Luck

Nerazzuri

Post by Nerazzuri » Thu Mar 21, 2019 8:37 pm

If it helps, 10 working days from the 11th will take you to the 25th.