ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Application fee for applications received before 31st March

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

davidm

Application fee for applications received before 31st March

Post by davidm » Fri Mar 18, 2005 8:32 am

I am planning to apply to transfer the ILR on my just expired passport to my new passport. However, I am travelling for Easter and will be back in the UK only on Easter Monday (28th). If I post my application by next day delivery on 29th, Home Office will receive it on 30th. Will I be able to get away with the pre-1st April fee then?
Thanks in advance.

John

Post by John » Fri Mar 18, 2005 10:04 am

Davidm, and I have to say, to my surprise, IND have recently published guidance about the new charges and that guidance includes :-
Cut-off point for the introduction of the new fees

Applications sent before the proposed new fees are introduced at 12:01 a.m. on 1 April 2005 will not incur the new charges. In disputed cases, IND will need to be satisfied that the application was submitted before this date and would require evidence to confirm the situation. In all cases, it should be noted that the date the application was signed does not prove the date the application was submitted.
Which seems to suggest that in respect of posted applications that as long as the application is posted in March, and if necessary you can prove it, the old level of fees will apply .... even where IND receive the application in April.

As it is no doubt the case that Special Delivery will be used for the posting of an application including important documents such as passport, you will of course have total proof as to when the application was posted.

However, I do not suggest that anyone posts on Thursday 31st March just for the sake of it. Obviously far better to post earlier than that.

Where does the quote above come from? Go to Leaflets and then click on "Leave to Remain" to download a PDF file.
John

davidm

Post by davidm » Fri Mar 18, 2005 10:29 am

John wrote:Davidm, and I have to say, to my surprise, IND have recently published guidance about the new charges and that guidance includes :-
Cut-off point for the introduction of the new fees

Applications sent before the proposed new fees are introduced at 12:01 a.m. on 1 April 2005 will not incur the new charges. In disputed cases, IND will need to be satisfied that the application was submitted before this date and would require evidence to confirm the situation. In all cases, it should be noted that the date the application was signed does not prove the date the application was submitted.
Which seems to suggest that in respect of posted applications that as long as the application is posted in March, and if necessary you can prove it, the old level of fees will apply .... even where IND receive the application in April.

As it is no doubt the case that Special Delivery will be used for the posting of an application including important documents such as passport, you will of course have total proof as to when the application was posted.

However, I do not suggest that anyone posts on Thursday 31st March just for the sake of it. Obviously far better to post earlier than that.

Where does the quote above come from? Go to Leaflets and then click on "Leave to Remain" to download a PDF file.
John,
I plan to post it on Tuesday the 29th the first thing in the morning by special delivery- so that should be OK.
Thanks a lot.
David

Joseph
Member of Standing

Post by Joseph » Mon Mar 21, 2005 12:57 am

DavidM

I'm confused, why are you transfering ILR to a new passport when you say in a separate post that you just got citizenship approval?
I have been absent from the UK for almost 6 months at a streach on work, did not affect my ILR application. Also, my citizenship application was accepted this week even though I was out of the country for more than 600 days in the past 5 years (a major part of it was on work, even though I was away for 4 months at a streach due to personal reasons once- death in my wife's family).
If you are really just about to get citizenship, why waste the money?

Joseph

davidm

Post by davidm » Tue Mar 29, 2005 1:41 pm

Joseph wrote:DavidM

I'm confused, why are you transfering ILR to a new passport when you say in a separate post that you just got citizenship approval?
I have been absent from the UK for almost 6 months at a streach on work, did not affect my ILR application. Also, my citizenship application was accepted this week even though I was out of the country for more than 600 days in the past 5 years (a major part of it was on work, even though I was away for 4 months at a streach due to personal reasons once- death in my wife's family).
If you are really just about to get citizenship, why waste the money?

Joseph
True- it is a waste of money...but my new passport is valid for 10 years and I can not attend the citizenship ceremony before June (I am out of the country on the dates they offered to me in April and May), so thought will get it transferred to the new passport.