ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Indefinite Leave to Remain, expiry date!?

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Administrator

Northsea_86
Newly Registered
United States of America

Indefinite Leave to Remain, expiry date!?

Post by Northsea_86 » Fri Mar 22, 2019 12:44 pm

Hi all,

After all the emotional turmoil, costs, and agony, I have finally record my indefinite leave to remain, Set (M). However, I was shocked to see that my BRP expires in 2024, so in 5 years!?? How is this possible!? I thought after two FLM (R) visas and the painful Set (M) ILR, that everything was done and free of applications. Now what happens in 2024? What do I need to do!??

Thanks for your advice and feedback!

Casa
United Kingdom

Re: Indefinite Leave to Remain, expiry date!?

Post by Casa » Fri Mar 22, 2019 1:35 pm

Northsea_86 wrote:
Fri Mar 22, 2019 12:44 pm
Hi all,

After all the emotional turmoil, costs, and agony, I have finally record my indefinite leave to remain, Set (M). However, I was shocked to see that my BRP expires in 2024, so in 5 years!?? How is this possible!? I thought after two FLM (R) visas and the painful Set (M) ILR, that everything was done and free of applications. Now what happens in 2024? What do I need to do!??

Thanks for your advice and feedback!
"The 31 December 2024 validity date is due to a requirement by the EU to restrict BRPs which do not incorporate the next generation of encryption technology. "

BRPs will have to be renewed in the same way you would be expected to renew a bank card or passport. :idea:
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

Northsea_86
Newly Registered
United States of America

Post by Northsea_86 » Fri Mar 22, 2019 1:42 pm

Thanks for that feedback. Where did you see that date? Looking through all the documents (including accompanying paperwork) I don't see that. Upon reflection, I get that it needs to be updated like a driver's licence or passport, but only giving me 5 years seems unnecessary. E.g., I'm given 10 years on my passport.

Also, how would I renew my BRP? I see info if your card is lost or stolen, but nothing about renewing it. What paperwork or costs are associated for renewal?

Thanks again for the advice!

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Fri Mar 22, 2019 1:46 pm

The date is set for all UK and EU biometric cards and passports to be updated with more enhances security features. The UK changes its passports regularly.

Your letter won't state the reason it is only valid till 2024.

Presumably if you do NOT apply for British citizenship, you simply apply for a new BRP Card which costs around £65.

If you apply for British citizenship, then your questions are irrelevant as your ILR BRP becomes invalid once you are British.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

Northsea_86
Newly Registered
United States of America

Post by Northsea_86 » Fri Mar 22, 2019 1:54 pm

Thank you, this is very helpful and has calmed some of my frustrations.

Can you please provide the link to apply for a new BRP? I was only able to find info if my BRP is lost or stolen. I have no interest in becoming a British citizen, so I'll be going down the route of applying for a BRP in 2024.

Thanks again!

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Fri Mar 22, 2019 2:04 pm

Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

Northsea_86
Newly Registered
United States of America

Post by Northsea_86 » Fri Mar 22, 2019 2:22 pm

Awesome, thank you for your help!! I'm feeling a lot better now! :)