ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Child benefit and 30 hours child care for 3-4 year old

Questions and discussions about claiming benefits while living and working in the UK

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

virtual7887
Newly Registered

Child benefit and 30 hours child care for 3-4 year old

Post by virtual7887 » Wed Mar 20, 2019 11:56 am

Hi,

I have an ILR and my daughter is British (born in UK before my ILR. So, registered her as British).
However, my wife is still on PBS dependent visa (Tier2 (General)). She is working.

Can I claim,
  • the child benefit payments for my child?
  • 30 hours child care after my child's 3rd birthday?
I want to be careful because I do not want to affect my wife's renewal or ILR because of the above claims.

Any pointers to official documents that state this situation more clearly would be a relief and I can move ahead confidently.

Many Thanks,
Vikas

virtual7887
Newly Registered

Re: Child benefit and 30 hours child care for 3-4 year old

Post by virtual7887 » Wed Mar 20, 2019 12:11 pm

An additional doubt,

The child benefit form asks for both partners details.
So, I am not sure if it is as if we both are claiming together OR its like I am claiming alone.

virtual7887
Newly Registered

Post by virtual7887 » Mon Mar 25, 2019 11:35 am

Hi Guys,

Can someone please help me with my query here?

I would be grateful..

Thanks.

JB007
- thin ice -

Post by JB007 » Mon Mar 25, 2019 12:13 pm

virtual7887 wrote:
Wed Mar 20, 2019 12:11 pm
An additional doubt,

So, I am not sure if it is as if we both are claiming together OR its like I am claiming alone.
If you are allowed to have UK benefits, put the Child benefit in your name only. Child Benefit is a Public Fund and it will be a breach of visa conditions for your wife to put this benefit in her name.

The reason they want the details of your partner is because Child Benefit has an income cap for each partner. The government explains it all here-
https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... -documents

JB007
- thin ice -

Post by JB007 » Mon Mar 25, 2019 12:25 pm

"Child Benefit can be backdated for up to 3 months."
https://www.gov.uk/child-benefit/how-to-claim

You can backdate your claim for up to 3 months, IF you held ILR then AND you had a child in your household .

If one of you earns over the cap for this benefit, the government allow you to pay more into your pension to reduce your earnings. Look on the internet for how to do that.

virtual7887
Newly Registered

Post by virtual7887 » Wed Mar 27, 2019 2:02 pm

JB007 wrote:
Mon Mar 25, 2019 12:13 pm
virtual7887 wrote:
Wed Mar 20, 2019 12:11 pm
An additional doubt,

If you are allowed to have UK benefits, put the Child benefit in your name only. Child Benefit is a Public Fund and it will be a breach of visa conditions for your wife to put this benefit in her name.

The reason they want the details of your partner is because Child Benefit has an income cap for each partner. The government explains it all here-
https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... -documents
I have applied using this form https://assets.publishing.service.gov.u ... 18.pdf.pdf

Many thanks for the response.

1.)
It is all my details in the "about you" questions. I have given my wife's details in the "About your partner" questions. I gave my bank details and only I signed the form.
Does this mean I put the Child benefit in my name only (as you mentioned above) ?

2.) Also, reg my second question above, can I claim the 30 hours free child care for my child after her 3rd birthday? (if both I and my wife are working?) If yes, how do I claim?

Honey12345
Newly Registered
Lebanon

Post by Honey12345 » Fri Sep 13, 2019 4:08 pm

Is 3 year (15 hours ) nursery is a benefit or it for all th children born is UK no matter on what visa status they are?