ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Does 10 year long residency duration count in 2 different countries?

Immigration to European countries, don't post UK or Ireland related topics!

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

UA2015

Does 10 year long residency duration count in 2 different countries?

Post by UA2015 » Tue Mar 26, 2019 1:41 am

Hello,
I will be very greatfull if someone can help me with this please. My friend lived in Italy for 7 years and after he moved to Spain. Now he been living there for 6 years and he have “ larga duracion “ residency. Now can
He apply for citizenship on the base of long residency? Or can he apply for residency on the base of his current residency which is “ larga duracion “ ? In Spain they issued this residency because he was living in Italy before.
Kindly if anyone can guide what’s best for him. Complete his 10 years in Spain and apply for citizenship or can he apply now ( if add Italy time as well) ? As he have “larga duracion ” residency.
Thanks

Caravel88
Member of Standing
Mood:
Spain

Re: Does 10 year long residency duration count in 2 different countries?

Post by Caravel88 » Tue Mar 26, 2019 1:17 pm

What his nationality? In general one needs to have lived in Spain for 10 years. Years in Italy won't count.
UA2015 wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2019 1:41 am
Hello,
I will be very greatfull if someone can help me with this please. My friend lived in Italy for 7 years and after he moved to Spain. Now he been living there for 6 years and he have “ larga duracion “ residency. Now can
He apply for citizenship on the base of long residency? Or can he apply for residency on the base of his current residency which is “ larga duracion “ ? In Spain they issued this residency because he was living in Italy before.
Kindly if anyone can guide what’s best for him. Complete his 10 years in Spain and apply for citizenship or can he apply now ( if add Italy time as well) ? As he have “larga duracion ” residency.
Thanks

UA2015

Post by UA2015 » Tue Mar 26, 2019 4:53 pm

Thanks for your reply.

His nationality is Pakistani. Anything with the type of visa he have?

Caravel88
Member of Standing
Mood:
Spain

Post by Caravel88 » Tue Mar 26, 2019 5:06 pm

Anything as in?
UA2015 wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2019 4:53 pm
Thanks for your reply.

His nationality is Pakistani. Anything with the type of visa he have?

UA2015

Post by UA2015 » Wed Mar 27, 2019 12:55 am

Sorry I was saying about “larga duracion residencia”. When he move to Spain they issued him this visa. But while I was searching about the information about long residency, I find out that If you have permanent residence ( larga duracion residencia) for 5 years so you can apply for citizenship. Not sure if I understood it correctly. In Spain authorities issued him this visa because he has residency in Italy before. So that’s why I was thinking if there’s possibility for him to apply for citizenship. But I guess as you said and most sites as well, he have to wait for 10 years in Spain etc to qualify.

Caravel88
Member of Standing
Mood:
Spain

Post by Caravel88 » Wed Mar 27, 2019 8:14 am

I'd advise you to research in to this more but from what I know, you have to live for 10 years and during this period you must hold permanent residency for 5 years. So there are 2 conditions to fulfill. But your friend should check with authorities in case there might be other options.
UA2015 wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2019 12:55 am
Sorry I was saying about “larga duracion residencia”. When he move to Spain they issued him this visa. But while I was searching about the information about long residency, I find out that If you have permanent residence ( larga duracion residencia) for 5 years so you can apply for citizenship. Not sure if I understood it correctly. In Spain authorities issued him this visa because he has residency in Italy before. So that’s why I was thinking if there’s possibility for him to apply for citizenship. But I guess as you said and most sites as well, he have to wait for 10 years in Spain etc to qualify.

UA2015

Post by UA2015 » Wed Mar 27, 2019 11:23 am

Thus exactly what I read that 5 years permanent residency and in total 10. They have issued him 2nd time the same for 5 years. I will suggest him go and seek advice from local authorities as in Spain different cities or states come under their own requirements etc. Thank you very much for your help.