ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Biometric Residence Permit issues

Only for UK Tier 5 (Temporary work) points system
Also includes the Youth Mobility Scheme Tier 5

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

Missy26
Newly Registered
Australia

Biometric Residence Permit issues

Post by Missy26 » Tue Apr 02, 2019 8:41 am

I have an approved UK Tier 5 Youth Mobility Scheme Visa. My visa has been approved for me to work in the UK from 09 July 2019 until 09 July 2021.

I have done some research online but to no avail and can’t find any contact details for the UK Immigration and approved visas. There is only form to contact them about pending applications and it says that they cannot give you advice about your personal circumstances.

The situation:
I arrive in the UK on 08 July 2019 and am there for a few days before I fly to travel around Europe for a number of weeks. (back in the UK permanently until 23 or 24 September)

I had planned to pick up the my BRP (Biometric Residence Permit) from my nominated post office sometime from 08 July until 11 July as I fly to Croatia on 11 July 2019.

I have just re-read my approval letter from the immigration office and it says that my BRP will only be available for collection from 16 July. I am not able to collect the BRP from then as I will be travelling around Europe and will not be back in the UK until September and the vignette sticker in my passport runs out on 08 August. I made these travel plans before my visa was approved for the UK and I am not able to change them as I am on group tours.

My question is, do you know if there is there any way my BRP can be pushed forward to be made available for collection for when I first arrive in the UK? This is anytime from 08-11 July 2019? I am confused as to why it says collection is only available from the 16th July as my Visa says I am able to work from the 9th July.

I had planned to pick this up as soon as I arrived in the UK and if its not going to be ready until 16 July, then I am going to miss picking it up by literally 5 or 6 days.

Or is there another way around this? Help is appreciated!

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: Biometric Residence Permit issues

Post by CR001 » Tue Apr 02, 2019 8:52 am

If your visa is only valid from 9th July, you cannot enter the UK before this (8th July) as a Tier 5 visa holder.

Once you arrive, go to the post office to see if it is there. Many times they are already available to collect on the date of arrival.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

Missy26
Newly Registered
Australia

Post by Missy26 » Tue Apr 02, 2019 8:57 am

Thank you. I have a flight to Croatia a few days later on the 11th and can prove it so I've been told as long as I can show them that at the border, I shouldn't have any issues entering the UK as I'm obviously not going there to work for 1 day. I arrive early morning on the 8th and I could enter as a tourist no? I have the travel documents to prove I am travelling basically up until September so there is no chance I could work.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Tue Apr 02, 2019 9:02 am

You need your 30 day visa vignette stamped to 'activate' the visa usually and this has to be presented to the Post Office.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

Missy26
Newly Registered
Australia

Post by Missy26 » Tue Apr 02, 2019 9:06 am

CR001 wrote:
Tue Apr 02, 2019 9:02 am
You need your 30 day visa vignette stamped to 'activate' the visa usually and this has to be presented to the Post Office.
Assuming that happens at the border in the UK? Also I feel like it would be common sense to arrive the day before (at least) your work Visa starts so you can get set up etc?

So you're saying I should try going to the post office as soon as I get there to see if it's there as they often arrive before the date that they say? What happens if it's not there and then I cannot collect it?

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Tue Apr 02, 2019 9:14 am

Assuming that happens at the border in the UK? Also I feel like it would be common sense to arrive the day before (at least) your work Visa starts so you can get set up etc?
Yes, the IO at the UK airport has to stamp you in. If you arrive before your visa validity, you will likely only be stamped in as a visitor with 6 months max entry. Anyone who applies for non visit visas can only enter the UK from their visa validity date.
So you're saying I should try going to the post office as soon as I get there to see if it's there as they often arrive before the date that they say? What happens if it's not there and then I cannot collect it?
If it isn't there, not much you can do. They won't hold onto to it indefinitely either. You will need it to return to the UK.
Char (CR001 not Casa)