ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

British passport application before travelling

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

greenapplered
Newly Registered

British passport application before travelling

Post by greenapplered » Wed Mar 27, 2019 3:40 pm

Hello everyone,

I have recently became a British citizen. I have attended my ceremony on Saturday and received my naturalisation certificate. When I applied for citizenship, I also included passport application (the form through post office). I have applied myself.

I have checked with passport office and they are not not aware of my passport application. I have been calling home office and passport office for the last two days and nobody managed to guide me.

My problem is that I am travelling to Australia for a month on 11/04 and I dont have a time to apply for a passport now. I'm not sure what to do and I am really stressed. I have cut and posted my ILR back after my ceremony so I dont have any documents to show on the border on my return to the UK.

1) Can I enter the UK with my naturalization certificate?
2) If I apply for a passport again tomorrow I think I need to give my naturalisation certificate and my original passport (non-eu)? If I give my passport I cannot travel on 11/04.
3) Would I be allowed to check in in Australia to the plane?
4) I thought I could apply for a passport and arranged it to be delivered to my workplace while I am in Australia. Then one of my colleague could send it to Australisa by DHL. Only problem is that I need my original passport back before 11/04 to travel to Australia. Can I request my original passport back after the application?

I am really stress, please could someone help me?

Thank you.

alterhase58
Germany

Re: British passport application before travelling

Post by alterhase58 » Wed Mar 27, 2019 3:48 pm

How did you apply for the passport?

1) Can I enter the UK with my naturalization certificate? Probably but you also need to show a passport
2) If I apply for a passport again tomorrow I think I need to give my naturalisation certificate and my original passport (non-eu)? If I give my passport I cannot travel on 11/04. correct
3) Would I be allowed to check in in Australia to the plane? If you have Passport and BRP
4) I thought I could apply for a passport and arranged it to be delivered to my workplace while I am in Australia. Then one of my colleague could send it to Australisa by DHL. Only problem is that I need my original passport back before 11/04 to travel to Australia. Can I request my original passport back after the application? Unlikely
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.
Please do not send me private messages asking for advice.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Wed Mar 27, 2019 3:49 pm

When I applied for citizenship, I also included passport application (the form through post office). I have applied myself.
What do you mean?? When did you apply for citizenship and how did you submit your form AN application?
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

greenapplered
Newly Registered

Post by greenapplered » Wed Mar 27, 2019 3:52 pm

I have applied myself along with my citizenship application. I think they just ignored the passport application as I was not a citizen back then in January.

I'm not sure what to do.

Some people from home office and passport office advised me to use my naturalisation certificate on the border however I dont have a written confirmation. If I have any problem I'm not sure who to refer.

I have also read online that it may not be possible to enter back to the UK with naturalisation so I dont tknow.

I dont have ILR anymore. I have posted it back after my ceremony.

greenapplered
Newly Registered

Post by greenapplered » Wed Mar 27, 2019 3:53 pm

CR001 wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2019 3:49 pm
When I applied for citizenship, I also included passport application (the form through post office). I have applied myself.
What do you mean?? When did you apply for citizenship and how did you submit your form AN application?
I have applied for British citizenship in January 2019 myself, paper form at post office. I have also filled the passport application form and included it with 2 passport size pic and my credit card details. This was an advise from my solicitor.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Wed Mar 27, 2019 3:54 pm

greenapplered wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2019 3:53 pm
CR001 wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2019 3:49 pm
I have applied for British citizenship in January 2019 myself, paper form at post office. I have also filled the passport application form and included it with 2 passport size pic and my credit card details. This was an advise from my solicitor.
You cannot do that on your own. It was ONLY possible using the NCS and NDRS service at the council.

Since November/December 2018, you have to wait till your citizenship ceremony and then submit your passport application.

Your solicitor gave you wrong advice.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

greenapplered
Newly Registered

Post by greenapplered » Wed Mar 27, 2019 3:57 pm

Okay damage is done.

What can I do know? Could you please help me? What is the best way to continue from now?

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Wed Mar 27, 2019 4:02 pm

If you are not able to postpone your trip, which is what would be advisable, then travel and explain on your return and present your cert if you have any issues. If you have a copy of your BRP, take that with you too.

If you are Australian (?), you should be fine as you don't need a pre-approved visa to enter the UK.
Char (CR001 not Casa)

greenapplered
Newly Registered

Post by greenapplered » Wed Mar 27, 2019 4:18 pm

CR001 wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2019 4:02 pm
If you are not able to postpone your trip, which is what would be advisable, then travel and explain on your return and present your cert if you have any issues. If you have a copy of your BRP, take that with you too.

If you are Australian (?), you should be fine as you don't need a pre-approved visa to enter the UK.
I am not Australian.

I have a non-eu passport.
I am also worried that I might not be allowed to the plane in Australia on my way back. I have sent an email to Ethiad and attached copy of my ILR. I will wait what they say.

On the UK border, I dont know what to do. I might not be allowed back to the UK with my naturalisation certificate.

I cannot postpone my trip :(

Do you think they might issue some sort of paper or temp passport which would allow me back to the UK?

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Wed Mar 27, 2019 4:23 pm

greenapplered wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2019 4:18 pm
CR001 wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2019 4:02 pm

I am not Australian.

I have a non-eu passport.
I am also worried that I might not be allowed to the plane in Australia on my way back. I have sent an email to Ethiad and attached copy of my ILR. I will wait what they say.

On the UK border, I dont know what to do. I might not be allowed back to the UK with my naturalisation certificate.

I cannot postpone my trip :(

Do you think they might issue some sort of paper or temp passport which would allow me back to the UK?
What is your nationality??

Unfortunately an airline is unlikely to accept a photocopy of ILR BRP or your naturalisation cert (which is not a travel document).
Char (CR001 not Casa)

greenapplered
Newly Registered

Post by greenapplered » Wed Mar 27, 2019 4:27 pm

Turkish.

Thank you for your help.

If I apply for passport tomorrow and request my own passport back all would be sorted. Do you think this is possible?

greenapplered
Newly Registered

Post by greenapplered » Wed Mar 27, 2019 4:57 pm

Sorry, has anyone know any way please?

Surely, there must be a way for me to enter the country on my way back from Australia?

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Wed Mar 27, 2019 5:07 pm

greenapplered wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2019 4:57 pm
Sorry, has anyone know any way please?

Surely, there must be a way for me to enter the country on my way back from Australia?
Without a visa or ILR original proof or British Passport, you will be unlikely to even board the plane back.
Char (CR001 not Casa)

joeano353
BANNED
Tuvalu

Post by joeano353 » Wed Mar 27, 2019 7:52 pm

The problem for you is not the UKBA. They will allow you enter seeing your naturalisation cert. Besides you are already registered in the system as British. The problem is will the airline allow you to board. The airline will never commit to accepting you on board. Even if you get an email confirming you would be allowed to travel, no counter staff would take the risk as the airline has to pay a fine. And they would be responsible. So the alternative would be to apply at a British consulate but you may have to wait longer than your intended trip.

moncici
Newly Registered

Post by moncici » Thu Mar 28, 2019 4:12 pm

Hi everyone,
I have a somewhat similar case. Today I have received a letter from HO confirming that my application for BC was successful but I haven't booked ceremony yet and hence I don't have a naturalisation certificate yet.
I will have to travel for work from April 10 to April 19 and my question is - would I be able to re-enter UK with my current BRP or it would be invalid already?
As I understand from other comments here if I book a ceremony next week and will be given a naturalisation certificate I'll have to return my BRP within 5 days and won't be able to travel in that case. But if I have the ceremony after my return would my BRP still be valid until then?
I can't cancel the trip as it will affect my business and cause irreparable damage (I am going to Japan and cancelling meetings with Japanese partner on such short notice would be considered as an insult and I won't be able to repair that damage).

Thank you in advance for any advice.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Thu Mar 28, 2019 4:19 pm

moncici wrote:
Thu Mar 28, 2019 4:12 pm
Hi everyone,
I have a somewhat similar case. Today I have received a letter from HO confirming that my application for BC was successful but I haven't booked ceremony yet and hence I don't have a naturalisation certificate yet.
I will have to travel for work from April 10 to April 19 and my question is - would I be able to re-enter UK with my current BRP or it would be invalid already?
As I understand from other comments here if I book a ceremony next week and will be given a naturalisation certificate I'll have to return my BRP within 5 days and won't be able to travel in that case. But if I have the ceremony after my return would my BRP still be valid until then?
I can't cancel the trip as it will affect my business and cause irreparable damage (I am going to Japan and cancelling meetings with Japanese partner on such short notice would be considered as an insult and I won't be able to repair that damage).

You should start your own topic please with your questions instead of tagging onto other members topics. See Point 12 in the forum rules FAQs (click)

You are only British once you attend the ceremony and BRP valid until then. Free to travel and attend ceremony once you return.
Char (CR001 not Casa)

alterhase58
Germany

Post by alterhase58 » Thu Mar 28, 2019 4:20 pm

moncici wrote:
Thu Mar 28, 2019 4:12 pm
Hi everyone,

You are unlikely to get a ceremony booking by 10th April. Book for after you come back - you can use your existing Passport and BRP, as you are not yet British.
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.
Please do not send me private messages asking for advice.

moncici
Newly Registered

Post by moncici » Thu Mar 28, 2019 4:37 pm

Thank you for your help and sorry about posting my question in a wrong thread - I am new to the forum and will adhere to rules moving forward.

greenapplered
Newly Registered

Post by greenapplered » Tue Apr 02, 2019 10:26 am

Hello everyone,

Just to inform everyone who is in a similar situation as me.

I have applied for a British passport on 28/03/2019 by post office check & send service.

The passport office confirmed that they have received my application on 01/04/2019. I have received a text from them today saying they will contact me if they need extra info or interview by 23/04 which is a bit worrying.

I have been calling, e-mailing even harassing them on twitter constantly. I need my Turkish passport back before 11/04 to be able to travel to Australia.

When I applied for a passport, I have included a cover letter explaining my situation. However, when I spoke to passport office on the phone they were not aware of the cover letter for some reasona so I had to send another letter today.

I want my British passport to be delivered to my work so they wanted a verification letter from work confirming that I work there. They should receive it by 1pm tomorrow.

Hopefully, I will receive my Turkish passport before my travel.

They also said on the phone that I dont need an interview as I was neutralised recently. Hopefully, this is correct. From my experience, not everyone gives the correct information unfortunately.

Finally, I asked them to send my British passport to my work so one of my colleague can DHL it to Sydney while I'm there.

Too many obstacles to overcome at the moment but I'm positive :)

If anyone has any recommendations etc, please do. I might not be aware of anything useful that you may know.

Thanks and lots of love to everyone!

Alien2017

Post by Alien2017 » Tue Apr 02, 2019 11:19 am

You might be able to receive it yourself, they have received my documents for mine on the 25th and last night got a text that the passport is on the way and a text from the courier that will be delivered today, I think you'll get it before you travel.

greenapplered
Newly Registered

Post by greenapplered » Tue Apr 02, 2019 2:55 pm

Alien2017 wrote:
Tue Apr 02, 2019 11:19 am
You might be able to receive it yourself, they have received my documents for mine on the 25th and last night got a text that the passport is on the way and a text from the courier that will be delivered today, I think you'll get it before you travel.
Hello Alien2017, thank you for your reply.

Was it your first adult British passport after neutralisation?

You have applied for it last week on 25/03 and received a text saying the passport is on the way on 01/04? in one week!?? wow!! That is really good and promising if it was your first passport.

I hope same will happen for me :)

greenapplered
Newly Registered

Post by greenapplered » Tue Apr 02, 2019 2:59 pm

I have received a phone call from passport office today. The lady said that my application will be with the examination team on Thursday so I should call them on Thursday 04/04 to see if they can send my Turkish passport back or not.

This is so super stressful because if they are willing to send my Turkish passport back, I have to receive it the Wednesday 10/04 the latest! I'm travelling on 11/04.

I will develop some sort of cancer because of this soon!! :cry:

Alien2017

Post by Alien2017 » Wed Apr 03, 2019 10:36 am

Hi, yes is the first passport. Today I have a text from the courier that will be delivered. My husband's has been approved in a week as well, sent it a day after me and got the approval text yesterday. You will be fine.

greenapplered
Newly Registered

Post by greenapplered » Wed Apr 03, 2019 3:25 pm

Alien2017 wrote:
Wed Apr 03, 2019 10:36 am
Hi, yes is the first passport. Today I have a text from the courier that will be delivered. My husband's has been approved in a week as well, sent it a day after me and got the approval text yesterday. You will be fine.
Congrats!

This is hopeful! Thank you very much, I do hope so!

greenapplered
Newly Registered

Post by greenapplered » Thu Apr 04, 2019 2:13 pm

I have just called passport office and was told that my British passport is being printed at the moment!! This might be a proper record!! They have received it on Monday 01/04 and is being printed on 04/04!!!

and they returned the supporting documents ( Turkish passport & nat. certificate)

I'm beyond happy at the moment!!!!

Thanks to everyone who helped me with this issue on here :)

Lots of love to everyone! xx