ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Car insurance with Leave to Remain

This is an area for the discussion of matters related to issues about moving from one country to another. Examples could be about money transfer, moving and packing, validity of driving licence, etc..

It is not a general non-immigration, free-for-all area.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

mlarrs17
Newly Registered
Mood:
United States of America

Car insurance with Leave to Remain

Post by mlarrs17 » Wed Apr 03, 2019 5:59 pm

Hi! I have a question about car insurance while having leave to remain.
I am here on my first leave to remain as a spouse. I'm from the US, but since I've lived here for over 2 years my licence is no longer valid and I have gotten my provisional UK licence. I am looking to get car insurance to either practice between lessons with my husbands car or for my own car which I would likely purchase before I pass my full test.
My question is this:
All policies seem to require permanent residency in the UK, but all the information I can find online says that you are not permanently resident here until you have ILR, so how do you go about finding insurance if you are not quite a "permanent" resident.
Anyone in a similar situation (with leave to remain) found an insurance company that will cover you? I know it has to happen, I feel like I'm just not looking in the right places.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: Car insurance with Leave to Remain

Post by CR001 » Wed Apr 03, 2019 6:09 pm

1. Your spouse can take out insurance for you or add you to their insurance with your car. It might be costly though.

2. By permanent residence, they mean resident of the UK, habitually residence with a valid visa or ILR or Citizenship and not here a visitor. Many migrants with leave to remain get insurance.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

mlarrs17
Newly Registered
Mood:
United States of America

Re: Car insurance with Leave to Remain

Post by mlarrs17 » Wed Apr 03, 2019 6:56 pm

Thanks for the reply & clearing things up for me :D