ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Tier 5 application - keeping passport for holiday (Urgent advice needed!)

Only for UK Tier 5 (Temporary work) points system
Also includes the Youth Mobility Scheme Tier 5

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

Wayfarer1985
Newly Registered
Australia

Tier 5 application - keeping passport for holiday (Urgent advice needed!)

Post by Wayfarer1985 » Fri Apr 05, 2019 1:16 pm

Hi all
I'm an Australian currently living in the UK and working on a Tier 5 VISA.
I will be leaving on the day my VISA expires to go back to Australia. I will be applying for a new Tier 5 VISA from my home town in Australia (sponsored by my UK employer) for a remaining one year in the UK, using VFSGlobal, who handled my original application. I am on a tight time-frame with respect to my sponsorship and also need to leave Australia for a wedding, out of the country during the time I am applying for my VISA (it was not received favourably for me to apply for my VISA after returning to Australia).

I will be trying to use the 'Retain my passport' service that VFS offer, however I have heard mixed anecdotal reviews from people, and had a vague email from UK Immigration services that they don't recommend people travel while their VISA is pending. Nowhere have I been able to procure any more information on this or speak to a representative of VFS who can advise me. My family members have even been to visit the local VFS branch, to no avail. I am hoping someone has experience with this. If all goes well I will submit my application, retain my passport, leave the country for ten days and return home while the visa is still being processed and it can be physically supplied for the VISA transfer.

Curious to hear opinions. I think my only other options would be to leave immediately and hope that I can sort my VISA before my flights out of the country for the wedding or if it will hurt my chances to apply and leave, then apply with the accelerated, more costly option, so that I can make it back in time to appease my employer. I don't want to encounter the situation where I have to choose between the wedding or my VISA.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: Tier 5 application - keeping passport for holiday (Urgent advice needed!)

Post by CR001 » Fri Apr 05, 2019 1:19 pm

Which category of Tier 5 do you currently hold?

Which category of Tier 5 are you applying for from Australia?
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

Wayfarer1985
Newly Registered
Australia

Post by Wayfarer1985 » Fri Apr 05, 2019 1:43 pm

Thanks for the reply!

Govt authorised exchange (for both).

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Fri Apr 05, 2019 2:01 pm

vague email from UK Immigration services that they don't recommend people travel while their VISA is pending.
This refers to application made WITHIN the UK. If you apply outside the UK, you will be notified when to submit your passport, within x number of days, but other than that, you are free to travel.

Presumably you are not traveling to the UK while your visa is being processed?
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

Wayfarer1985
Newly Registered
Australia

Post by Wayfarer1985 » Fri Apr 05, 2019 2:16 pm

CR001 wrote:
Fri Apr 05, 2019 2:01 pm
vague email from UK Immigration services that they don't recommend people travel while their VISA is pending.
This refers to application made WITHIN the UK. If you apply outside the UK, you will be notified when to submit your passport, within x number of days, but other than that, you are free to travel.

Presumably you are not traveling to the UK while your visa is being processed?
I'm planning to go to Japan for ten days. I understand that when utilising VFS's 'retain your passport' service they will take a photocopy and request the original once the decision has been made, so that the vignette can be affixed. I am just wondering what happens in the eventuality that the VISA is approved while I am away in Japan. Will this endanger the application, or will I have a certain time-frame to physically provide the passport?

Karaaa
Newly Registered
Australia

Post by Karaaa » Sun Sep 29, 2019 7:27 am

Hello? Any updates on this? I am in a similar situation where I need to keep my passport and travel after applying for the visa. Did you have any difficulty picking up the visa once you got into the country? Can you give me a timeline on how long they give you to pick up your completed visa if you've kept your passport?

Thanks for the info.