ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Working in US for a French Company

Immigration to European countries, don't post UK or Ireland related topics!

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

Ximon
United States of America

Working in US for a French Company

Post by Ximon » Tue Apr 02, 2019 4:24 pm

I am discussing working as a senior executive and part equity owner of a startup company in France. My job would be primarily based in the US as a client manager but I would travel often to France and Europe to promote the company and oversee certain operations. Company is registered in France. What type of work permit would I need? We don't want to set up a French subsidiary for US if it is not needed.

Caravel88
Member of Standing
Mood:
Spain

Re: Working in US for a French Company

Post by Caravel88 » Thu Apr 04, 2019 10:06 am

You can't get a work permit if you are not living in France.
You already have the right to travel to the EU visa-free for business and pleasure.
Ximon wrote:
Tue Apr 02, 2019 4:24 pm
I am discussing working as a senior executive and part equity owner of a startup company in France. My job would be primarily based in the US as a client manager but I would travel often to France and Europe to promote the company and oversee certain operations. Company is registered in France. What type of work permit would I need? We don't want to set up a French subsidiary for US if it is not needed.

Ximon
United States of America

Post by Ximon » Thu Apr 04, 2019 11:19 pm

Thanks but I am only allowed to visit France visa free for 90 days and, as I understand it, to "attend or participate in trade fairs, seminars or conferences related to your professional activity". Perhaps there is a longer term work visa I can get?

Caravel88
Member of Standing
Mood:
Spain

Post by Caravel88 » Fri Apr 05, 2019 10:21 am

You'd have to live in France.
If you are willing to move, live, and work in France, yes there is another visa you can get.

Basically here it how it goes:

There are two main categories. Short stay (up to 90 days within a 180 day period) or long stay (longer than 180 days in a year).

You already get to visit France for business or pleasure for stays up to 90 days within a 180 day period.

If you want more than that, you have to get a long stay visa and actually live in the country. Living in the country means you can not be away for longer than 90 days in a year and you'd have to be in-country for 9 months out of 12 minimum.

Anyway let me ask you, are you seriously going to be travelling for over 180 days in a calendar year for business in the Schengen area alone? Because I highly doubt that.
Ximon wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 11:19 pm
Thanks but I am only allowed to visit France visa free for 90 days and, as I understand it, to "attend or participate in trade fairs, seminars or conferences related to your professional activity". Perhaps there is a longer term work visa I can get?

Ximon
United States of America

Post by Ximon » Sat Apr 06, 2019 6:00 am

No, I doubt I will need to visit the Schengen (outside of France) for more than a few months a year. My problem is that I may want to return to the US for more than 90 days each year. That's the nature of the job - working for a French company but traveling to USA quite often. Also, as I stated, it appears that my business in France may be limited to fairs, meetings and conferences rather than actual work. So perhaps my only option is to get a long-term resident visa along with a work permit?