ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Canadian Working Holiday to Work Permit

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

thomjorke
Newly Registered
Canada

Canadian Working Holiday to Work Permit

Post by thomjorke » Wed Apr 03, 2019 10:18 am

Hi all!
I am in desperate need of help on this subject.. and as you know asking questions regarding immigration in Ireland is nearly impossible.

I am currently on a working holiday visa from Canada in Ireland for two years. My visa expires October 2019 but I am currently employed (under Trusted Partnership) until January. My employment is able to sponsor me, but they are wondering if I must leave the country first when my visa expires BEFORE applying for the new visa, or if I can apply for the new visa before I must leave???

I asked the employment permit DBEI and they stated that I must leave first for a new visa, but the immigration centre in Anglesea (cork) stated I must apply before I leave. I know a few foreigners here under working holiday who applied for a new visa while living in Ireland and did not have to leave at all (New Zealanders though).

Does anyone have any experience on this topic? Any help would be amazing

Thanks!

farahb18
Newly Registered
Canada

Re: Canadian Working Holiday to Work Permit

Post by farahb18 » Sun Apr 07, 2019 10:35 am

Hi there,

I was in the exact same situation as you. I was on my WHA and applied for my Critical Skills permit in November 2018 as my company wanted to sponsor me. It was rejected on the basis that WHA holders must leave the country and re-apply for any other permission to stay or work. I spoke to three laywers, one of whom was able to tell me that this was an amendment passed in September 2018, but not publicised.

I contacted GNIB who told me that WHA holders are not allowed to re-enter the country under any circumstances at any point in the future (even for tourism reasons) after their WHA expires. I have in writing from DBEI that this is not correct, so I have now left and submitted a new application, luckily my job is willing to hold for me. If you leave and re-apply, you must be able to prove by means of passport stamps that you left Ireland on or before the date that your WHA expired.

Let me know if you need any other info or guidance, I could refer you to the solicitors I spoke to as well, but they are all Dublin-based.

kphill08
Newly Registered
Canada

Post by kphill08 » Thu Jul 11, 2019 6:38 am

Hi there,

I am going through this situation at the moment as my work would like to extend my contract for two years but my WHA won't allow for application of a new visa while still in the country. I have called immigration and no one is able to give me a straight answer other than that I must leave the country for 12 weeks while the application is being processed.

Do you know if I must be out of the country for the entire duration or can you leave for a week and return to Ireland before the visa application is processed?
As well is there any circumstances its takes less than 12 weeks?
How does that work in terms of your employer - can you take a temporary leave from your work while you leave or because there will be a time when your WHA lapses and your Critical Skills Permit is not yet active, you must completely leave your position and start again?
Also, how does this work in terms of your IRP, bank and PPSN? Will I need a new PPSN and must I close my bank while I am gone?
So there is no way to apply before the expiration of my WHA with a start date for my Critical Skills permit after my WHA has expired?
So many unanswered questions and theres not a whole lot of information out there!

Thanks in advance,
Katie

expatlux
Newly Registered
Mood:
Ireland

Post by expatlux » Thu Jul 11, 2019 7:45 pm

kphill08 wrote:
Thu Jul 11, 2019 6:38 am

Also, how does this work in terms of your IRP, bank and PPSN? Will I need a new PPSN and must I close my bank while I am gone?
I'm no help with the actual employment visa part of your question, however, your IRP is tied to your visa. My current IRP expires the day my WHA does. As for a bank account and PPSN, neither are tied to residency (as far as I'm aware). I assume my PPSN is for life, someone else please correct me if I'm wrong. I've been in and out of Ireland repeatedly, including three several months long stints overseas, and had no issues with my bank accounts.

littlerr
Respected Guru
China

Post by littlerr » Thu Jul 11, 2019 11:16 pm

expatlux wrote:
Thu Jul 11, 2019 7:45 pm
kphill08 wrote:
Thu Jul 11, 2019 6:38 am

I'm no help with the actual employment visa part of your question, however, your IRP is tied to your visa. My current IRP expires the day my WHA does. As for a bank account and PPSN, neither are tied to residency (as far as I'm aware). I assume my PPSN is for life, someone else please correct me if I'm wrong. I've been in and out of Ireland repeatedly, including three several months long stints overseas, and had no issues with my bank accounts.
That’s correct. Your PPSN and bank accounts are not tied to residency.