ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

UKM application experience and timeline

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

bletchlypark
United States of America

Re: UKM application experience and timeline

Post by bletchlypark » Wed Mar 20, 2019 6:14 pm

keh723 wrote:
Wed Mar 20, 2019 3:06 pm
Tears of joy!!! My sister and I have received the letter approving our application!!! So happy right now!! Quite surprised with how quickly it seemed to go.

Eligibility criteria: UKM ( By descent )
: American
Applying from: US
Method of application: Paperform
Date sent to UKVI - 1/24 USPS Priority Intl
According to parcel tracking, UKVI in Liverpool received my Form & Docs - Feb 1
Payment method: Debit Card
Date of fee debit: Feb 11
Email with case number : Feb 12
Date of acknowledgement by letter : Feb 12
Date of email requesting biometrics: Feb 11
Date of email confirming biometrics appt: Feb 18
Biometrics appointment scheduled for: Feb 27
Biometrics done: Feb 27
Date of approval: March 12, 2019 (received 19th)
Date of ceremony:
Date applied for passports:
Congrats! You applied a month after me and already got approval, that is fast! Maybe the paper applications are being processed faster.

keh723
United States of America

Post by keh723 » Wed Mar 20, 2019 6:52 pm

bletchlypark wrote:
Wed Mar 20, 2019 6:14 pm
keh723 wrote:
Wed Mar 20, 2019 3:06 pm
Tears of joy!!! My sister and I have received the letter approving our application!!! So happy right now!! Quite surprised with how quickly it seemed to go.

Eligibility criteria: UKM ( By descent )
: American
Applying from: US
Method of application: Paperform
Date sent to UKVI - 1/24 USPS Priority Intl
According to parcel tracking, UKVI in Liverpool received my Form & Docs - Feb 1
Payment method: Debit Card
Date of fee debit: Feb 11
Email with case number : Feb 12
Date of acknowledgement by letter : Feb 12
Date of email requesting biometrics: Feb 11
Date of email confirming biometrics appt: Feb 18
Biometrics appointment scheduled for: Feb 27
Biometrics done: Feb 27
Date of approval: March 12, 2019 (received 19th)
Date of ceremony:
Date applied for passports:
Congrats! You applied a month after me and already got approval, that is fast! Maybe the paper applications are being processed faster.
Hopefully, you’ll get your approval by month’s end. It wasn’t even two weeks from my biometrics appointment to the date on my approval letter. 29 days from acknowledgement email to approval! Now, praying it isn’t 3 months until our ceremony gets scheduled.

bletchlypark
United States of America

Post by bletchlypark » Wed Mar 20, 2019 8:21 pm

keh723 wrote:
Wed Mar 20, 2019 6:52 pm

Hopefully, you’ll get your approval by month’s end. It wasn’t even two weeks from my biometrics appointment to the date on my approval letter. 29 days from acknowledgement email to approval! Now, praying it isn’t 3 months until our ceremony gets scheduled.
I'm not worried, mine with come soon. My anxiety is way down now that my biometrics are done and I know the process is moving along.

Where were you planning on having the ceremony? I think a lot of it depends on how often they do it at your location.

keh723
United States of America

Post by keh723 » Wed Mar 20, 2019 8:59 pm

I'm not worried, mine with come soon. My anxiety is way down now that my biometrics are done and I know the process is moving along.

Where were you planning on having the ceremony? I think a lot of it depends on how often they do it at your location.
I’m hoping for Atlanta. My sister is in Philadelphia. We would like to do it together, so either Atlanta or Philadelphia, but Atlanta is the preference. Not sure how often they have the ceremonies.

bletchlypark
United States of America

Post by bletchlypark » Wed Mar 20, 2019 9:38 pm

keh723 wrote:
Wed Mar 20, 2019 8:59 pm

I’m hoping for Atlanta. My sister is in Philadelphia. We would like to do it together, so either Atlanta or Philadelphia, but Atlanta is the preference. Not sure how often they have the ceremonies.
I am doing Atlanta, so maybe we will be at the ceremony together :D

keh723
United States of America

Post by keh723 » Thu Mar 21, 2019 1:52 am

sunburn wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2019 1:29 am
Eligibility criteria: UKM (Mother born in UK, not Romein route)
Nationality: United States
Applying from: United States
Method of application: Online
Date of application: Sept 6, 2018
Payment method: Credit card
Date of receipt by UKVI: Sept 6, 2018 (online)
Date money gone off account: Sept 6, 2018 (online)
Date of UKVI acknowledgement email: Sept 7, 2018
Date of emailed letter requesting biometrics: Nov 19 2018
Biometrics date: Dec 3 2018
Date of approval: Dec 18 2018
Date of ceremony: Feb 26 2019
Date applied for passports: Feb 28 2019
Date documents received by HMPO: Mar 11 2019
Date passport marked dispatched: Mar 14 2019
Date passports received: PENDING
Date supporting documents received: PENDING
Where did you end up having your ceremony? I see at one point you mentioned maybe Atlanta. Curious if that is where you ended up having it. I live in Atlanta, so that’s where I would have mine. That’s my next step. Just waiting now on that invitation.

sunburn
United States of America

Post by sunburn » Thu Mar 21, 2019 7:40 am

keh723 wrote:
Thu Mar 21, 2019 1:52 am
Where did you end up having your ceremony? I see at one point you mentioned maybe Atlanta. Curious if that is where you ended up having it. I live in Atlanta, so that’s where I would have mine. That’s my next step. Just waiting now on that invitation.
I've never been anywhere near Atlanta ever :)

I picked San Francisco in my original application online and that's where I went.

keh723
United States of America

Post by keh723 » Thu Mar 21, 2019 11:03 am

sunburn wrote:
Thu Mar 21, 2019 7:40 am
keh723 wrote:
Thu Mar 21, 2019 1:52 am
I've never been anywhere near Atlanta ever :)

I picked San Francisco in my original application online and that's where I went.
:? You must’ve been replying to someone and it was part of the quote or something and I just confused it. Sorry about that. Now I’ll have to go back and find it again. But, you really should visit Atlanta.

rhino57
Newly Registered

Post by rhino57 » Thu Mar 21, 2019 10:14 pm

For those who have been successful and have their certificate of British citizenship - if you have an opinion about Brexit, there is a petition circulating online. They asked if I was a British citizen and allowed me to participate, even with me currently living in the US. It was pretty cool. I am not trying to initiate any political interplay here - only offering an opportunity to new UK citizens. I really appreciated being able to have even a tiny say. Hope providing a link to the petition isn't against any policy.
https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/241584

jellybean19

Post by jellybean19 » Fri Mar 22, 2019 1:30 pm

rhino57 wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2019 1:19 am
luthersnowak wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2019 8:53 pm
rhino57 wrote:
Sat Mar 09, 2019 5:10 pm
CONGRATULATIONS!! Isn't it the coolest thing ever to hold it in your hand?? Was so happy to receive mine! Cheers to your efforts and your success!
Thank you!! It is strangely empowering. It's ridiculously satisfying to have completed this process.
I totally agree. I still look at my passport in wonder. You, Sunburn and I were all on the same timeline so I am really enjoying the success of all of us. I am watching the Brexit votes with a very different eye than I might have otherwise.
Dec 28th to March 7th was the longest period of my life ever. Just ordered an outfit for my British by descent ceremony, which is on 17th April in Chelmsford. Just thinking about it makes me emotional. Can't apply for 1st British passport until mid May as I need current passport again to travel on before I apply. Hubby says to wait for the new Blue passport in October ( thanks to Brexit grr) however I'd love a Burgundy one that I've dreamt of so will apply in May. Just got back from Prague and was grinning from ear to ear when going through immigration with my landing card, he asked why I looked so happy so I said not many more of these landing cards to fill in now as I've my ceremony next month. He gave me a massive smile and said enjoy your special day. I think I will cry though ceremony and snob my heart out when I finally get my passport lol.

rhino57
Newly Registered

Post by rhino57 » Fri Mar 22, 2019 1:56 pm

jellybean19 wrote:
Fri Mar 22, 2019 1:30 pm
rhino57 wrote:
luthersnowak wrote:
rhino57 wrote:
CONGRATULATIONS!! Isn't it the coolest thing ever to hold it in your hand?? Was so happy to receive mine! Cheers to your efforts and your success!
Thank you!! It is strangely empowering. It's ridiculously satisfying to have completed this process.
I totally agree. I still look at my passport in wonder. You, Sunburn and I were all on the same timeline so I am really enjoying the success of all of us. I am watching the Brexit votes with a very different eye than I might have otherwise.
Dec 28th to March 7th was the longest period of my life ever. Just ordered an outfit for my British by descent ceremony, which is on 17th April in Chelmsford. Just thinking about it makes me emotional. Can't apply for 1st British passport until mid May as I need current passport again to travel on before I apply. Hubby says to wait for the new Blue passport in October ( thanks to Brexit grr) however I'd love a Burgundy one that I've dreamt of so will apply in May. Just got back from Prague and was grinning from ear to ear when going through immigration with my landing card, he asked why I looked so happy so I said not many more of these landing cards to fill in now as I've my ceremony next month. He gave me a massive smile and said enjoy your special day. I think I will cry though ceremony and snob my heart out when I finally get my passport lol.
Congratulations!! It is such an amazing feeling! And I agree, waiting until October would be impossible!! Enjoy your ceremony - there were definitely tears at mine. :)

keh723
United States of America

Post by keh723 » Fri Mar 22, 2019 3:04 pm

jellybean19 wrote:
rhino57 wrote:
luthersnowak wrote:
rhino57 wrote:
Congratulations! I understand how you feel. My sister and I were both crying over the phone as we received our approval letters this week. The feeling was a bit overwhelming. I assume the ceremony will be even more so. We are hoping to arrange to have our ceremony together. What a special day that will be!

rhino57
Newly Registered

Post by rhino57 » Fri Mar 22, 2019 3:41 pm

keh723 wrote:
Fri Mar 22, 2019 3:04 pm
jellybean19 wrote:
rhino57 wrote:
luthersnowak wrote:

Congratulations! I understand how you feel. My sister and I were both crying over the phone as we received our approval letters this week. The feeling was a bit overwhelming. I assume the ceremony will be even more so. We are hoping to arrange to have our ceremony together. What a special day that will be!
I had my ceremony in San Francisco (a short 2 hours from where I live). There were two women attending the ceremony, identical twins in their 60s who had traveled from North Dakota together to swear in as UK citizens. It was sweet and emotional to watch them. I definitely think you should do your ceremony with your sister - it will be amazing!

Conky2a
Mood:

Post by Conky2a » Fri Mar 22, 2019 6:23 pm

Eligibility criteria :UKM (US born to UK mother)
Nationality: US states
Applying from :France
Method of application : paper via solicitors
Payment method: cheque
Date of application : 4th feb 2019
Date received : 7th feb 2919
Date of acknowledgement email : 28th feb 2019
Date of email requesting biometrics : 4th march 2019
Email request for biometric appointment: 5th march 2019
Autoresponse ‘we are very busy’: 5th March 2019
Biometrics done : 22nd March 2019

My wife’s advice is just choose the three earliest dates possible, and if no reply just go in.
No questions are asked. You just get it done....

keh723
United States of America

Post by keh723 » Fri Mar 22, 2019 11:27 pm

Conky2a wrote:
Fri Mar 22, 2019 6:23 pm

My wife’s advice is just choose the three earliest dates possible, and if no reply just go in.
Was this in France? I’m pretty sure that wouldn’t work here in the US. I know not in Atlanta. They won’t even let you in the door without an appointment.

Conky2a
Mood:

Post by Conky2a » Sat Mar 23, 2019 10:41 am

keh723 wrote:
Fri Mar 22, 2019 11:27 pm
Conky2a wrote:
Fri Mar 22, 2019 6:23 pm

Was this in France? I’m pretty sure that wouldn’t work here in the US. I know not in Atlanta. They won’t even let you in the door without an appointment.
Yes, she had to go to Paris.

Below is the text of the auto-response we got.....

Dear Customer,

Thank you for your appointment request.

Please be informed that we are currently experiencing a peak in the Overseas Citizenship Biometrics Enrolment appointment demand.

Response time is expected to be slightly longer from ocbeappointments@tlscontact.com.

If your deadline for biometric enrolment is approaching, please go to our nearest UK Visa Application Centre with the letter you received from the Home Office.

Please make sure to attend the Visa Application Centre only between 10:00 and 12:00 during opening days.

For further information about the Opening Hours and detailed Address of your chosen location, please visit the Address section on https://uk.tlscontact.com/

Best Regards,
TLScontact OCBE Team

bletchlypark
United States of America

Post by bletchlypark » Fri Apr 05, 2019 3:31 pm

Approved!

Received notification that my application was approved this morning via email. I was also asked to schedule courier pickup of my documents, which is what I requested.

Eligibility Criteria: UKM
Applying from: Unites States
Method of application: Online with documents sent via DHL
Date of application: Dec 17, 2018
Date documents sent: Dec 19, 2018
Date of UKVI acknowledgement email: Dec 18, 2018
Date of receipt by UKVI: Dec 21, 2018
Date funds withdrawn: Dec 18, 2018
Date of e-mail requesting biometrics: Mar 1, 2019
Bio-metrics done: Mar 18, 2019
Date of approval: Apr 5, 2019
Date of ceremony: PENDING
Date applied for passport: PENDING

luthersnowak
United States of America

Post by luthersnowak » Fri Apr 05, 2019 4:23 pm

bletchlypark wrote:
Fri Apr 05, 2019 3:31 pm
Approved!

Received notification that my application was approved this morning via email. I was also asked to schedule courier pickup of my documents, which is what I requested.

Congrats!!

Conky2a
Mood:

Post by Conky2a » Fri Apr 05, 2019 5:33 pm

Well done Bletch! Bang on time according to my calculations.

Hopefully my wife’s solicitor should receive her written approval next week. Fingers crossed.

jellybean19

Post by jellybean19 » Sat Apr 06, 2019 12:47 pm

luthersnowak wrote:
Fri Apr 05, 2019 4:23 pm
bletchlypark wrote:
Approved!

Congrats!!
Bletchlpark, Congratulations on your approval. I know your in the states and I'm in UK, but I was feeling pretty bad that you'd applied a little before me and I was approved March 1st. I know everyone's case is different though. Good feeling huh ? I kept having to read my letter of approval over and over again. I have my ceremony a week on Wednesday and time is going slow for it, lol. I won't apply for my passport though until May time as I've holiday coming up at the beginning of May. Plus, with all this stupid Brexit stuff going on here, I'm wondering if I should wait til we know if we are out of EU or staying put. But I really want one Burgundy one passport as USA is blue one. I heard today that we now have ones being given to people without EU on the front, though we have actually left the EU on day they first said. So,I will have everything ready to send off when I get back from holiday and see what the situation is then I suppose. Can see how they are sending out passport without EU on them when we are still in ? Might give passport office a ring and see what they suggest. Anyway, I'm still following this thread and wish you a date for your ceremony soon xx Welcome o the approved club :)

sunburn
United States of America

Post by sunburn » Sat Apr 06, 2019 5:06 pm

So it looks like every applicant lately has been getting done in the 3-4 month timeline I previously asserted. The luthernowak experience of 6 months to approval was an exceptional one, as an early Romein applicant .

Abiruca
Newly Registered
United States of America

Post by Abiruca » Sat Apr 06, 2019 11:11 pm

jellybean19 wrote:
rhino57 wrote:
luthersnowak wrote:
rhino57 wrote:
Congrats, Jellybean! When I did my ceremony in New York, I warned the person doing my ceremony that I might get choked up, and sure enough, I got all wobbly saying the Queen's name! I was soooo embarrassed, though she just smiled & patted my hand (it was a one person ceremony).

keh723
United States of America

Post by keh723 » Mon Apr 08, 2019 2:49 pm

bletchlypark wrote:
Approved!

Yay!! Congratulations!! Now we are back in the same place, waiting for ceremony invite. We may actually get to have it together in Atlanta! 🇬🇧🇺🇸

luthersnowak
United States of America

Post by luthersnowak » Mon Apr 08, 2019 3:59 pm

sunburn wrote:
Sat Apr 06, 2019 5:06 pm
So it looks like every applicant lately has been getting done in the 3-4 month timeline I previously asserted. The luthernowak experience of 6 months to approval was an exceptional one, as an early Romein applicant .
I agree. Aside from being based on the Romein decision, my case wasn't particularly outstanding in any way. I had all of my documentation and there is nothing in my background except a speeding ticket about 15 years ago. Other Romein applicants seemed to have had their cases decided a bit quicker. Either way, I'm glad to see people are experiencing shorter timelines. I know I was on edge waiting to hear anything.

bletchlypark
United States of America

Post by bletchlypark » Mon Apr 08, 2019 8:15 pm

keh723 wrote:
Mon Apr 08, 2019 2:49 pm

Yay!! Congratulations!! Now we are back in the same place, waiting for ceremony invite. We may actually get to have it together in Atlanta! 🇬🇧🇺🇸
Did you hear anything back about scheduling the ceremony? I have to go there on business later this month anyway.