ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Can I Go to Gibraltar to Get Married if I've Been Refused Entry from the UK?

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

bshansraj
Newly Registered
Canada

Can I Go to Gibraltar to Get Married if I've Been Refused Entry from the UK?

Post by bshansraj » Fri Apr 12, 2019 6:18 pm

Hi there,

I've been in a sticky situation lately, as I was refused entry from the UK when I tried to visit back in January. The officer didn't think I was going to come back home to Canada because I had only recently returned home in November.

My partner is a UK citizen, and we'd like to apply for a spouse visa but we need to get married first. He's already been to Canada twice to visit me and he's horrible about flying so I'd like to find somewhere suitable for him. I've read that Gibraltar, Florida, Hawaii and St Lucia offer easy weddings with short notice period but most of those locations are really far/expensive for him.

So, we'd love to travel to Gibraltar to get married. However, I'm worried that I won't be able to get in because of my UK refusal. We'd also like to honeymoon in Rome but I'm not sure if that's possible either. I've looked up visitor visas but I can't find anything about Canadians having to apply for a visitor visa.

Could anyone here help me out?

Thanks!

Casa

Re: Can I Go to Gibraltar to Get Married if I've Been Refused Entry from the UK?

Post by Casa » Fri Apr 12, 2019 7:10 pm

bshansraj wrote:
Fri Apr 12, 2019 6:18 pm
Hi there,

I've been in a sticky situation lately, as I was refused entry from the UK when I tried to visit back in January. The officer didn't think I was going to come back home to Canada because I had only recently returned home in November.

My partner is a UK citizen, and we'd like to apply for a spouse visa but we need to get married first. He's already been to Canada twice to visit me and he's horrible about flying so I'd like to find somewhere suitable for him. I've read that Gibraltar, Florida, Hawaii and St Lucia offer easy weddings with short notice period but most of those locations are really far/expensive for him.

So, we'd love to travel to Gibraltar to get married. However, I'm worried that I won't be able to get in because of my UK refusal. We'd also like to honeymoon in Rome but I'm not sure if that's possible either. I've looked up visitor visas but I can't find anything about Canadians having to apply for a visitor visa.

Could anyone here help me out?

Thanks!
In a previous thread in 2018 you wrote:
"My spouse visa is just about up, and my partner and I have had quite a tumultuous time over the past year of our marriage"

Who are you intending to marry in Gibraltar :?:

general-uk-immigration-forum/end-of-spo ... l#p1632611
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

bshansraj
Newly Registered
Canada

Re: Can I Go to Gibraltar to Get Married if I've Been Refused Entry from the UK?

Post by bshansraj » Fri Apr 12, 2019 7:48 pm

My new partner. Shortly after my marriage broke down, we started seeing each other. We've been in a long distance relationship for the past 6 months while I've been home in Canada. It's been almost a year of being together, and we'd like to be able to actually see each other, but I don't know of any other way for us to be together in the same country without getting married.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Fri Apr 12, 2019 8:14 pm

If you are divorced from your previous partner, you could apply for the 6 months Fiance visa, costs £1523 and get married within the UK within the 6 months and then switch to a spouse visa in the UK on form FLR(M).
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

bshansraj
Newly Registered
Canada

Post by bshansraj » Wed May 08, 2019 11:06 pm

We looked into that, but I can't work on that visa :( Is it unlikely that I'd be allowed into Gibraltar to get married? We'd likely have to find somewhere else?