ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Foreign Birth Registration

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

joeyf
Newly Registered
Mood:

Re: Foreign Birth Registration

Post by joeyf » Wed Apr 10, 2019 11:28 am

I call them every other day...

I posted in further requested documentation requested just last Fri they must all talk about me down the pub

Sulla
Member of Standing
Portugal

Post by Sulla » Wed Apr 10, 2019 12:53 pm

Jaxx

The computer clock thing just beggars belief. It's one of those things that is just so stupid that you would never believe it could be true. I changed the clock as a last resort because I could never get the webchat to work. I felt a slight thrill when it actually began to function and I made it into the queue. The DFA then lived down to all expectations, as when I finally made it to the end of a long wait, I was then told that they no longer handle FBR queries via webchat and that I should call. Michael had a similar experience around the same time.

Michael

LesMalouinettes is quite correct: 13 months is shocking. At the risk of being criticized for saying so, I think you ought to make an official written complaint. Blaming Brexit at this stage in the game just doesn't cut it anymore. I strongly feel that a targeted complaint, which contains specific information about the timelines of other applications (yes I'm thinking mine) and juxtaposes this against your own treatment, would make them uncomfortable and be hard to explain away. What happened between August 14th and August 21st that shifted things from a 3.5 month time-frame for FBR addition to a 13 month one? Sure, I had to wait another 4 months on printing and postage, which in itself is shameful, but Michael is still in the queue for examination of documents right now. Truly appallingly managed, not to mention deeply unfair.

joeyf
Newly Registered
Mood:

Post by joeyf » Wed Apr 10, 2019 1:26 pm

Everytime I've called they just advise "upto 12 months" at the moment, it's a case of how long is a piece of string, my fault is my mother decided to get lost for 3 months so I couldn't have her passport copy certified...

I'm in same boat just waiting on feedback and responses... let's all just just cross our fingers, pray etc?

Michael123
Member of Standing
United States of America

Post by Michael123 » Wed Apr 10, 2019 6:26 pm

Sulla wrote:
Wed Apr 10, 2019 12:53 pm
Jaxx

The computer clock thing just beggars belief. It's one of those things that is just so stupid that you would never believe it could be true. I changed the clock as a last resort because I could never get the webchat to work. I felt a slight thrill when it actually began to function and I made it into the queue. The DFA then lived down to all expectations, as when I finally made it to the end of a long wait, I was then told that they no longer handle FBR queries via webchat and that I should call. Michael had a similar experience around the same time.

Michael

LesMalouinettes is quite correct: 13 months is shocking. At the risk of being criticized for saying so, I think you ought to make an official written complaint. Blaming Brexit at this stage in the game just doesn't cut it anymore. I strongly feel that a targeted complaint, which contains specific information about the timelines of other applications (yes I'm thinking mine) and juxtaposes this against your own treatment, would make them uncomfortable and be hard to explain away. What happened between August 14th and August 21st that shifted things from a 3.5 month time-frame for FBR addition to a 13 month one? Sure, I had to wait another 4 months on printing and postage, which in itself is shameful, but Michael is still in the queue for examination of documents right now. Truly appallingly managed, not to mention deeply unfair.
Who would I write to? Did you ever get an answer to your complaint?

Sulla
Member of Standing
Portugal

Post by Sulla » Thu Apr 11, 2019 1:03 am

Michael

You can use this form to indicate that you want to complain. There is the usual 250 character limit. Just briefly state that you want to make a complaint about the FBR section and that it does not relate to an appeal of a decision. Someone replied to me very quickly and asked for the full complaint via E-mail.

https://www.dfa.ie/about-us/our-commitments/contact-us/

Your complaint will have to be very specific and indicate the unfairness of the situation. I suggest following this link and looking for provisions in the Irish civil service code of conduct. I have not done this myself, but it is hard to imagine that there are not articles in there that deal with discrimination and equal treatment. Allege that they breached the aforementioned provision and request a compensatory settlement.

https://www.sipo.ie/en/Codes-of-Conduct/Civil-Servants/

No junior official will want to take the reins on anything that looks like it might end in court. They will kick it upwards instantly, which means you will actually receive a response.

Yes, I received a reply from the director of compliance who attached a statement from the head of the FBR section. I already posted about that in the old thread. They did not attempt to deny any of the claims I made regarding improper handling of incomplete applications. They simply gave me an apology (without admitting wrongdoing), my application timeline, told me my certificate was on the way and referred to the complexity of the process. My complaint was filed on March 7th and my certificate was printed on March 8th. That could be purely coincidental.

If it is easy, many large organisations deal with complaints that may result in litigation in this manner. In this instance, I was annoyed because I did not have the FBR certificate. All they had to do was tell me that it was printed and on the way to appease me. Almost all complainants will take no further action once the source of complaint has been resolved. The response I got was pretty much what I expected. They could not admit they processed incomplete applications wrongly. Even addressing the issue at all in a response would be a minefield, with every word being checked by the legal division. If they admitted that they dropped the ball on the incomplete applications and it led to delays, then the DFA would have to compensate not only me, but everyone else affected too. Irish law works on the basis of test cases not class actions. Losing would be disastrous and not worth the risk - since the cost of avoiding that risk was essentially zero.

Jaxx22
Finland

Post by Jaxx22 » Thu Apr 11, 2019 7:42 am

Micheal, I think that is disgraceful. The website still states 6 months but complex applications may take up to a year but they are saying that your application will be in excess of that.

I think you are well within your rights to keep on at them. I am guessing that your application should be relatively straight forward (I am still struggling with what they mean by complex applications anyway) to use Brexit as an excuse/a reason now is not really acceptable, the referendum was nearly 3 years ago now so something that should have been accounted for and by now that shouldn't really be much of an issue even with additional applications, yes perhaps meaning that the process will take a little longer but it shouldn't really add on months.

I sent a message to the embassy just asking for confirmation of receipt and if it has been sent on, it is very difficult to write something when you have a limit of 250 characters, so I await their response. I don't think there is much point in asking the DFA until it is at the 6 month mark but I don't think I am being unreasonable asking the embassy to confirm

joeyf
Newly Registered
Mood:

Post by joeyf » Thu Apr 11, 2019 7:23 pm

Personally I've had a good experiance with the FBR,

+35316711633

After the long hold I tend to get updates when requested and they do keep their admin in order and tend to give timely advice and updates to emails, only human after all...

Although personally I'm sure people would happily pay a premium to really get these things SPED UP!

Laurie9434

Post by Laurie9434 » Thu Apr 11, 2019 8:13 pm

Michael123 wrote:
Wed Apr 10, 2019 12:37 am
I might call them again tomorrow and the next and continue until my application is expedited. 🤣

Michael, that is an awesome idea! We should all do it. Although, I fear that would only bog them down even more. I can’t believe they told you September. Totally frustrating and ridiculous!

Michael123
Member of Standing
United States of America

Post by Michael123 » Thu Apr 11, 2019 8:18 pm

Laurie,

I am only a week behind you!!

LesMalouinettes
Mood:
France

Post by LesMalouinettes » Thu Apr 11, 2019 8:47 pm

joeyf wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2019 7:23 pm
Although personally I'm sure people would happily pay a premium to really get these things SPED UP!
I would pay double again to have them process mine in the next couple of months. Everything about my life here in Australia is wrapping up at a rate of knots, and I need to be able to work in the EU. If it takes as long as Michael's, I don't know what I'll do! :cry:

Jaxx22
Finland

Post by Jaxx22 » Fri Apr 12, 2019 5:55 am

I too would be happy to pay a bit more to speed up the process. I will be moving in about 2 months (tbc) so really would like to have it before then cause I know the change of address is going to cause problems.

Fedupwaiting
Newly Registered
Ireland

Post by Fedupwaiting » Fri Apr 12, 2019 7:46 pm

Hi,
I am new. Only just found this forum.
I applied through FBR in August. Got an email on 25th of August saying they had received my application. I live in Ireland, wasn't born here though. Every day I am waiting for a letter or an email. It's the not knowing what stage I am at that's killing me. Last month they told me it was line to be reviewed.
A track on this would be so handy like they have on the passports. At least then you'd know what stage you are at.
Seven nearly 8 months is a long time to hold someone's official documents.

spav01
Newly Registered
United States of America

Post by spav01 » Fri Apr 12, 2019 7:52 pm

I've been lurking here since getting my FBR, and just wanted to let everyone know my passport arrived today from the Consulate in New York. SO here is my final timeline:

FBR application acknowledged: 8/3/18
FBR email: 12/11/18
Certificate received: 12/26/18
Passport application received in New York Consulate: 1/14/19
Received in Dublin per tracking system: 2/18/19
Printed: 4/4/19
Dispatched: 4/5/19
Received from New York Consulate per Fedex: 4/12/19

I am sorry to all who have been waiting so long, like Michael123. I hope it all resolves soon.

Sulla
Member of Standing
Portugal

Post by Sulla » Sat Apr 13, 2019 12:33 pm

spav01 wrote:
Fri Apr 12, 2019 7:52 pm
Passport application received in New York Consulate: 1/14/19
Received in Dublin per tracking system: 2/18/19
Spav

Just to clarify: are you saying that your passport application did not appear on the tracking system until one month after you submitted it? That's strange because I also submitted via an embassy and my application was in the system on the same day. I am being told 6 weeks estimated wait time from submission. What estimated wait time were you told by the NY consulate or given online through the tracking system?

Thanks.

Laurie9434

Post by Laurie9434 » Sat Apr 13, 2019 8:39 pm

Michael123 wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2019 8:18 pm
Laurie,

I am only a week behind you!!
I know! So frustrating! I actually had an agency file the application for me. Apparently, that does not expedite
things! They don’t have any additional information, either. 😂🤦‍♀️

joeyf
Newly Registered
Mood:

Post by joeyf » Sat Apr 13, 2019 8:57 pm

Why would you have an agency file it in the first place, I found filling in the info and sending off was easy as pie

Sulla
Member of Standing
Portugal

Post by Sulla » Sat Apr 13, 2019 11:39 pm

Joey

I used an agency to gather up the certificates necessary from the UK and Ireland. Since I was in Asia, it was far easier than doing it myself or imposing on relatives. So there's that - the convenience factor.

Secondly, I think for many people there is a peace of mind element too. The agency is there to answer all the questions you may have about certificates, inconsistencies etc. Getting answers from the DFA is not easy after all. Many people want to ensure their application and document set are picture perfect before submission, so as to avoid delays. There is a really good US based agency, operating out of Chicago, that deals with Italian and Irish citizenship by descent applications. They claim a 100% success rate with FBR. I can see why some people find that appealing.

LesMalouinettes
Mood:
France

Post by LesMalouinettes » Sun Apr 14, 2019 12:32 am

Sulla wrote:
Sat Apr 13, 2019 11:39 pm
Joey
There is a really good US based agency, operating out of Chicago, that deals with Italian and Irish citizenship by descent applications. They claim a 100% success rate with FBR. I can see why some people find that appealing.
I certainly would, because as it stands, I'm 6.5 months in and don't know if my application was correct. I checked it several times against the criteria, but without any word from the DFA, I just have to hope that when they finally bother to look at it, it's been done correctly :(

Michael123
Member of Standing
United States of America

Post by Michael123 » Mon Apr 15, 2019 7:29 am

Attachments
DE7C91BE-F66C-4A97-91E8-9491374D4E19.jpeg
DE7C91BE-F66C-4A97-91E8-9491374D4E19.jpeg (422.51 KiB) Viewed 2627 times

Jaxx22
Finland

Post by Jaxx22 » Mon Apr 15, 2019 8:26 am

:lol: :lol: That is comical Micheal!
LesMalouinettes wrote:
Sun Apr 14, 2019 12:32 am

I certainly would, because as it stands, I'm 6.5 months in and don't know if my application was correct. I checked it several times against the criteria, but without any word from the DFA, I just have to hope that when they finally bother to look at it, it's been done correctly :(
I agree, it is the not knowing, I am confident that I filled it all out correctly and I sent everything that they asked for on the application form and added in documents that were additionally listed on the embassy website, even though they weren't on the application form as required documents - logically there isn't anything else needed but who knows, from what I am reading logic doesn't always come into it and to ask months later really I don't think is acceptable.

I do still think there should be a way of tracking where your application is in the system, with technology today I think it is daft that there isn't a way to do this. Even if it sits on 'processing' for ages if you can see that documents have been received as an example it would give people some sense of confidence.

I am still waiting for a reply from the embassy confirming receipt and where it is.

mayorob
Newly Registered

Post by mayorob » Mon Apr 15, 2019 11:08 am

On Friday it will be 1 month since getting the delivery email for me.

I'm already checking this forum most days and still such a long way to go! :lol:

Hol292
Newly Registered

Post by Hol292 » Mon Apr 15, 2019 11:21 am

I’m currently at 8 months since my documents were signed for at the London embassy.

Are we now thinking it’s about 12 months for the process? I’ve tried calling and no one can tell me anything.

Court2

Post by Court2 » Mon Apr 15, 2019 4:06 pm

Hol292 wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 11:21 am
I’m currently at 8 months since my documents were signed for at the London embassy.

Are we now thinking it’s about 12 months for the process? I’ve tried calling and no one can tell me anything.
I'm at 7.5 months, applied start of September 2018 via London.

Not holding out any hope any longer, it will come when it comes.

Question for anyone that applied via London and received their certificate in the last 6 months: was your certificate and returned certificates sent back to you An Post recorded delivery? Or just standard postage?

spav01
Newly Registered
United States of America

Post by spav01 » Mon Apr 15, 2019 5:48 pm

Sulla,

I did not see anything in the tracking system for quite a while because I did not look. When I did look in early March, which is when I expected to get the passport, I saw that it was listed as having been received February 18. But it was received at the New York Consulate in January, with verification from Fedex.
My estimated completion date was March 27. It was actually printed 4/4 and dispatched the following day.

Michael123
Member of Standing
United States of America

Post by Michael123 » Mon Apr 15, 2019 5:53 pm

What was the last FBR completion time for a USA applicant? The DFA told me 13 months. I will be at the 8th month this Sunday.