ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Citizenship refused with EU Settled Status

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

Nikmishin
Newly Registered
Mood:
Moldova

Post by Nikmishin » Mon Apr 15, 2019 6:26 pm

Did either of you ever find out how to prove EU settlement status? I submitted my application without attaching the EU Settled Status outcome pdf as I didn't think it was a proper document in the good faith that the case worker would check my status. I applied on January 24th and sadly today on April 15th I got a rejection letter saying I don't have a Permanent Residence card. It also says that any fresh application should be submitted with a document certifying Permanent Residence or Indefinite Leave to Remain under the EU settlement scheme. I am incredibly frustrated because there is no such document for the EU settlement scheme. The application form simply asked if I had an ILR and I said yes, and it then asked for the date I got it so I put that in the field. There was no other way to indicate that this ILR is the EU settlement scheme one so not sure what they expected of me:(

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: Citizenship refused with EU Settled Status

Post by CR001 » Mon Apr 15, 2019 6:35 pm

submitted my application without attaching the EU Settled Status outcome pdf as I didn't think it was a proper document in the good faith that the case worker would check my status.
You should have included this. A mandatory document you have to submit is to prove you have PR/ILR/Settled status. It is not for HO to run around to check your status.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

peter88
Newly Registered

Post by peter88 » Mon Apr 15, 2019 7:43 pm

Nikmishin wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 6:26 pm
Did either of you ever find out how to prove EU settlement status? I submitted my application without attaching the EU Settled Status outcome pdf as I didn't think it was a proper document in the good faith that the case worker would check my status. I applied on January 24th and sadly today on April 15th I got a rejection letter saying I don't have a Permanent Residence card. It also says that any fresh application should be submitted with a document certifying Permanent Residence or Indefinite Leave to Remain under the EU settlement scheme. I am incredibly frustrated because there is no such document for the EU settlement scheme. The application form simply asked if I had an ILR and I said yes, and it then asked for the date I got it so I put that in the field. There was no other way to indicate that this ILR is the EU settlement scheme one so not sure what they expected of me:(
You cannot apply using EU settlement scheme. Nobody can. Since this scheme launched in march and requires 12 months after being granted - the earliest anyone will be able to apply using it is march 2020.

You have ILR/PR under EEA treaty rights, yes, however - new rules require you to have the actual PR card.

You can still apply for a PR card under EEA rules. Get that. They are backdated to when you acquired PR, not when the document was granted - and once you hve it, provided the date you acquired it is 12 months before your new application - it’s going to be approved.

Hope this helps

Nikmishin
Newly Registered
Mood:
Moldova

Post by Nikmishin » Mon Apr 15, 2019 7:55 pm

Hi guys,

Hope you can help. I applied for BC via the "EU Settled Status and married to a British citizen" route. I received my EU Settled status on January 24th 2019 and submitted my BC application the same evening. Today, April 15th 2019, I received a rejection letter. The reason is I hold a Residence Document (which I did not submit so the caseworker must have looked this up) and not Permanent Residence. No reference to the EU settlement scheme yet. The letter goes on to say I must make a fresh application and include a document certifying Permanent Residence of Indefinite Leave to Remain under the EU settlement scheme. Now then, I did not submit anything for my EU settled status as the letter of outcome said it wasn't evidence of my status. I think there are a lot of people asking what evidence of EU settled status they should submit but there is no clear answer to that.

In the BC application form I just said yes to the question about holding ILR and gave January 24th 2019 as the date I got the ILR. I submitted my application assuming the caseworker would check my status by default as it's a pretty obvious thing to do for an EU applicant.

I'm considering to submit the NR reconsideration form. Can somebody please let me know if they applied for BC with EU settled status and if they included any document at all as evidence? Should I submit the print out from https://view-and-prove-your-rights.home ... ment/start or the outcome letter. Am I even allowed to supply additional evidence? So confused and frustrated.

Thank you in advance

Nikmishin
Newly Registered
Mood:
Moldova

Post by Nikmishin » Mon Apr 15, 2019 8:00 pm

Sorry, I forgot to mention I'm married to a British Citizen, so didn't have to wait 12 months. Where did you get the information that nobody can use EU settled scheme to apply for BC? My EU settled status outcome letter referred me to https://www.gov.uk/british-citizenship which explicitly said I could use my EU settled status to apply..

Nikmishin
Newly Registered
Mood:
Moldova

Post by Nikmishin » Mon Apr 15, 2019 8:02 pm

peter88 wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 7:43 pm
Nikmishin wrote:
You cannot apply using EU settlement scheme. Nobody can. Since this scheme launched in march and requires 12 months after being granted - the earliest anyone will be able to apply using it is march 2020.

You have ILR/PR under EEA treaty rights, yes, however - new rules require you to have the actual PR card.

You can still apply for a PR card under EEA rules. Get that. They are backdated to when you acquired PR, not when the document was granted - and once you hve it, provided the date you acquired it is 12 months before your new application - it’s going to be approved.

Hope this helps
Sorry, I forgot to mention I'm married to a British Citizen, so didn't have to wait 12 months. Where did you get the information that nobody can use EU settled scheme to apply for BC? My EU settled status outcome letter referred me to https://www.gov.uk/british-citizenship which explicitly said I could use my EU settled status to apply. Besides, the rejection letter itself says I must make a fresh application with evidence of PR or EU settled status.

Sorry for duplication of this post, I meant to reply to your post quoting it.

Alien2017

Re: Unsuccessful applications

Post by Alien2017 » Mon Apr 15, 2019 8:04 pm

You need to include your application number for settled status. That is your proof.

Alien2017

Post by Alien2017 » Mon Apr 15, 2019 8:06 pm

You have to use your application number from your settled status. That will be your proof.

Nikmishin
Newly Registered
Mood:
Moldova

Post by Nikmishin » Mon Apr 15, 2019 8:07 pm

CR001 wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 6:35 pm
submitted my application without attaching the EU Settled Status outcome pdf as I didn't think it was a proper document in the good faith that the case worker would check my status.
You should have included this. A mandatory document you have to submit is to prove you have PR/ILR/Settled status. It is not for HO to run around to check your status.
The outcome letter of EU settled status said the letter itself is not evidence. It provided this link view-and-prove-your-rights.homeoffice.gov.uk and said it must be used to check the status. So I'm not sure what the letter would've proven:(

Nikmishin
Newly Registered
Mood:
Moldova

Post by Nikmishin » Mon Apr 15, 2019 8:08 pm

Alien2017 wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 8:06 pm
You have to use your application number from your settled status. That will be your proof.
Ok, that makes sense. But were in the online form should I have put it? the form only asked if I had ILR (I said yes) and what date I got it. There wasn't a field to type in the application number.

Nikmishin
Newly Registered
Mood:
Moldova

Post by Nikmishin » Mon Apr 15, 2019 8:11 pm

Alien2017 wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 8:04 pm
You need to include your application number for settled status. That is your proof.
So should I include it in the Form NR, or because I should've included it in the original BC application my case is lost?

Alien2017

Post by Alien2017 » Mon Apr 15, 2019 8:22 pm

Nikmishin wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 8:11 pm
So should I include it in the Form NR, or because I should've included it in the original BC application my case is lost?
Not sure how this works now, I assume you will have to apply for reconsideration but more experienced members might advise.
Not sure on the form, maybe you just have select PR as they ask for the number if you select PR or just add the number somewhere, I don t think they have updated with the correct information for new scheme and is unfair. I am trying to find and post the link where I have seen that, can t remember now but I will post it when I'll find it. So sorry about what has happened to you, so unfair

alexbran89
Romania

Post by alexbran89 » Mon Apr 15, 2019 8:29 pm

Post by alexbran89 » Mon Apr 15, 2019 8:21 pm

Reading your post I kinda find myself in the same situation to be honest.
Applied for my settled status like you in January 22nd and got it granted the next day on 23rd, however I only received a pdf documents stating that I have settled status/ILR and there a ref number bottom right side of the document.
Lived and worked in UK since end of 2012 and never left for more then a week in each year for holiday for instance, but applied for my BC on Feb 24th as my wife is British so I didn’t had to wait one year, even one lady from HO confirmed that to me when I called them to ask for advice.
The way you applied it’s kinda the same thing I applied however I did scanned and attached the settler status letter with my other documents but I did not receive my approval or in this case my rejection yet.

alexbran89
Romania

Post by alexbran89 » Mon Apr 15, 2019 8:48 pm

That’s from the GOV website:

If you moved to the UK
You may be able to apply for citizenship by ‘naturalisation’, depending on your situation.

If you’re eligible in more than one way you can choose which way to apply.

You’re married to or in a civil partnership with a British citizen
To apply as the spouse or civil partner of a British citizen you must have lived in the UK for the last 3 years.

You’ll also need to have one of the following:

indefinite leave to remain
settled status under the EU Settlement Scheme
a permanent residence document to confirm you have permanent residence status
If you do, you’ll be eligible to apply for citizenship immediately.

Nikmishin
Newly Registered
Mood:
Moldova

Post by Nikmishin » Mon Apr 15, 2019 8:55 pm

alexbran89 wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 8:29 pm
Post by alexbran89 » Mon Apr 15, 2019 8:21 pm

Reading your post I kinda find myself in the same situation to be honest.
Applied for my settled status like you in January 22nd and got it granted the next day on 23rd, however I only received a pdf documents stating that I have settled status/ILR and there a ref number bottom right side of the document.
Lived and worked in UK since end of 2012 and never left for more then a week in each year for holiday for instance, but applied for my BC on Feb 24th as my wife is British so I didn’t had to wait one year, even one lady from HO confirmed that to me when I called them to ask for advice.
The way you applied it’s kinda the same thing I applied however I did scanned and attached the settler status letter with my other documents but I did not receive my approval or in this case my rejection yet.
Right guys, this is useful for everyone with EU Settled Status. I figured out where it all went wrong for me. In short the form is very badly worded at the following question:
Are you either:
-An EEA national who has been issued with a
permanent residence document
-A family member of an EEA national who has
been issued with a permanent residence card
Since I got an EU Settled Status and NOT a PR I said No to this question. The next question asked if I have been issued with an ILR, to which I said Yes, which is true as EU Settled status is a form of ILR. It then asked me for the date I got the ILR and I gave my EU Settled Status date. It does not ask for the application number anywhere.

But you must say Yes to the first question and pretend that you got a PR because the next two questions are:
What will you use to apply for British citizenship?

-Permanent residence card or document

-Indefinite leave to remain (ILR), including ILR granted under the EU Settlement Scheme
AND
Date your leave was granted (if known) (Required)
Enter date in the format DD MM YYYY
Needless to say I will be submitting my reconsideration application asap explaining to them that their form is terrible! I wouldn't be surprised if there are quite a few rejections caused by this.

Good luck!

alexbran89
Romania

Post by alexbran89 » Mon Apr 15, 2019 9:10 pm

I get your point, I have answered the same questions as you’ve mentioned but I called HO and asked for advice as I was confused with them questions myself and told them if I chose yet then the next thing will be to enter the ref Nr starting with UKF then numbers if I remember well and told them I don’t have that as I’ve been granted settled status under the new scheme and the ref number got only numbers.
They stated in this case I need to say no because I don’t have a pr card etc.

Not sure what to think because like I said I kinda see myself in your shoes now and in the end I might get the rejection letter as well so I will keep you posted.

Nikmishin
Newly Registered
Mood:
Moldova

Post by Nikmishin » Mon Apr 15, 2019 9:18 pm

alexbran89 wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 9:10 pm
I get your point, I have answered the same questions as you’ve mentioned but I called HO and asked for advice as I was confused with them questions myself and told them if I chose yet then the next thing will be to enter the ref Nr starting with UKF then numbers if I remember well and told them I don’t have that as I’ve been granted settled status under the new scheme and the ref number got only numbers.
They stated in this case I need to say no because I don’t have a pr card etc.

Not sure what to think because like I said I kinda see myself in your shoes now and in the end I might get the rejection letter as well so I will keep you posted.
And now this seems like a completely wrong advice from the HO to answer No to the PR question. What a bunch they are!
They may have slightly tweaked the form since you applied if yours asked for a UKF number. I really hope that your caseworker will use their brain and connect the EU Settled Status outcome letter with the answers on your form in the right way and actually check their own web service!

Nikmishin
Newly Registered
Mood:
Moldova

Post by Nikmishin » Mon Apr 15, 2019 9:28 pm

Nikmishin wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 8:07 pm
CR001 wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 6:35 pm
The outcome letter of EU settled status said the letter itself is not evidence. It provided this link view-and-prove-your-rights.homeoffice.gov.uk and said it must be used to check the status. So I'm not sure what the letter would've proven:(
Here we go https://assets.publishing.service.gov.u ... 3.0ext.pdf
Page 24 says:
"If they have ILR that has been granted through the EU Settlement Scheme (EUSS)
the only evidence required will be the date of the grant. You must check this against
Home Office records"
I knew I wasn't a complete numpty submitting my application without adding any EU settled status evidence!

alexbran89
Romania

Post by alexbran89 » Mon Apr 15, 2019 9:38 pm

when I applied think the application was slightly different because like I said if I was to say yes at the stage where they ask:
Are you either:
An EEA national who
document certifying permanent residence
A family member of an EEA national who has been issued with a permanent residence card

If I was to say yes then the next step was for me to enter the pr card number but I think now they’ve slightly changed the question like you mentioned.

I even got a print screen off my phone when I chose yes and no to prove how different was the application in Feb.

Not sure what to say, maybe it was a mistake that you didn't attached the granted letter to your application.
I hope you get sorted

Nikmishin
Newly Registered
Mood:
Moldova

Post by Nikmishin » Mon Apr 15, 2019 10:40 pm

alexbran89 wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 9:38 pm
when I applied think the application was slightly different because like I said if I was to say yes at the stage where they ask:
Are you either:
An EEA national who
A family member of an EEA national who has been issued with a permanent residence card

If I was to say yes then the next step was for me to enter the pr card number but I think now they’ve slightly changed the question like you mentioned.

I even got a print screen off my phone when I chose yes and no to prove how different was the application in Feb.

Not sure what to say, maybe it was a mistake that you didn't attached the granted letter to your application.
I hope you get sorted
In that case HO definitely messed up my application royally because as you can see in my post a little earlier their own guidance says the caseworker must check the EU settled status as part of their processes.

alexbran89
Romania

Post by alexbran89 » Tue Apr 16, 2019 8:31 am

I understand your frustration I would feel the same. I presume if you apply for a reconsideration and attach everything you have etc think they will look into it and accept you but again I’m no expert maybe somebody else around here got more knowledge and experience.
Bit of a pain now for you because I think the reconsideration process takes even more time then the normal application process but I really hope you get accepted in the end.
I will keep you all updated with my application process.

peter88
Newly Registered

Post by peter88 » Tue Apr 16, 2019 8:44 am

Nikmishin wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 8:02 pm
peter88 wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 7:43 pm
Nikmishin wrote:

Hope this helps
Sorry, I forgot to mention I'm married to a British Citizen, so didn't have to wait 12 months. Where did you get the information that nobody can use EU settled scheme to apply for BC? My EU settled status outcome letter referred me to https://www.gov.uk/british-citizenship which explicitly said I could use my EU settled status to apply. Besides, the rejection letter itself says I must make a fresh application with evidence of PR or EU settled status.

Sorry for duplication of this post, I meant to reply to your post quoting it.
Ah, that changes things!

"Where did you get the information that nobody can use EU settled scheme to apply for BC?"

I was referrring to the fact that it requires you to wait for 12 months and since it's a new scheme, nobody would be able to satisfy that requiremenet. But of course if you're married to a BC this does not apply to you.

As pointed out by other users -Settlement Scheme does not provide you with any form of documentation which has been criticized left and right - and rightfully so, being compared to 'potential Windrush 2.0' and I believe we're seeing the first signs of it...

Fbiboy2002
Mood:

Post by Fbiboy2002 » Tue Apr 16, 2019 8:46 am

Hi I have just checked the online application in the two cases
If you answered yes to the question about do you have pr or not , and If you answered no
Here's the outcome really confusing because even if you answered no you will find another question asking do you have leave to remain in UK
https://ibb.co/3FRXkG9
And
https://ibb.co/9V5njPb

Nikmishin
Newly Registered
Mood:
Moldova

Post by Nikmishin » Tue Apr 16, 2019 8:50 am

alexbran89 wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 9:38 pm
Are you either:
An EEA national who

I hope you get sorted
Hey Alex,
Could you please attach the screenshot or upload it somewhere like Google drive and add a link here? I think that would really help with my reconsideration application. Thank you!

Alien2017

Post by Alien2017 » Tue Apr 16, 2019 8:53 am

Looks that you have to choose yes and put the date on, I would still attach a copy of the letter received with settled status with the rest of the documents at the end even if it s not required, and I would also mention all details in the comment box at the end where they ask if you need to add anything else that they should know about, that I do hold settled status granted on date and the number from the letter. Just to be on the safe side as looks that they didn't get it yet. Maybe later won t be an issue but looks that is now