ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Citizenship by marriage to an Irish citizen

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

harprtk
Ireland

Citizenship by marriage to an Irish citizen

Post by harprtk » Sun Apr 07, 2019 7:26 pm

Hi All,

I will be applying for my citizenship next April and just wanted to get stuff ready in time.

Can someone please advise on what documents are required to apply? I understand 3 years proof of address and bank statements are a must. Which references are asked and do we have to provide GP details etc? Also, regarding the 6 week absence rule, does it only apply for a year before application. Eg. If I applied on 28th March 2020, am I allowed to leave Ireland for a holiday any time this year? I wish to go in a 4 day holiday in August, will that affect the application or does it mean I am safer if I applied on 2nd April instead (adding 4 days).

Finally, Are old passports and original birth certificate requested or copies will work as I do not have my originals in Ireland. If someone could please help :) Cheers.

littlerr
Respected Guru
China

Re: Citizenship by marriage to an Irish citizen

Post by littlerr » Sun Apr 07, 2019 10:24 pm

Can someone please advise on what documents are required to apply?
Examples are provided by INIS. Anything that can approve you live here. This can be bank statements, utility bills, government correspondence letters, company letters etc.
I understand 3 years proof of address and bank statements are a must. Which references are asked and do we have to provide GP details etc?
In my case, I did not submit any GP details - I did not go to any GPs and I was not asked for any GP letter.
Bank statements can be proof of address only if you have regular offline shopping on it. If you use your bank account only for direct debits and salary payments, it is not a valid proof of address. However, you still need to submit them because it is proof of salary and finance. I was asked to submit 3 months of bank statements for my main bank account (which only has salary and direct debits) for each year.
Also, regarding the 6 week absence rule, does it only apply for a year before application.
Yes. However, if you are absent for more than 6 weeks in any year, you need to deduct them from your residency days calculations.
Eg. If I applied on 28th March 2020, am I allowed to leave Ireland for a holiday any time this year? I wish to go in a 4 day holiday in August, will that affect the application or does it mean I am safer if I applied on 2nd April instead (adding 4 days).
You can travel abroad for 6 weeks in any year. You don't need to deduct anything. So you can apply on 28 March 2020.
Finally, Are old passports and original birth certificate requested or copies will work as I do not have my originals in Ireland.
You need to obtain the originals for both of them.
You MUST have your original old passports if it contains an immigration stamp from Ireland. If it doesn't, it should be fine.
Regarding birth certificates, you need submit a certified copy of your original birth certificate, and have it translated if it is not in English. In order to certify your copy by a solicitor or notary in Ireland and translate them by a certified translator, by law, you MUST show the original certificate to them.They are required to do basic checks to make sure that the copy is exactly the same as the original.

harprtk
Ireland

Post by harprtk » Mon Apr 08, 2019 6:39 am

Thank you so much!! Now jist reagrding the stamp 4, mine will expire aftee 3 years on 6th April 2020. Is it okay to. Re new after submitting the application so it doesnt affect my work?

littlerr
Respected Guru
China

Post by littlerr » Mon Apr 08, 2019 6:59 am

So you want to apply for citizenship with only 9 days left in your GNIB? Why not renew your GNIB before you make the application?

You can of course apply for it as long as you have a valid status, but Citizenship Department will ask you to submit a new GNIB as soon as it expires, and this will cause a delay for more than 9 days for sure.

harprtk
Ireland

Post by harprtk » Mon Apr 08, 2019 10:09 am

Thank you for the clarification. I was not aware we could re new before hand. That will not be counted as a break as long as I have the 3 years without a break is it? How soon before the expiration date can I apply for a renewal?

littlerr
Respected Guru
China

Post by littlerr » Mon Apr 08, 2019 10:45 am

If you renew your GNIB after it expires, that will count as a break. You should always renew it beforehand.

The official advice is, you can renew it two weeks before it expires. 3-4 weeks should be fine too as long as you have a valid reason (e.g. you need to travel abroad very soon, or if you can’t find any other available appointment slots due to work etc)

harprtk
Ireland

Post by harprtk » Mon Apr 08, 2019 11:57 am

Thank you, you are a life saver!

Just a final question, for the 6 week rule, do they count arrival and departure dates?

Cheers!

littlerr
Respected Guru
China

Post by littlerr » Mon Apr 08, 2019 12:20 pm

I remember someone on this forum mentioned that they got a reply saying it does not include departure or arrival day, but I can't remember if it is an official advice.
You can email the question to them citizenshipinfo@justice.ie

harprtk
Ireland

Post by harprtk » Tue Apr 09, 2019 1:42 pm

Makes sense, thank you.

Are we required to provide Police clearance from all the countries of our previous residence?

littlerr
Respected Guru
China

Post by littlerr » Tue Apr 09, 2019 2:00 pm

Again just by memory, I think you need to supply the police cert for all countries you lived in in the last 8 years (except for Ireland).

lolo82
Canada

Post by lolo82 » Wed Apr 10, 2019 7:10 pm

harprtk wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2019 1:42 pm
Makes sense, thank you.

Are we required to provide Police clearance from all the countries of our previous residence?
Yes. I had to get it from the country I lived in during 2008 and my home country. I don’t believe there is an 8 year rule.

denise78
Newly Registered
Czech Republic

Post by denise78 » Wed Apr 17, 2019 3:21 pm

Hello

I am about to apply for citizenship by naturalisation and need bit of advice. I see they state a rule that ppl applying should not receive any state benefits in last three years, I am in my recent employment two years and prior to this I was on Community employment payment, do you think this would be counted as a state benefit too?
thanks for your advice

littlerr
Respected Guru
China

Post by littlerr » Wed Apr 17, 2019 3:36 pm

denise78 wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2019 3:21 pm
Hello

I am about to apply for citizenship by naturalisation and need bit of advice. I see they state a rule that ppl applying should not receive any state benefits in last three years, I am in my recent employment two years and prior to this I was on Community employment payment, do you think this would be counted as a state benefit too?
thanks for your advice
As long as it is a means-tested benefit, it is not allowed. The benefit you mentioned apparently needs to be means tested.

The only benefits allowed are (1) social insurance payment (i.e. you pay PRSI first and then you get some benefits through the money you paid) and (2) universal payments (e.g. Child Benefits).

niccim
Ireland

Post by niccim » Thu Apr 25, 2019 2:39 pm

littlerr wrote:
Mon Apr 08, 2019 10:45 am
If you renew your GNIB after it expires, that will count as a break. You should always renew it beforehand.

The official advice is, you can renew it two weeks before it expires. 3-4 weeks should be fine too as long as you have a valid reason (e.g. you need to travel abroad very soon, or if you can’t find any other available appointment slots due to work etc)
Did they allow you to do this? Last time I went in early (only two weeks before expiration because I was travelling) they said it was impossible to renew early and that I should go on the exact date it would expire. He said he could make an exception to do it early, but that I shouldn't ask for it again.

littlerr
Respected Guru
China

Post by littlerr » Thu Apr 25, 2019 3:09 pm

niccim wrote:
Thu Apr 25, 2019 2:39 pm
littlerr wrote:
Mon Apr 08, 2019 10:45 am

Did they allow you to do this? Last time I went in early (only two weeks before expiration because I was travelling) they said it was impossible to renew early and that I should go on the exact date it would expire. He said he could make an exception to do it early, but that I shouldn't ask for it again.
I have never heard of that. In fact, it is their policy to renew stamps within the 2 week window before your current stamp expires. I can't believe someone would tell you to come in on the exact date. That is impossible to do with their stupid system and the expiry date could also fall on a weekend date.

littlerr
Respected Guru
China

Post by littlerr » Thu Apr 25, 2019 3:11 pm

Just use a random example:
http://www.inis.gov.ie/en/INIS/Pages/re ... sh-defacto
To apply for a renewal, you must visit a registration office within the 2 week period before expiry.

lucidj
Mood:
Ireland

Post by lucidj » Sun Apr 28, 2019 4:41 pm

Guys . I am married to an Irish National but my First stamp 4 was a Letter and I only registared It almost a year after I got It. Do my 3 years start ciunting from the dar of my Letter ir from the date that I registered and got my passport stamp?

littlerr
Respected Guru
China

Post by littlerr » Sun Apr 28, 2019 5:28 pm

lucidj wrote:
Sun Apr 28, 2019 4:41 pm
Guys . I am married to an Irish National but my First stamp 4 was a Letter and I only registared It almost a year after I got It. Do my 3 years start ciunting from the dar of my Letter ir from the date that I registered and got my passport stamp?
From the date of the stamp.

Manofeire
Newly Registered
Ireland

Post by Manofeire » Wed May 08, 2019 9:34 pm

Police clearance is new to me, its not mentioned at all in the required documents list that comes with the application or am I missing something?

Zoot7
Mood:
Ireland

Post by Zoot7 » Mon May 13, 2019 2:01 pm

Manofeire wrote:
Wed May 08, 2019 9:34 pm
Police clearance is new to me, its not mentioned at all in the required documents list that comes with the application or am I missing something?
It's a question I had upon reading the thread aswell. I'd be interested in hearing more about it.

I think you're correct though - Police Clearence is not mentioned anywhere in the required documents list on the INIS website, as least not that I can find.

I'm curious as my wife will be applying next year.

aneelrahim
Pakistan

Post by aneelrahim » Mon May 13, 2019 2:18 pm

Manofeire wrote:
Wed May 08, 2019 9:34 pm
I asked the question about the police certificate in 2017 and they give below reply

Dear Dr. xxx

We will not need police certificates from you, we will carry out our own necessary checks.

Regards
xxxxx
Citizenship Division

Zoot7
Mood:
Ireland

Post by Zoot7 » Mon May 13, 2019 2:29 pm

I think it depends on the countries you've lived in.

I'm guessing it's usually not required, but if you've lived in a country that the Irish authorities can't access records, they'll have to ask for it then...

Manofeire
Newly Registered
Ireland

Post by Manofeire » Mon Jun 03, 2019 12:20 pm

Will be applying without and will wait and see if they request more.
Can anyone tell me if the supporting evidence for residence needs to be originals or is a copy ok.

harprtk
Ireland

Post by harprtk » Fri Jul 19, 2019 5:07 pm

Exactly... Would anyone know when you aplly for the application and are awaiting decision, are you allowed to leave Ireland during the wait time?