ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Divorce - after two years of getting ILR

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

iloveyouuu
Newly Registered

Divorce - after two years of getting ILR

Post by iloveyouuu » Sat Apr 20, 2019 3:29 pm

I had my British citizenship a year ago after i had my ILR two years ago.

I'm now want to file a divorce as my wife has leave me 2 years ago.
I want to apply as - Divorce after 2 years separation is effectively the only no fault ground for a divorce in England and Wales and we can have both consent to the divorce in writing.

My question is - Will the divorce affect my British citizenship as when my wife not love me any more ( we still talk buy not live together anymore ) - as i was just starting my ILR.

Or better wait for an other year for file a Divorce ?

Thank you very much for your help.

Casa

Re: Divorce - after two years of getting ILR

Post by Casa » Sat Apr 20, 2019 3:35 pm

iloveyouuu wrote:
Sat Apr 20, 2019 3:29 pm

I want to apply as - Divorce after 2 years separation is effectively the only no fault ground for a divorce in England and Wales and we can have both consent to the divorce in writing.

My question is - Will the divorce affect my British citizenship as when my wife not love me any more ( we still talk buy not live together anymore ) - as i was just starting my ILR.

Absolutely zero affect on your British citizenship.
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

iloveyouuu
Newly Registered

Post by iloveyouuu » Sat Apr 20, 2019 3:49 pm

Thank you for your quick reply.

I'm just worrying as if i file a divorce with 2 years separation now - which means we were separated when I was on just start my ILR and during my British citizenship.

Will it allow ? As I wonder we might still need to be together when I were on my ILR ? Just don't want to break any rules.

Thank you very much.

Casa

Post by Casa » Sat Apr 20, 2019 5:02 pm

iloveyouuu wrote:
Sat Apr 20, 2019 3:49 pm
Thank you for your quick reply.

I'm just worrying as if i file a divorce with 2 years separation now - which means we were separated when I was on just start my ILR and during my British citizenship.

Will it allow ? As I wonder we might still need to be together when I were on my ILR ? Just don't want to break any rules.

Thank you very much.
There's no requirement to be living together once your ILR is granted.
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

difficult_guy

Post by difficult_guy » Sat Apr 20, 2019 9:41 pm

iloveyouuu wrote:
Sat Apr 20, 2019 3:29 pm

As far as I know, according to British law, you are married, until you are divorced. Stop worrying too much