ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Detailed Public Funds BC and wife on spouse visa

Questions and discussions about claiming benefits while living and working in the UK

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

BE12
Newly Registered

Detailed Public Funds BC and wife on spouse visa

Post by BE12 » Mon Aug 06, 2018 10:34 am

John wrote:
Sun Jul 18, 2010 4:07 pm
My attention has been drawn to detailed Public Funds guidance issued by UKBA.

Click here to read that guidance.

What is the no recourse to public funds condition?
Hi John,

I am a British Citizen, and my wife has just joined me - a year now. I was a permanent staff before she came to the Uk, but I work as a contractor which meant I have periods where I am out of work and cannot meet up with rent and all that.
I want to apply for benefits, but I am wondering if it will affect her when it comes to extension of her spouse visa. Can you please let me know what I can apply for and what I can’t apply for, so it does not affect her when it’s time for extension? I am looking at applying for anything out there for me at least before I start my next employment. Can we apply as joint or I will need to apply for them as just me?
Also, what is required when applying for extension in terms of document and what we need to demonstrate?

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: Detailed Public Funds BC and wife on spouse visa

Post by CR001 » Mon Aug 06, 2018 10:43 am

You can apply for any benefits you qualify for, see link for benefits calculator below. You must apply in your name only for benefits and if you have no children, you will only get single person entitlement but you must state your wife in the application forms and state you are married. The only benefits that must be claimed in joint names is tax credits. Your wife can of course also work.

https://benefits-calculator.turn2us.org.uk/AboutYou
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

BE12
Newly Registered

Post by BE12 » Mon Aug 06, 2018 9:04 pm

CR001 wrote:
Mon Aug 06, 2018 10:43 am
You can apply for any benefits you qualify for, see link for benefits calculator below. You must apply in your name only for benefits and if you have no children, you will only get single person entitlement but you must state your wife in the application forms and state you are married. The only benefits that must be claimed in joint names is tax credits. Your wife can of course also work.

https://benefits-calculator.turn2us.org.uk/AboutYou
Thank you CR001 for your response, you have said state her name in the benefit application, but will she on the application not increase what I receive and thus making her receive public fund?
Sorry I've not applied for benefit before.

BinaH
Newly Registered

Post by BinaH » Wed Apr 17, 2019 2:31 pm

Hello Sir,
Did you claim any benefits afterward? As i am British citizen and my husband along with his 2 sons who 're not my biological sons. I claimed housing benefit for few months and child tax credit. Housing was under my name but they added me As i live with husband and kids. Did you manage to find out if claiming benefits are alright as a British citizen. As hmrc said i have not made any wrong claim so housing council are.
They say if 1 person out of couple is subject to immigration control and 1 is British citizen can treat as normal.
Kind regards

JB007
- thin ice -

Post by JB007 » Sun Apr 21, 2019 9:56 am

BinaH wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2019 2:31 pm

They say if 1 person out of couple is subject to immigration control and 1 is British citizen can treat as normal.
That used to be the case for the old benefit called Tax Credit but you could never take extra benefit money for a spouse for the other low income benefits like Housing Benefit, Jobseekers etc.

Then changed that Tax Credit benefit rule to be only if there was a child in the household. They removed that extra benefit money for the others, even if these were already taking the Second Adult Elelment benefit money of Tax Credit.

With the Welare Reforms, the Tax Credit benefit has gone and they said they were going to make all people who had "no access to Public Funds" the same, to make it fair to those who can't take low income benefit money through a partner who can claim benefits.