ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Tier 4 BRP replacement card and travelling

Only for UK Student Visas, formerly known as Tier 4 (General) student visa

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

florie
Newly Registered
Singapore

Tier 4 BRP replacement card and travelling

Post by florie » Sun Apr 21, 2019 4:06 pm

Hello,

I'm not sure if I've posted this topic in the right section, please direct me to the right section if I haven't. Thanks in advance!

So anyway I'm a tier 4 student visa holder currently doing my Masters in the UK. Last week when I was travelling in London my wallet got stolen when I was walking through a crowd because there was a strike/protest going on. :( My BRP was in it and so I reported it to the police, reported it as stolen to the home office and also completed my online application for a replacement.

However here's the problem; I'm actually due to fly back home to do my placement year on 4 June and I read online that the 8 week timeline for a replacement only starts after I attend the appointment (which I scheduled on 4 May as all slots before that are filled in all 3 locations nearest to me). This leaves 4 weeks for me in the UK to wait for my BRP to arrive, and while there are no changes to my details in my passport and BRP (meaning essentially I'm just replacing my BRP with a completely identical one), I can't be certain if I can get the replacement in time.

Is it possible for me to leave the UK before the replacement card arrives? I do have a relative in the UK and I am thinking of having the card couriered to his address, and then subsequently have him pass it to me when he comes to visit in the next one year.

I would really appreciate any advice/information provided!

sah10406
Diamond Member

Re: Tier 4 BRP replacement card and travelling

Post by sah10406 » Sun Apr 21, 2019 5:58 pm

florie wrote:
Sun Apr 21, 2019 4:06 pm
Is it possible for me to leave the UK before the replacement card arrives?
Yes. You show your BRP when entering the UK, not when leaving.
I do not give immigration advice. I refer you to Immigration Rules, guidance, other online content and to your sponsor.

florie
Newly Registered
Singapore

Post by florie » Sun Apr 21, 2019 6:06 pm

sah10406 wrote:
Sun Apr 21, 2019 5:58 pm
florie wrote:
Sun Apr 21, 2019 4:06 pm
Is it possible for me to leave the UK before the replacement card arrives?
Yes. You show your BRP when entering the UK, not when leaving.
Hey Sah10406, thanks for your reply! But I also read online that if I leave before a decision was made the home office would withdraw my application, which is extremely risky because I will definitely not be back to the UK in the next 1 year. Or would this not be applicable to me, since I read it on the "extend your tier 4 visa from within UK" section on the gov.uk website?

sah10406
Diamond Member

Post by sah10406 » Sun Apr 21, 2019 6:12 pm

florie wrote:
Sun Apr 21, 2019 6:06 pm
But I also read online that if I leave before a decision was made the home office would withdraw my application, which is extremely risky because I will definitely not be back to the UK in the next 1 year. Or would this not be applicable to me, since I read it on the "extend your tier 4 visa from within UK" section on the gov.uk website?
As you say, that is about leaving the common travel area UK when you have a pending extension application.
I do not give immigration advice. I refer you to Immigration Rules, guidance, other online content and to your sponsor.

florie
Newly Registered
Singapore

Post by florie » Sun Apr 21, 2019 6:19 pm

sah10406 wrote:
Sun Apr 21, 2019 6:12 pm
As you say, that is about leaving the common travel area UK when you have a pending extension application.
Thank you so much! Judging from what you say I think it is possible for me to leave in June, and if my BRP is not ready by then I can get it couriered to my relative instead. This has really taken a huge load off my shoulders after needing to sort out everything that has gone missing along with my wallet. :(

sah10406
Diamond Member

Post by sah10406 » Mon Apr 22, 2019 11:03 am

You are welcome, but I don't recommend you act on immigration advice from a random online stranger, even me. Given your concern, I suggest you get advice from the international student adviser at your university.

florie
Newly Registered
Singapore

Post by florie » Mon Apr 22, 2019 12:21 pm

Yes, I was planning to ask my university after they return from the Easter holidays. Nonetheless, thanks!

florie
Newly Registered
Singapore

Post by florie » Mon Jun 03, 2019 11:16 am

In case a similar situation happens to someone, here's what happened after I reported my BRP stolen. I went through the standard service (ie. 8 weeks for a decision to be made).

Reported stolen/submission of replacement of BRP: 18 April 2019
UKVCAS Appointment at the Birmingham branch: 4 May 2019
Decision letter : Arrived on 31 May 2019, dated 30 May 2019
BRP: Arrived on 11.15am, 3 June 2019, though I did not get any form of delivery email/notice from DX

It took about 4 weeks for them to come to a decision (including the 2 bank holidays in May) after my appointment at UKVAS, and I am so relieved my BRP came in time just before my flight tomorrow night! :D

Dev1990
Newly Registered
Mood:
India

Post by Dev1990 » Wed Aug 21, 2019 4:30 pm

Hello,

Did you have to submit the police report for the lost wallet and its contents?
How many proof of address documents did you have to submit? when filling application online it is mentioned driving license, bank statement, utility, council tax, Letter from GP as mandatory documents. But should we submit all or just what we have?