ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Foreign Birth Registration passport photo query

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

BecomingIrishCitizen
Newly Registered

Foreign Birth Registration passport photo query

Post by BecomingIrishCitizen » Mon Apr 22, 2019 12:21 pm

Hi all. I’m currently in the middle of applying for Foreign Birth Registration and I’ve attached twin UK size passport photographs that have already been signed and dated. However I didn’t cut the passport to “size” and there is a wide white border on the edges. Will this affect the application? I cannot cut it to size as the signature and date that’s on it is quite large so it will cut it off if I do it. Thanks.

littlerr
Respected Guru
China

Re: Foreign Birth Registration passport photo query

Post by littlerr » Mon Apr 22, 2019 12:30 pm

The passport photos I submitted for my naturalisation certificate are the same as yours. I did not bother cutting the white borders. I didn’t have any trouble. I don’t think they will be that strict.

BecomingIrishCitizen
Newly Registered

Post by BecomingIrishCitizen » Mon Apr 22, 2019 12:32 pm

littlerr wrote:
Mon Apr 22, 2019 12:30 pm
The passport photos I submitted for my naturalisation certificate are the same as yours. I did not bother cutting the white borders. I didn’t have any trouble. I don’t think they will be that strict.
Great thank you. So it does not have to be cut “to size”? Did you send UK size passport or Irish size? If there’s a difference at all. That’s what I’m worried about! The last thing I want is to send the application off and redo it all over again even after paying the fee. It says on the instructions part that’s what I will have to do if it comes back incomplete/wrong.

littlerr
Respected Guru
China

Post by littlerr » Mon Apr 22, 2019 3:56 pm

I used to need to apply for Irish and UK visas every year. I always use the same photos and never cut properly. Never had any problems.

fvigaud
United States of America

Post by fvigaud » Mon Apr 22, 2019 6:26 pm

How I wish I had found this board before; I put my app in the post this morning with tremendous concerns about my passport size photos...and just found this board now. The instructions say to have the photos singed, dated, and stamped by the witness. But there is literally no room for all three on a passport-sized photo. Also, photography paper will not allow for stamp ink to remain; it just smears. So I just had them signed and dated, and the notary stamp on the envelope that enclosed the photos. Any thoughts/ideas?

BecomingIrishCitizen
Newly Registered

Post by BecomingIrishCitizen » Tue Apr 23, 2019 8:47 am

fvigaud wrote:
Mon Apr 22, 2019 6:26 pm
How I wish I had found this board before; I put my app in the post this morning with tremendous concerns about my passport size photos...and just found this board now. The instructions say to have the photos singed, dated, and stamped by the witness. But there is literally no room for all three on a passport-sized photo. Also, photography paper will not allow for stamp ink to remain; it just smears. So I just had them signed and dated, and the notary stamp on the envelope that enclosed the photos. Any thoughts/ideas?
Hi

Thank you again for your reply to the previous poster. Really appreciate it and will be sending it off shortly.

& your witness only has to sign and date 2 passport photographs. Make sure she or he uses a ballpoint pen so the ink does not smear. The stamp or business card (to attach) needs to go onto section E on the form in the square box.

I hope this helps?

jgclancy
Member of Standing
United States of America

Post by jgclancy » Sat Jul 20, 2019 12:52 am

The sign/stamp/date instructions for the photographs is really just so poorly written & vague.I mean signing/dating the back of such a small photo seems ridiculous to begin with to me. The part about stamping at first glance would indicate you have to stamp the back of the photos too! But common sense should tell you that can't be what they want done. Another aspect is that here in the US many people don't have a stamp OR a business card.I just had my witness sign everything and had him get it all notarized. it has all his contact information too so any questions??-just contact the witness!
They really should have a complete example page showing people what they want done but that ain't happening.

Sulla
Member of Standing
Portugal

Post by Sulla » Sun Jul 21, 2019 11:01 pm

jgclancy wrote:
Sat Jul 20, 2019 12:52 am
The sign/stamp/date instructions for the photographs is really just so poorly written & vague.I mean signing/dating the back of such a small photo seems ridiculous to begin with to me. The part about stamping at first glance would indicate you have to stamp the back of the photos too! But common sense should tell you that can't be what they want done. Another aspect is that here in the US many people don't have a stamp OR a business card.I just had my witness sign everything and had him get it all notarized. it has all his contact information too so any questions??-just contact the witness!
They really should have a complete example page showing people what they want done but that ain't happening.
At the FBR stage, I had my witness, sign and date the reverse of the photos in ballpoint pen. The business card I attached in Section E as indicated. I did not have a stamp. All my photos were pre-cut. The size was UK standard as I had them left over from my recent UK passport renewal. No issues were encountered. I applied in August 2018.

For the passport application, the photos were taken in China according the directions and dimensions specified on the DFA site. They were pre-cut before signing. I had mine witnessed at the Irish embassy by a Commissioner of Oaths. He signed, dated and stamped the photos on the reverse. The stamp used was a circular grey ink stamp approximately 2cm in diameter. It did not smear and did not obscure the signature or date. Since this is what the embassy did themselves, I assume that this is what they want done.

Prior to going there to have the photos and application witnessed, I did have other witnesses lined up. However, their stamps were too large and the ink type smeared easily - I tested this. Later, at the embassy, I was told that if the stamp is too large it did not matter. A partial stamp on the photo (as long as it was clear and un-smeared) would have been fine. My passport application was made in late March 2019.

littlerr
Respected Guru
China

Post by littlerr » Sun Jul 21, 2019 11:12 pm

Sulla wrote:
Sun Jul 21, 2019 11:01 pm
jgclancy wrote:
Sat Jul 20, 2019 12:52 am
At the FBR stage, I had my witness, sign and date the reverse of the photos in ballpoint pen. The business card I attached in Section E as indicated. I did not have a stamp. All my photos were pre-cut. The size was UK standard as I had them left over from my recent UK passport renewal. No issues were encountered. I applied in August 2018.

For the passport application, the photos were taken in China according the directions and dimensions specified on the DFA site. They were pre-cut before signing. I had mine witnessed at the Irish embassy by a Commissioner of Oaths. He signed, dated and stamped the photos on the reverse. The stamp used was a circular grey ink stamp approximately 2cm in diameter. It did not smear and did not obscure the signature or date. Since this is what the embassy did themselves, I assume that this is what they want done.

Prior to going there to have the photos and application witnessed, I did have other witnesses lined up. However, their stamps were too large and the ink type smeared easily - I tested this. Later, at the embassy, I was told that if the stamp is too large it did not matter. A partial stamp on the photo (as long as it was clear and un-smeared) would have been fine. My passport application was made in late March 2019.
Just to add to this, if your photo is witnessed in Ireland by a police officer (all passport applications in Ireland must have been witnessed by a police officer), they will have a large stamp that is at least twice the size of a photo, and the ink does smear a lot. It doesn’t really matter. My passport photo even has a wrong date on it (because the officer didn’t even bother checking the date) but my application got processed without any issue.

jgclancy
Member of Standing
United States of America

Post by jgclancy » Mon Jul 22, 2019 7:03 pm

I guess I'll find out next year (hopefully they look at my application by then) if how I did it was acceptable for FBR. Otherwise,it'll take longer but at this early stage & how long it now takes for processing I won't really care. When I reach the passport phase(assuming I'll get FBR) I'll just take my photos to the Irish consulate and have them stamp any photos. At least I've learned more about stamps now and can advise other people on what to do. Thanks. Jim C.

Rinefitz
Newly Registered

Post by Rinefitz » Thu Nov 21, 2019 6:55 pm

Could I ask what was written on the back of the 2 out of 4 photos? I find the info on this vague?

Thank you 😊