ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Application for naturalisation - ILR + 2 years residency - current processing times

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

SAffa_Sean
Newly Registered

Re: Application for naturalisation - ILR + 2 years residency - current processing times

Post by SAffa_Sean » Tue Apr 16, 2019 9:16 am

CR001 wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 12:41 pm
1. Yes, once you have taken the oath etc.

2. Correct.

3. You need to provide all uncancelled passports, including current passport.

4. It is taking about 2 weeks at the moment. It gets slower the closer it gets to summer.
Thank you. For 3. above would I need to send original passports in if I am using the online passport application?

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: Application for naturalisation - ILR + 2 years residency - current processing times

Post by CR001 » Tue Apr 16, 2019 9:17 am

SAffa_Sean wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2019 9:16 am
Thank you. For 3. above would I need to send original passports in if I am using the online passport application?
Yes.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

SAffa_Sean
Newly Registered

Post by SAffa_Sean » Wed Apr 24, 2019 6:28 pm

thank you for your help.

I attended my UK citizenship ceremony last Thursday the 18th of April and have submitted my application for my first UK passport on 20 April.

As instructed when I received my citizenship certificate I have already returned my biometric residence permit.

I am at the stage of my application where I need to send my citizenship certificate and South African passport by post.

Today I have received the terrible news that my mother has passed away unexpectedly. I would obviously like to travel back to South Africa to attend her funeral but I'm not sure about my ability to travel in my situation.

Do you know if there is a way that I can travel to South Africa using my South African passport and return to the UK even though my UK passport application is currently in progress and I have returned my BRP?

I have the number for the UKVI helpline 0300 123 2241 and plan to call in the morning but are there any other resources I can consult in the meantime?

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Thu Apr 25, 2019 5:49 am

You can leave the UK no problem. You will have an issue returning and won't be able to board a plane without proof of right to enter the UK.

I suggest speak to HMPO directly and not the UKVI call centre. Explain the circs and ask if there is anyway the passport can be expedited. Someone managed to do this a couple of months ago.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

bookerw100
Member of Standing

Post by bookerw100 » Thu Apr 25, 2019 2:39 pm

SAffa_Sean wrote:
Wed Apr 24, 2019 6:28 pm
thank you for your help.

I attended my UK citizenship ceremony last Thursday the 18th of April and have submitted my application for my first UK passport on 20 April.

As instructed when I received my citizenship certificate I have already returned my biometric residence permit.

I am at the stage of my application where I need to send my citizenship certificate and South African passport by post.

Today I have received the terrible news that my mother has passed away unexpectedly. I would obviously like to travel back to South Africa to attend her funeral but I'm not sure about my ability to travel in my situation.

Do you know if there is a way that I can travel to South Africa using my South African passport and return to the UK even though my UK passport application is currently in progress and I have returned my BRP?

I have the number for the UKVI helpline 0300 123 2241 and plan to call in the morning but are there any other resources I can consult in the meantime?
So sorry to hear about your loss.
I also had to travel urgently due to some other reasons, instead of ringing the UKVI helpline, ring that HMPO where your application is, as the moderator has mentioned above. Google it and you should be able to find their number. They are much more clued on and you can actually directly speak to your caseworker. They sent my foreign passport pretty quick and also sent my British passport pretty quick. I actually managed to travel on my new BP. I actually had to pick it up from the local depot of the delivery company instead as it was getting delivered the next day which was going to be too late for me. good luck