ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

NHS EXEMPTION CERTIFICATE

Questions and discussions about claiming benefits while living and working in the UK

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

noorali26

NHS EXEMPTION CERTIFICATE

Post by noorali26 » Thu Apr 25, 2019 6:59 pm

Hi all i want to know i have received NHs exemption certificate for me and my wife can i use these free dental and free nhs prescriptions because i am on 10 year route spouse visa .
I am just worried if i use it wont effect on my future visa applications and ilr in future if someone reply it would b great thanks.
Wife and 2 kids are british

secret.simon

Re: NHS EXEMPTION CERTIFICATE

Post by secret.simon » Thu Apr 25, 2019 9:26 pm

There is no exemption from paying for dental care, even with a medical exemption certificate (presumably that is what you have).

Having and using the certificate should have no impact on any immigration application.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

noorali26

Post by noorali26 » Fri Apr 26, 2019 5:53 am

But on the letter its written i can use this NHs tax credit Exemption certificate free nhs prescription free dental treatment and free nhs funded sight tests.

JB007
- thin ice -

Post by JB007 » Fri Apr 26, 2019 8:48 am

secret.simon wrote:
Thu Apr 25, 2019 9:26 pm
There is no exemption from paying for dental care, even with a medical exemption certificate (presumably that is what you have).
It sounds like both parents are not working and the wife is under the old (legacy) benefit system where parents could choose not to work, have benefits and free dental and prescriptions. It won't be possible under the Welfare Reform laws with Universal Credit, which replaces these legacy benefits, because able bodied parents under age 68 (state pension age) will both have to work. And from now on, when a partner is added to their welfare claim, that triggers their move to Universal Credit.

These are sent out automatically and whether he is allowed to use that as he is subject to immigratuon control, I don't know. We have the DWP sending out winter fuel payments automatically but these have to return that money if they are subject to immigration control. It's how the system is set up to send out these automatically and it is up to the person to ensure they do not take what they are not allowed.

JB007
- thin ice -

Post by JB007 » Fri Apr 26, 2019 9:08 am

Low income benefits

You're entitled to free NHS dental treatment if you or your spouse (including civil partner) receive:

Income Support
Income-related Employment and Support Allowance
Income-based Jobseeker's Allowance
Pension Credit Guarantee Credit
Universal Credit (in certain circumstances)

https://www.nhs.uk/common-health-questi ... n-england/

The first 3 are the old legacy benefits that are being replaced by Universal Credit under the Welfare Reform laws,where parents will no longer be able to chose not to work to get the welfare state to keep them and their children. If claimants don't trigger a move to Universal Credit, they will start to be moved to Universal Credit from this year. Universal Credit has work requirements for able bodied parents of between 35 - 70 hours a week between them with one parent having to work the 35 hours a week.

Pension Credit looks set to end as the state pension age has to been raised to just over the limit for claiming Pension Credit and in two years the transition state pension period to age 66 for women will be complete. We have already seen changes to this benefit to reduce who can claim, with more changes next month that were announced years ago.

Universal Credit - those on the old income related ESA benefit and moved to Universal Credit, and where their medicals always put them in the Support Group, are expempt form the work requirement and will still get a NHS exemption letter.

JB007
- thin ice -

Post by JB007 » Fri Apr 26, 2019 9:17 am

JB007 wrote:
Fri Apr 26, 2019 9:08 am
Pension Credit looks set to end as the state pension age has to been raised to just over the limit for claiming Pension Credit and in two years the transition state pension period to age 66 for women will be complete. We have already seen changes to this benefit to reduce who can claim, with more changes next month that were announced years ago.
I meant to say the transition period onto the new higher state pension amount. The move to age 66 for women will be completed this year.

People will have between the ages of 18 to age 68, to get the 35 years of working in the UK to quailfy for that higher state pension and therefore the Pension Credit benefit can be fully removed.

noorali26

Post by noorali26 » Fri Apr 26, 2019 2:00 pm

Yeah im working 24 hours a week we applied tax credit in 2015 and. Still getting this is my first extension thats why i asked wife not working im working 24 hours so that mean it will effect my future because i am getting public funds . Is that true

JB007
- thin ice -

Post by JB007 » Fri Apr 26, 2019 3:51 pm

noorali26 wrote:
Fri Apr 26, 2019 2:00 pm
Yeah im working 24 hours a week we applied tax credit in 2015 and. Still getting this is my first extension thats why i asked wife not working im working 24 hours so that mean it will effect my future because i am getting public funds . Is that true
No idea. You have to be on a very low joint earnings to have this exemption but are you aware that the Tax Credit benefit is ending from this year? And that you will be required to work 35 hours a week when on Universal Credit? And that your wife will have to work too? Just the amount you are expected to earn on Universal Credit will be over the amount for any NHS exemption for your wife. You will also get less benefit money on Universal Credit.