ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Passport application following naturalisation

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

Okaykay
Newly Registered
Aruba

Passport application following naturalisation

Post by Okaykay » Sat Apr 27, 2019 7:46 pm

Hey guys,
I’m wondering if once naturalised I’m obliged to apply for my first Irish passport in Ireland or I can do that in the Irish consulate in another country?
My wife got a job in the US and I’ll follow her while my application is pending, then once approved I’d come for the ceremony and fly back and apply for my passport in the US then.
What would you say?
Thanks

littlerr
Respected Guru
China

Re: Passport application following naturalisation

Post by littlerr » Sat Apr 27, 2019 9:21 pm

You can apply for your passport in any country, as long as that is your country of residence. So if you have a work or study visa in USA, you can apply for passport there. If you are on a tourist visa/permit you cannot apply for passport from there.

I would strongly advise against travelling abroad for extended periods while your citizenship application is still in pending. My friend who has a British passport and has been living in Ireland for 20 years are having this issue as he moved back to the UK a few months after the application was lodged. It has been almost a year now and his application is still in first stage.

Okaykay
Newly Registered
Aruba

Re: Passport application following naturalisation

Post by Okaykay » Mon Apr 29, 2019 8:56 pm

thank you