ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Question about English knowledge - incorrect answer

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

Benzane
Newly Registered
Brazil

Question about English knowledge - incorrect answer

Post by Benzane » Wed Apr 10, 2019 3:47 pm

Hi there,

I sent my online application today and I only realised that I made a mistake afterwards.

It was suspicious during the application that I did not have to provide my IELTS test number and now I realised that I answered yes to a question that was about whether I had the test as part of my indefinite leave application. I should have put no and that would have lead to me to the option to enter its number.

I have a band 8 academic exam, if I upload the certificate to the document checking service site with an explanation, is my application going to be accepted or am I likely to be rejected because of this mistake?

Thanks, Ben

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: Question about English knowledge - incorrect answer

Post by CR001 » Wed Apr 10, 2019 3:50 pm

Do you hold ILR or PR under the EU/EEA rules????
I have a band 8 academic exam,
You need UKVI IELTS level B1 for citizenship. It must be a test on the HO approved test and test provider current list.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

Benzane
Newly Registered
Brazil

Post by Benzane » Wed Apr 10, 2019 4:06 pm

I have the correct exam and I'm a permanent resident. I just ticked the wrong box and was not asked to provide my language exam details.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Wed Apr 10, 2019 4:14 pm

Academic ones are usually only accepted for certain visas. Which exam exactly did you do and when did you do it?
Char (CR001 not Casa)
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

Benzane
Newly Registered
Brazil

Post by Benzane » Wed Apr 10, 2019 4:24 pm

My question is not about the exam really. I just want to check if by selecting the incorrect answer but presenting the supporting documents my application will be accepted or rejected no matter what.

The exam I have is from 2018, Band 8 IELTS academic and was taken in a test centre that is in their list.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Wed Apr 10, 2019 5:16 pm

There is no issue submitting the evidence, if it meets the requirements.

As I said, academic IELTS is only accepted for certain visas, ie student visas and if you have done and submitted the wrong test, HO could refuse your application and you lose the citizenship fee paid.
Char (CR001 not Casa)

Benzane
Newly Registered
Brazil

Post by Benzane » Wed Apr 10, 2019 6:40 pm

Thanks, but I'm not sure you understand my original question.

I made a mistake when I answered the following question: "Did you meet the knowledge of English requirement as part of an indefinite leave application made on or after 28 October 2013?"

I responded with 'Yes' as I had my IELTS language exam already before I applied to become a permanent residence, however this was not required for that application.

I should have answered 'N'o to that question and that option would have taken me to the option to enter my exam number.

My question is simply (please assume that I have the correct exam) whether the application will be rejected or, if I provide evidence of the exam along with an explanation, will it be considered?

Thanks

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Wed Apr 10, 2019 7:22 pm

I did not misunderstand your question. You seem to be missing the point of my advice.

I am advising you that you potentially have the wrong test and risk losing £1330 application fee if your app is refused. There is no appeal right for refused applications.

Page 2, bottom right corner in the frequently asks questions document on which tests are needed.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... uage-tests

You can't fix the error in the form. You can submit the correct test certificate though with a covering letter. Many posts on the forum explaining this if an error is made online.

The IELTS website also clearly states you need life skills level B1 or IELTS for UKVI for citizenship. Academic is only for tier 4 student visas.

https://www.ielts.org/what-is-ielts/iel ... plications

I will leave others to comment further. Good luck.
Char (CR001 not Casa)

tresgoya

Post by tresgoya » Wed Apr 10, 2019 7:30 pm

OP - same happened to me. HO told me to submit a cover letter. I also asked about this at the appointment and they said the cover letter should be fine. The other alternative, I was offered was to give them the print-out of the online application at the appointment and they can cross the yes out, change it to no and add the test number and attach it as supporting docs.

Though, I believe the section isn't actually showing on the downloadable form. I only found it on the screenshots I took of the form before submitting.

I am not sure about the exam though. I took the exam specifically for naturalisation

Benzane
Newly Registered
Brazil

Post by Benzane » Wed Apr 10, 2019 8:10 pm

Thanks @CROO1, I see your point. At one point I reached out to my local council (when they offered the document checking service) and asked them about the language exam. They got in touch with the Home Office and they informed me that they did not give them a definitive answer (after seeing the scan of my exam) and I was told that in case the exam is not accepted, they will give me the opportunity to take an exam as part of the application.

Hope they did not misinform me and that it won't cost me £1330. Thanks

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Wed Apr 10, 2019 8:32 pm

£150 for the correct test or risk losing £1330 for a refused application for not meeting the English requirments. And yes, there have been refusals for this point.
Char (CR001 not Casa)

Benzane
Newly Registered
Brazil

Post by Benzane » Wed Apr 10, 2019 9:05 pm

The application has already been sent. Do you recommend to take another test (life skills) and attach that to my application?

Is it OK to take the exam after sending the application? Wouldn't it be a reason for rejection?

Thanks

at12

Post by at12 » Thu Apr 11, 2019 12:32 pm

"The exam I have is from 2018, Band 8 IELTS academic and was taken in a test centre that is in their list."
Note that it is not only about the test centre, it is also about the right exam.
Either "IELTS for UKVI" or "IELTS Life Skills"

From AN1:
[b]Acceptable qualifications[/b]
We will only accept an English language qualification that is on the Home
Office’s [u]list of approved tests[/u] as evidence that you have met the requirement to
hold a B1 level English qualification. This must be taken at a Home Office approved
test centre.

at12

Post by at12 » Thu Apr 11, 2019 12:37 pm

Also note the above is for the IELTS exam.
You can also take a (literally) 10 minute GESE exam that costs £150.

MrsPiggy
Newly Registered

Post by MrsPiggy » Wed May 01, 2019 4:03 pm

Hi everyone. This is my first post on this website, I created an account so I could weigh in on the IELTS issue, only because I have personal experience with this. I submitted IELTS academic at C2 level for entry clearance visa in 2014 and because this was accepted at the time, I should have been able to use to use the same for FLR(M) in 2017. However, due to the new rules for English requirement, my solicitor at the time advised to take another test, so this would still be valid for ILR. I then took IELTS academic for UKVI, this was at C2 level and was accepted for the FLR(M).
This thread has made me nervous, however, as I am preparing to apply for ILR soon and thought all the requirements were in place.
The test provider is on the approved list but the test centre is not. I called UKVI advice service who said the list of test centres changes frequently and this should not be a problem. I hope I wasn’t wrong in assuming this would be sufficient evidence as it was accepted in 2017, after the English requirements rules changed.
Thoughts, please?

bluebird12
Pakistan

Post by bluebird12 » Wed May 01, 2019 11:47 pm

To be on safe side , re-sit for exams again from approved centres , it is also mentioned on UKVI website as well... not worth wasting lots of money by taking risks ..

feri_2017
Iran

Post by feri_2017 » Thu May 02, 2019 8:33 am

The following page gives you all the information you need

https://takeielts.britishcouncil.org/ie ... 20I%20need?