ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Directive 2004/38/EC or fee waiver Schengen visa

Immigration to European countries, don't post UK or Ireland related topics!

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

radish2018
Newly Registered
Mood:

Directive 2004/38/EC or fee waiver Schengen visa

Post by radish2018 » Fri May 03, 2019 12:30 pm

Hi all

Can someone help on this query - I am a British citizen, my parents (Indian citizens residing in Delhi) will be travelling with me to Rome, from the UK. Since they are immediate family members, can they apply for tourist visas at the Italian embassy in Delhi with a visa fee waiver?
The Italian embassy is not picking up the phone (as expected) and the response from VFS was a stupid one which said that visa fee waiver is only applicable "if the immediate family member is an Italian citizen". If they were Italian citizens then they wouldnt apply for schengen visa in the first place, I wonder how much VFS employees actually know about visas!

Does anyone have any experience on a similar situation?

Thanks
Ria

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: Directive 2004/38/EC or fee waiver Schengen visa

Post by CR001 » Fri May 03, 2019 12:41 pm

Fee waiver is relevant to family of EU (non British) family.
response from VFS was a stupid one which said that visa fee waiver is only applicable "if the immediate family member is an Italian citizen".
Not stupid. They are referring to YOU not your parents!!
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

ALKB
Respected Guru
Germany

Post by ALKB » Fri May 03, 2019 3:13 pm

radish2018 wrote:
Fri May 03, 2019 12:30 pm
Hi all

Can someone help on this query - I am a British citizen, my parents (Indian citizens residing in Delhi) will be travelling with me to Rome, from the UK. Since they are immediate family members, can they apply for tourist visas at the Italian embassy in Delhi with a visa fee waiver?
The Italian embassy is not picking up the phone (as expected) and the response from VFS was a stupid one which said that visa fee waiver is only applicable "if the immediate family member is an Italian citizen". If they were Italian citizens then they wouldnt apply for schengen visa in the first place, I wonder how much VFS employees actually know about visas!

Does anyone have any experience on a similar situation?

Thanks
Ria
That's probably because they are not dealing with applications under the directive, those have to be submitted directly at the Embassy:

https://ambnewdelhi.esteri.it/ambasciat ... A_citizens

http://www.vfs-italy.co.in/delhi/Visa_f ... ional.html
I am not a regulated immigration advisor. I am offering an opinion and not advice.

radish2018
Newly Registered
Mood:

Post by radish2018 » Fri Aug 02, 2019 10:03 am

To put a closure on this topic - my parents finally applied for Schengen tourist visa with VFS. The Italian embassy never picked up the phone or replied to any emails to provide some clarity. We dont really know if this directive is applicable to this situation. Thanks to those who responded!