ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Urgent!! Tier 5 YMS to Tier 5 GAE

Only for UK Tier 5 (Temporary work) points system
Also includes the Youth Mobility Scheme Tier 5

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

J7189
Newly Registered
Hong Kong

Urgent!! Tier 5 YMS to Tier 5 GAE

Post by J7189 » Tue May 07, 2019 11:20 pm

Hello, I am currently looking to apply for the Tier 5 GAE visa (under AIESEC program) from being a current holder of the Tier 5 Youth Mobility scheme.

A bit of history:
I studied my undergraduate in the UK for 3 years under the Tier 4 Student visa (class of 2017). I then began working at a practice under the Tier 5 Youth Mobility Scheme which is expiring in December 2019. I will be returning to university for Masters in London next academic year, thus I would like to continue working in UK for one more year.

I have been looking online for information about whether the UK visa immigration department will allow individuals who has previously held a Tier 5 YMS visa, to go directly to the Tier 5 GAE by making an application outside the country. Unfortunately I did not find precedents for this specific case.

The UKVI Tier 5 GAE online information confuses me. The requirements in the 'Eligbility' section differs from the 'Switching' section - which says:

You must have completed a UK bachelor’s or master’s degree during your last grant of leave.

Does this mean I will get denied even if I get the CoS from AIESEC as I am coming from the YMS visa?

Many thanks to all.

sah10406
Diamond Member

Re: Urgent!! Tier 5 YMS to Tier 5 GAE

Post by sah10406 » Wed May 08, 2019 7:42 am

J7189 wrote:
Tue May 07, 2019 11:20 pm
Does this mean I will get denied even if I get the CoS from AIESEC as I am coming from the YMS visa?
No. By "Switching" they mean applying in the UK. Hence the requirements for that are not relevant to you if you are applying in your home country.
I do not give immigration advice. I refer you to Immigration Rules, guidance, other online content and to your sponsor.

J7189
Newly Registered
Hong Kong

Post by J7189 » Wed May 08, 2019 4:30 pm

I was digging through the forums and this came up similar to my situation:

uk-tier-5-temporary-work-visas/yms-visa ... 38781.html

The answer was a no.

So you mean, as long as I exit the country and make a new application for the Tier 5 GAE under AIESEC, there is a good chance that I will successful?

Not sure if it's worth taking the risk now paying alot of money for sponsorship and getting rejected...

sah10406
Diamond Member

Post by sah10406 » Thu May 09, 2019 7:42 am

J7189 wrote:
Wed May 08, 2019 4:30 pm
So you mean, as long as I exit the country and make a new application for the Tier 5 GAE under AIESEC, there is a good chance that I will successful?
It is simply that you cannot make a Tier 5 GAE application in the UK, only in your home country.

Whether it is successful or not depends on your meeting the requirements for the visa.
I do not give immigration advice. I refer you to Immigration Rules, guidance, other online content and to your sponsor.

Frontier Mole
Respected Guru

Post by Frontier Mole » Thu May 09, 2019 8:05 am

Have you talked to the Tier 5 GAE scheme operators to see if you qualify in the first place? Pointless checking about where you can apply if you don’t meet the scheme criteria.

Remember they have to issue you with a COS before you can apply in the first place.

The scheme is for recent graduates - don’t know what the timescale is to be classed as recent. I am guessing two years after graduation may be outside the timescales?

J7189
Newly Registered
Hong Kong

Post by J7189 » Thu May 09, 2019 9:16 am

Frontier Mole wrote:
Thu May 09, 2019 8:05 am
Have you talked to the Tier 5 GAE scheme operators to see if you qualify in the first place? Pointless checking about where you can apply if you don’t meet the scheme criteria.

Remember they have to issue you with a COS before you can apply in the first place.

The scheme is for recent graduates - don’t know what the timescale is to be classed as recent. I am guessing two years after graduation may be outside the timescales?
According to the AIESEC scheme, its no longer than 3 years of graduation. I am currently post 1.5 years/nearing 2 years.

I spoke with them and had a few email exchanged, they said yes and I have to apply from outside. My company is helping me do their assessment form at the moment to see if I actually qualify on paper.

As many have said, the Home Office decides the rules. I just wanted a secured confirmation with what I am doing is legal (as I just want to have one more year of work experience in London) and whether the probability of getting the Tier 5 GAE is high.

Frontier Mole
Respected Guru

Post by Frontier Mole » Thu May 09, 2019 9:35 am

I think the main issue will be at visa application stage... you graduated in the UK and already have two years experience of the UK in a working environment. The GAE scheme is aimed at overseas graduates coming to the UK to gain an experience you have had already.

J7189
Newly Registered
Hong Kong

Post by J7189 » Thu May 09, 2019 10:03 am

Yeah that's another main concern. After looking up on various information and talking to people, maybe it would be easiest/safest to return to my home country for a year before I resume my Masters studies in London.

sah10406
Diamond Member

Post by sah10406 » Thu May 09, 2019 10:10 am

J7189 wrote:
Thu May 09, 2019 10:03 am
maybe it would be easiest/safest to return to my home country for a year before I resume my Masters studies in London.
I think so. You also need to be mindful of your credibility for the future Tier 4 application. Multiple previous applications could suggest you are more interested in being in the UK at any price than in your Masters course itself, although I'm sure any doubts would be cleared up at a credibility interview.

J7189
Newly Registered
Hong Kong

Post by J7189 » Thu May 09, 2019 10:21 am

sah10406 wrote:
Thu May 09, 2019 10:10 am
J7189 wrote:
Thu May 09, 2019 10:03 am
maybe it would be easiest/safest to return to my home country for a year before I resume my Masters studies in London.
I think so. You also need to be mindful of your credibility for the future Tier 4 application. Multiple previous applications could suggest you are more interested in being in the UK at any price than in your Masters course itself, although I'm sure any doubts would be cleared up at a credibility interview.
That is a very good point. Thank you all for the advice, really appreciate it. It would be nice to be home with family after many years in the UK.