ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Non-EU with ILR married to EU citizen and living in UK. Registration or Residence Card?

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

badhodor
Mood:
India

Non-EU with ILR married to EU citizen and living in UK. Registration or Residence Card?

Post by badhodor » Tue May 14, 2019 9:10 am

Hi Guys,

Just wanted to get some advice.
My background:-

I am an Indian citizen through birth, currently with ILR living in UK for almost 10 years now. I will be eligible to apply for naturalisation and will be subsequently going for british passport and citizenship in the next 7-8 months or so.

I am married to my Latvian wife and we have a baby on the way as well. I wanted to know with brexit on the horizon (whether it happens or not), do I as a Non-EU qualify for a registration/residence card through my wife's Latvian citizenship? If yes, then where do I apply? Latvian embassy and website are quite confusing and even my wife is unable to decipher their weird processes.

I just wanted to make sure that in the event of Brexit actually happening me and my wife can travel or move to wherever we both want with minimum hassle and if I can get a registration/residence card now to ensure we are future proofed in that way?

Any thoughts/advice welcome.

alterhase58
Germany

Re: Non-EU with ILR married to EU citizen and living in UK. Registration or Residence Card?

Post by alterhase58 » Tue May 14, 2019 5:14 pm

As you already have ILR (freedom from immigration restrictions) you don't need PR or settled status, and could apply for naturalisation if you comply with all requirements. Your wife could apply for (pre-)settled status: https://www.gov.uk/settled-status-eu-ci ... led-status.
Nothing to do with the Latvian embassy (though EU embassies do provide some information).
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.
Please do not send me private messages asking for advice.

badhodor
Mood:
India

Re: Non-EU with ILR married to EU citizen and living in UK. Registration or Residence Card?

Post by badhodor » Wed May 15, 2019 10:35 am

Thanks for your reply.

I think I might have posted this question in the wrong thread.
Let me better explain myself. I understand that with ILR I don't need anything from a UK immigration perspective, but I was exploring the possibility of getting a Latvian residence/registration card while living in UK as my wife is Latvian.

To play out the situation:
Scenario 1:

If brexit happens, my wife will be latvian, with pre-settled status, baby will be latvian, british and have Indian OCI and I will have british citizenship (or ILR). If I want to work anywhere in EU, I will have to exercise my wife's close Family member route then? Provided there is hard brexit and nothing is agreed.

Or is it possible to get a PR/temporary residence/registration card so that we can look to work in EU the way we would if brexit was not in the picture?

Scenario 2:

If brexit doesn't happen, then it's not at all relevant as I should be able to work based on my UK citizenship (in due course).

Apologies if I posted it in the wrong thread, my rationale behind it was that we are living in UK so, perhaps the embassy and the rules are different compared to when living in my wife's home country.

Hope that makes sense.